Nektar Panorama company Forgot Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
arqui

19 Dec 2015

Hello, I am very angry with the company Nektar.
a keyboard that was born to reason, with many updates.
now expanded to other software, and forgot reason, we support the outset.
already more than a year will not update anything, and give us a poor tutorial we update for us.
I wrote them and said they did not know when they are being updated.
the truth really bad about this policy of neglect those who supported them from the beginning.
where he remained all the initial advertising?
too bad... :puf_unhappy:
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

CharlyCharlzz

19 Dec 2015

yhea they forgot with who they started with... maybe , shame but a special keyboard with a special software make it a niche into a niche .

it only mean one thing , they are not doing well at nektar otherwise they would make vst update faster and still do RE updates .

I cant really say I care anyway , got my mpk 25 mini LOL
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

decibel

19 Dec 2015

yeah i might sell my P6, i never use it

Alkua

19 Dec 2015

Thanks for the info, I was thinking to buy one (P4 or P6) but if they are not updating Reason features, I will keep my MPD32 and my Midi Keyboard.

QVprod

19 Dec 2015

Sadly when you look at how considerably better the integrations with Cubase, Reaper, Logic, Bitwig, and even Mainstage are compared to the Reason integration.... it's completely understandable. Can't blame them for focusing on DAWs that allow them to really show off what their product can do.

*Though maybe, the new focus feature in Reason 8 makes controlling fx a better experience? Having to create a track to control fx in Reason with the panorama kills the whole vibe.

Lizard

19 Dec 2015

Not sure they "forgot" the Reason community but there has for sure been a delay in any development. I was lucky enough to have some 1 on 1 communication with them to learn how to create my own maps for it. So when there is a device not supported by them and I buy it I can make my own. As I do I'll be glad to share with the community. But this of course only (mostly) serves me. I already have a thread here so feel free to check in. I will get some more over time and as I do i will map them and for the devices I am lucky to test before they are released I can map them too.

In my discussions with them they have been doing a lot of work with issues that arose from the latest Mac OS update and that seems to have had some urgency. That with upcoming holidays I'm sure doesn't help. I believe they may get to providing better documentation on creating Maps so that users won't have to be as dependent on waiting for the latest update. Fingers crossed.

tumar

20 Dec 2015

My P4 died completely few months ago and paradoxically now I'm happy without that crappy piece of hardware.

arqui

20 Dec 2015

Lizard wrote:Not sure they "forgot" the Reason community but there has for sure been a delay in any development. I was lucky enough to have some 1 on 1 communication with them to learn how to create my own maps for it. So when there is a device not supported by them and I buy it I can make my own. As I do I'll be glad to share with the community. But this of course only (mostly) serves me. I already have a thread here so feel free to check in. I will get some more over time and as I do i will map them and for the devices I am lucky to test before they are released I can map them too.

In my discussions with them they have been doing a lot of work with issues that arose from the latest Mac OS update and that seems to have had some urgency. That with upcoming holidays I'm sure doesn't help. I believe they may get to providing better documentation on creating Maps so that users won't have to be as dependent on waiting for the latest update. Fingers crossed.

Hi LIzard How are you?
I agree with what you say, but ... if I am I have to make my own maps, this keyboard ends up being like the competition. generic!!! that's not what they sold me
they promised to be constantly updated, and take more than a year out of date (last map update 2014/11/15), and on Monday they answered do not know when they will do. I do not think a serious response from someone who promised something different to sell your product.

I do not buy this keyboard to create maps, I buy to make music and forget the maps.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Lizard

20 Dec 2015

And I do understand that feeling. I feel the length of time between the last update is way overdue. As a Reason controller it is still among the bunch the most capable of controllers on the market. But still it is hard to recommend to people a controller that the company doesn't deliver the promise of keeping up with the new changes (i.e. Re). I don't think they deliberately are doing it but have an overwhelming backlog of work to do. It would be great if they were able to develop software that users could quickly make their own maps without having to know how to actually code the maps. Fingers crossed for the future.

Skullture

20 Dec 2015

tumar wrote:My P4 died completely few months ago and paradoxically now I'm happy without that crappy piece of hardware.
Could you still warrant it?

tumar

20 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
tumar wrote:My P4 died completely few months ago and paradoxically now I'm happy without that crappy piece of hardware.
Could you still warrant it?
Unfortunately not. It doesn't switch on, it's huge doorstep now. I don't even know, what to do with that crap. I think I'll send it to local e-waste recycling point.

gak

20 Dec 2015

It's because reason, refills and RE's are dead.

I'm disappointed too. Hopefully they are not in some financial trouble and are working on stuff soon.

Resonator

20 Dec 2015

Glad I never bought the damned thing.

EnochLight

20 Dec 2015

Meh... I'm disappointed as well that they haven't released an update in ages, but it's still the best controller for Reason. It has no equal.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

21 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:Meh... I'm disappointed as well that they haven't released an update in ages, but it's still the best controller for Reason. It has no equal.
"Alex, I'll take correct answers for 1000"

shredmiyagi

29 Dec 2015

The keybed and pitch bend always felt stiff, and I'll agree the mixer/fx implentation is much more natural on Logic...

But it is still the best thing Reason has going. There are a handful of REs that don't work, but Predator does, and it's a lot of fun.

My one wish is for a Redrum/TB303 step-sequence midi controller. I'm shocked no one's ever tried to implement one; might've been because of Redrums remote-limitations, but apparently after R8 you can midi-control anything.

