Anyone got Elektron?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Leighbeater

05 Dec 2015

I've been looking at these boxes on youtube for a while

i really want to step away from the computer every now and then but still make music (work at the computer all day for work)

has anybody got experience with using either the Octatrak or Analog 4?

sentient.minority

05 Dec 2015

Leighbeater wrote:I've been looking at these boxes on youtube for a while

i really want to step away from the computer every now and then but still make music (work at the computer all day for work)

has anybody got experience with using either the Octatrak or Analog 4?
Got an Analog Four, Analog Rytm and Octatrack.

What do you want to know?

freeQlow

05 Dec 2015

elektronauts.Com

They are more like nuts over there.

freeQlow

05 Dec 2015

If you have other hardware synths, racks or drum machines, could make a difference.

If I could pick 1, Octatrack

Leighbeater

06 Dec 2015

sentient.minority wrote:

I guess the main thing i want to ask is whats it like working with these boxes?

Does it allow you step away from the computer and make music, sketch out musical ideas or are you going to your computer just as much as before you got them?

How is the small display, do you continually have to look at it to get where you want or after a while you can do everything by feel?

I had a look at the Rytm as well, that looks impressive as well, if you were only to get one of the boxes, which one would you get?

Leighbeater

06 Dec 2015

freeQlow wrote:If you have other hardware synths, racks or drum machines, could make a difference.

Octatrak does look like a beast, i havn't got any other hardware, I am all ITB thats why i am seriously thinking getting something, if i was to get one of these Elektrons it would be a hard decision picking between them

sentient.minority

07 Dec 2015

Leighbeater wrote:
sentient.minority wrote:

I guess the main thing i want to ask is whats it like working with these boxes?

Does it allow you step away from the computer and make music, sketch out musical ideas or are you going to your computer just as much as before you got them?

How is the small display, do you continually have to look at it to get where you want or after a while you can do everything by feel?

I had a look at the Rytm as well, that looks impressive as well, if you were only to get one of the boxes, which one would you get?
Thing is that they are all very different, the three boxes individually cover analogue mono synthesis, analogue drums and sampling.

There is some crossover between units in that the A4 can do drums and the Rytm can play back samples chromatically but neither is a replacement for the other.

The Octatrack can obviously do both jobs but relies purely on samples. The Octatrack is the most versatile of the bunch but is incredibly deep and complex, the learning curve is pretty much vertical and the restrictions of sampling apply universally.

The A4 and Rytm have a lot in common in terms of their layout and functions, I have found my way round these pretty quickly and can say that working with them is now painless. Once you grasp the overall operation you will be fine. It is still necessary to watch the screen as there are many options but once the sequencer is running the button combinations become pretty familiar.

There is now Overbridge for A4 and Rytm which allows the units to function as a hardware VSTi but at the moment seems to be in beta stage for everything except Ableton Live (and is still short of features, "WHERE'S THE SAMPLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FOR RYTM"). Obviously this feature is of little use within Reason but the units can still be linked via MIDI.

I still use my computer fairly often but if you are looking for a synth for sketching out ideas you ought to take a look at the OP-1 by Teenage Engineering: https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1 I have one of these and love it, very fast for getting ideas together and is a lot deeper than you might think, it also has a Reason MIDI controller setting.

I hope this helps.

satyr32

07 Dec 2015

I have an Analog Keys, the Monomachine and the Machinedrum.
What I can say is that is it much harder to produce a finished track like you would in Reason.
On the other hand you can play 24 hours straight live without preparing any sounds or melodies which would be very hard in Reason.
The music I produce with Reason and the one i produce with the Elektrons is miles apart. Neither is better or worse, just different. Different tools lead to different outcome. The Elektron gear is by far the best gear I ever used. 100% recommendation to buy. There is a bit of a learning curve and you have to know the quirks, but if you master your instrument it is powerful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

07 Dec 2015

oh and what is also cool. if you master one device, you more or less mastered all of them. The octatrack is maybe an exception and more different than the other machines.

Leighbeater

08 Dec 2015

sentient.minority wrote:
I hope this helps.

