How many cores does Reason need?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joet63

20 Nov 2015

Hi, I'm looking to buying a secondhand MacPro and I just wanted to know if more cores meant more ooommpphh! I know that more RAM does help boost operational tasks within the computer, but is it worth buying a 12 core machine or just going with a 6 or 8 core machine?

Any help would be very much appreciated :puf_smile:

Thanks

Joe
:adapted: :reason: :record: :recycle: :refill: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :ignition: :re: :PUF_figure: :rt:
R5 Record iMac 2.0 Core 2 Duo 4Gb of RAM

jonheal

20 Nov 2015

It is multiple processor aware.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

EnochLight

20 Nov 2015

joet63 wrote:Hi, I'm looking to buying a secondhand MacPro and I just wanted to know if more cores meant more ooommpphh! I know that more RAM does help boost operational tasks within the computer, but is it worth buying a 12 core machine or just going with a 6 or 8 core machine?

Any help would be very much appreciated :puf_smile:

Thanks

Joe
Reason will utilize as many logical cores as you throw at it, minus 1. Virtual cores are utilized just for high quality stretch and resample, disc i/o, and some GUI processing. In other words, assuming you are on an Intel processor that utilizes Hyperthreading, the more (logical) cores the better. If you can afford a 12-core (Intel) machine, then Reason will certainly enjoy utilizing those cores.

Reason is not affected by RAM as much as the speed of your processor/amount of cores, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

21 Nov 2015

You must have a 64 core system.

(trollface)

This is a really big debate in the computer world right now. One problem is reason is known to suffer from the "although we have a bunch of bars, we only really allow 3-4 bars before gaging" issue. GHZ is still really relevant with reason. When I was able to run with OC'ing (long story, please don't make me cry repeating it) it was much better. Point being not sure you need more cores with LESS GHZ.

My 4770k is 3.5GHZ. It's a-yight.

Something like that, a decent board, 16GB of ram (to be safe) and a good SSD (samsung evo) and you should be pretty much golden unless you run at ridiculously low buffers or really high sample rates (I come in at a very modest 44.1k/128 buffer)

Also keep in mind, the core stuff in reason takes basically nothing in CPU. It's some of the RE's that can add up.

joet63

21 Nov 2015

Hi Everyone, thanks for replying :-)
My old laptop has been struggling to run R6.5 , I have also an iMac 17" which is an intel mac 2.0Ghz with 4Gb Ram and is fine just now but I want to upgrade before long and have a machine that'll last a good few years (hopefully)
Being not very tech savvy, I get a bit lost with the jargon sometimes, but I understand that I need have a good bit of grunt (Ghz)
I understand that Reason itself isn't resource hungry, it was when Record and RE's come into play and the CPU went a bit haywire.
I'm hoping to get a 12 core machine for much cheapness lolol If not I'll probably go for a 8 or 6 core machine and then upgrade at a later date.
:puf_bigsmile:

I wouldn't want to make you cry gak, although I like a good story :puf_bigsmile:
:adapted: :reason: :record: :recycle: :refill: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :ignition: :re: :PUF_figure: :rt:

gak

22 Nov 2015

(shrug) LSS, the short period of time my 4770k was able to be overclocked at 20% (which meant it ran about 4.2GHZ) was a SIGNIFICANT difference in CPU use. So 3.5ghz, meh, 4.2, much better. Windows 10, questionable mobo (pretty sure that is actually the main issue) and 8.3 (vs 8.2 which I swear was better CPU wise) and houston....we have a problem.

W/o a techno-babble debate, leaves me to wonder if still, not like so many other eras in computers, GHZ doesn't still reign supreme ;)

gak

22 Nov 2015

And a couple of other things (while my pea-brain thinks of it)

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... tress+test

A bunch of this is me and some weird issues. But go to page 3 and look at "ocalot1" and notice the UBER CPU! First and ONLY person to play through this (congrats) But, as jelly as we all are, look that the GHZ. It's OC'ed at 4.5. ;)

Again, that makes me wonder, is it really the cores, or the GHZ? Point being, that a really good chip, with a good MOBO/ OC'ed at 4+ gh might be the sweet spot vs mad cash for "cores"

Be careful too of "benchmarks". I mean, of course mo' is better, but it doesn't always equal DAW performance. (not to mention soundcards can be drastically different)

YMMV.

joet63

22 Nov 2015

Hi gak, thank you for telling me your story! It will help me I'm sure!
I had a look at page 3, and it was impressive to say the least, hopefully I can aspire to that level! Thank you for helping me gather the info on my quest for a new machine!!
I'm using an MBox 2 as my soundcard, my probablity is that I'll end up with a old machine that'll be fine for me and it'll run my old 6.5 Reason lol

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2015

Three. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joet63

22 Nov 2015

Hahahahahahha nice one Selig!! :puf_bigsmile:

• Information