Korg Polysix vst and Korg Polysix RE sound exactly the same (damn near)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mreese80

29 Dec 2015

i realized i had been loading up the wrong one all this time. i have the korg legacy collection. i had been loading up the mono poly for some reason. i thought thats what the RE extension was. silly me. i had them side by side. same presets. sound exactly the same except reason sounds just a little bit thicker...vst is a 9.5 & the RE is a 10. ill just use vst versions from now on. ill just bounce the audio and reimport back into reason. no since in having the same thing. now fx is different. i would purchase those if the ones i wanted would become available in reason.,
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Resonator

29 Dec 2015

Do you also have the iPolysix for the iPad? I just bought it at the end of the sale. But I haven't compared it to the RE yet. The iPad version offers a lot more effects as well as a hi-pass filter. I'm liking it more than the RE. The filter resonance seems a lot higher. But I'll have to do an A/B comparison to see if that's true or just my memory escaping me.

mreese80

29 Dec 2015

Resonator wrote:Do you also have the iPolysix for the iPad? I just bought it at the end of the sale. But I haven't compared it to the RE yet. The iPad version offers a lot more effects as well as a hi-pass filter. I'm liking it more than the RE. The filter resonance seems a lot higher. But I'll have to do an A/B comparison to see if that's true or just my memory escaping me.
No i don't. i have it only for vst. i demo'd the RE yesterday. i had them side by side. the RE was a bit fuller, thicker, but it wasn't by much. Of course everything sounds better in reason. idk y but it does. but i can just bounce the keys and import into reason than transpose. i dont have an ipad. the RE sounds good. i'm just not willing to pay for something again to have in another daw. i'll continue to rewire or bounce the audio if i have to
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Resonator

29 Dec 2015

I tried the VST over 10 years ago. But I don't own it and can't compare it to the RE. But I do recall when the RE was released that others have mentioned it sounded better than the VST which makes sense due to technology improvements. Tomorrow, I'll compare the RE to the iOS version since I'm sure I'll hear some differences, especially in the lowpass filter.

mreese80

30 Dec 2015

Resonator wrote:I tried the VST over 10 years ago. But I don't own it and can't compare it to the RE. But I do recall when the RE was released that others have mentioned it sounded better than the VST which makes sense due to technology improvements. Tomorrow, I'll compare the RE to the iOS version since I'm sure I'll hear some differences, especially in the lowpass filter.
now dont get me wrong...it does sound better...but its damn near the same. To me, everything sounds better in reason. ive never had another daw sound the same as reason. load a audio file in ableton, mpc studio, sounds different. Reason has more warmth. just fuller sounding.

chk071

30 Dec 2015

Hm, i always was under the impression that the VST, RE, and iPad version should sound exactly the same. I mean, i really can't imagine they rewrote the DSP engine for the RE and iOS versions, or enhanced the sound or anything. Pretty sure that they're all the same.
:reason: :rebirth:

mreese80

31 Dec 2015

chk071 wrote:Hm, i always was under the impression that the VST, RE, and iPad version should sound exactly the same. I mean, i really can't imagine they rewrote the DSP engine for the RE and iOS versions, or enhanced the sound or anything. Pretty sure that they're all the same.
its the same...Reason just sounds better. everything in reason sounds better.

chk071

31 Dec 2015

:D

Fair enough.
:reason: :rebirth:

nooomy

31 Dec 2015

Well.. The vst has built in fx and the rack extension dose not, so I would be weird if you didn't hear any difference.

If you disable the fx in the vst and set exactly the same settings on the rack extensions you will not hear any diffrence...

Resonator

02 Jan 2016

Back to my comparison with the RE and the iOS version, they both sound identical including the filter, just incase anyone was curious. It's nice having the Polysix on both platforms since I can go anywhere with the iPad. I can't swap patches like I can with Thor. But I can live with it. Being able to swap patches between Thor in iOS and Reason is just more of a bonus.

• Information