Yes thanks for that run down

Leighbeater

08 Dec 2015

satyr32 wrote: Different tools lead to different outcome. The Elektron gear is by far the best gear I ever used. 100% recommendation to buy. There is a bit of a learning curve and you have to know the quirks, but if you master your instrument it is powerful.
Yes i won't give up on making music within Reason, just on days that i don't feel like staring at the screen any longer. I totally agree about coming up with different material depending on the tools you use, I take that as a positive, keeps me fresh. Thanks for the feedback

satyr32

08 Dec 2015

What kind of music/genres you intend to do?

Leighbeater

08 Dec 2015

I'm hopeless in sticking to a certain type of genre, mainly because of my ignorance with the different types of EDM, i come from a 3 piece guitar band based background but have been experimenting with sloppy four on the floor, broken beats, dirty ambient textures and sequenced mono motifs for a while now, not only because i don't know what the heck i am doing but because i love every second of it. I don't if that is making any sense?

In other words i don't know what i am doing so i will call it experimental :)

freeQlow

10 Dec 2015

Leighbeater wrote:
freeQlow wrote:If you have other hardware synths, racks or drum machines, could make a difference.

Octatrak does look like a beast, i havn't got any other hardware, I am all ITB thats why i am seriously thinking getting something, if i was to get one of these Elektrons it would be a hard decision picking between them
Something to consider if you can't snag a used one would be a blofeld or pulse 2.

One thing that may turn away a first time buyer from Elektron would be a lot of menu diving.

I believe the Octatrack picks a lot of dj/live performance hands on abilities that might be easier on the wallet and more DAW centered from Novation and Akai midi controllers.
It's a beast of a sampler and plays well with others.

Leighbeater

10 Dec 2015

freeQlow wrote:
Something to consider if you can't snag a used one would be a blofeld or pulse 2.
Funny you say that, the guy at the music store mentioned those 2 synths,

checked them on Youtube they both sound really good especially for the price

freeQlow

11 Dec 2015

If youre in the US...
You can wait for one to list at ... used.guitarcenter.com
demo/opened box/blow outs at.... sweetwater,
Other great places for Waldorf or Elektron after you get in touch with a sales rep via email.... jrrshop.com
Reps can often get you 10-30% off..... I was quoted $1649.00 for a brand new DSI Pro2

Musicians tired of eBay use reverb.com

last but not least, if you're in the USA, have a checking account (not opened recently) with no recent over drafts, bad credit.... you can get a Waldorf on a 3-5 month payment plan but no go on Elektron....
zzounds.Com
americanmusical.com

Elektronauts.com see a lot of turnover on used or like new elektron gear tho.

Leighbeater

14 Dec 2015

freeQlow wrote:If youre in the US...
You can wait for one to list at ... used.guitarcenter.com
demo/opened box/blow outs at.... sweetwater,
Other great places for Waldorf or Elektron after you get in touch with a sales rep via email.... jrrshop.com
Reps can often get you 10-30% off..... I was quoted $1649.00 for a brand new DSI Pro2

Musicians tired of eBay use reverb.com

last but not least, if you're in the USA, have a checking account (not opened recently) with no recent over drafts, bad credit.... you can get a Waldorf on a 3-5 month payment plan but no go on Elektron....
zzounds.Com
americanmusical.com

Elektronauts.com see a lot of turnover on used or like new elektron gear tho.
thanks, it would be good if i was in the US however i live in Australia, the AUD is killing us now that its gone down, i will be looking at a secondhand synth or drum machine after xmas... hopefully someone wont like their present :)

after reading a fair bit about the different Elektron machines I am really leaning towards the Rytm, I having been eyeing the Bass Station 2 off as well due to the price being more in my budget, sounds great as well

freeQlow

25 Dec 2015

Here is my current hardware "on the fly setup"
Drums
Acid lab Miami
Volca Beats
Roland JD-Xi
Synths
Roland JD-Xi
Waldorf Blofeld (haven't upgraded to Drums)
Moog Mother 32 (Backorder January or February)

I may return the JD-Xi and try the JDXa
although I have 45 days, and may have time to get inside the Moog 32. ... the other big Synth I would love is the DSI pro 2.

I've been thinking of contacting Perfect Circuit Audio, seeing about trading in my 808 for a couple Elektron units

• Information