Lizard

29 Dec 2015

I would definitely go to battle with anyone that argues that there is a more integrated controller for Reason. Regardless of the lack of updates it still has a lot of Re's mapped as well as the core devices. But anything from the past year is absent. I surely hoped they would have at least kept u with the more popular synths/effects that came out. I still maintain optimism.

On the hardware side I have had a few frowns. My automated fader has hardly ever worked. I've tried all options to get it working right to no avail. So I've given up on that. The pads are not comfotable to play. They are very stiff and hard to set the right sensitivity level to them. My Korg Taktile has a much better feel in that department. And my biggest batch is with the plexi window to the LCD screen that once removed (not sure how my first one did in the first place) it does not seat again well. it is only held in place by adhesive. So when I pick it up and transport it the window is always falling off. I'm in fear one day it will get lost or worse.. damage my screen. This is why I got the Taktile. It is my travel controller now.

AJTIV

15 Jan 2016

Strange. I was saving up for a P4. I've emailed them today with a list of 4-5 star rated RE's that they need to add support for. What good is a controller designed specifically for Reason if half of the most popular RE's aren't even mapped?
:reason: :re: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

19 Jan 2016

AJTIV wrote:Strange. I was saving up for a P4. I've emailed them today with a list of 4-5 star rated RE's that they need to add support for. What good is a controller designed specifically for Reason if half of the most popular RE's aren't even mapped?
It's great for the other half that are mapped, plus all native Reason devices. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AJTIV

19 Jan 2016

From what I've heard you are correct. I think they still need to take the time to map the new popular REs. If they don't, the OP has a point.

gak

19 Jan 2016

Small company, maybe they lost someone internally (I really don't know though), they switched from S1 to bitwig for controlling....

But they haven't updated any of the software aspect from May of 2015.

Maybe something will come up at Namm.

Lizard

19 Jan 2016

I think that the only questionable fault with Nektar is the lack of mapping activity over the past year.... or should I say year+? I stand by the ability of this controller so buying it is a good buy even if only for the fact is controls Reason stock devices. This is because it does it very well and makes for a seamless workflow. Most everything can be controlled from the keyboard itself. But yeah.... lack of updates has us all concerned that the Reason community is no longer the favorite child. :|

AJTIV

19 Jan 2016

There are two issues:

1) If the company has not updated the controller for seamless use with the newer and more popular RE's then that means the experience using the controller is not "seamless" anymore, but rather simply "helpful" in some aspects, particularly for people who use a lot of newer RE's, like Zero hybrid or Vecto, or Quad which are not supported by the controller. So, if you are in that situation exactly, or in a similar situation, then the controller goes from being "seamless" to be being "not seamless" - the whole justification for a $500 price tag on the P4 is that it offers the "seamless" experience. So either you will pay the same price for something other than what was promised, or you will be limited by the controller in terms of what RE's you can use.

2) If the company will not update the controller for use with said RE's, or future RE's, then the return on investment gets worse with every new RE purchase. The final result will be a controller that does less than half of what it was intended to do.

Since I use mostly RE's in Reason now, this is a pretty big issue.

I do use stock devices too, and love them, but the price tag on a new Panorama controller is NOT justified when the company has promised to continue its support for Reason, and is currently failing to live up to that promise. This might not be true for somebody who only wants to use the stock devices, but what happens when Reason 9 comes out? Will the controller even be updated then? What is combinators end up having double the button/rotary count or some other feature? I guess the Panorama series will be a half-seamless controller, which is not what it was intended for, not how its marketed, and not worth what they are asking for it. Its also a big let down to the people who bought it believing the company when they said "we are dedicated to continuing our support for Reason".

gak

19 Jan 2016

Well, I'm not clairvoyant, but I don't think reason 9 is coming any time soon, so worrying about that is not really a thing :mrgreen:

Lizard

20 Jan 2016

@AJTIV

I will concede in saying "seamless". Yeah... I used the word but perhaps too bold to make that statement. ;) That said... as far as workflow and giving the most functionality between control surface and software I still find the Panorama hard to beat. They may not do it... but the capability for just about all Re to be mapped is there. I'd do it myself and have put a fair amount of time in to already doing so however I have to generally have access to the Re to test it. This means own it or try it which is either really expensive or wasting my trial time on mapping instead of seeing if the Re is right for me. :( So I map the ones I own and it solves my own problem. I believe they are trying to appeal to all markets (greater markets) that ensure further sales of their product. That is the the crux of it all isn't it. Selling to Reason users is one tenth of the market right? Lack of updates would seem to me that there are bigger fish to catch. Sadly. But I do not think they ever said they would map every Re either. It was just sold on the idea that updates to support Re development would be continued through updates.

With regards to future compatibility with Reason? Who can say right? Propellerhead can change everything at their discretion. But when have they? Look at the stock devices which have changed very little if at all since they were introduced in whatever version they came out with. In fact the Combinator is the only device I can recall that did change and that was with additional targets in the matrix. Propellerhead has seemed to be very consistent in staying... well... consistent. :lol: So I would not worry about if the Panorama was to lose functionality over time. It is programmable after all and you are allowed to create Macros for common keyboard keystrokes. If new functionality is created you can create a Macro for it. But navigating between racks, sequencer and mixer will still be there. Create new instrument will be there. Patch up/down and all that will still be there.

It is just supporting new Re......

• Information