Roland JP-08 Module

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
skie

06 Nov 2015

How do you all feel about this Jupiter reissue of sorts? Looks kind of cheap, doesn't even have 1/4" outputs, but it sounds great on the demo http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JP08

Lizard

06 Nov 2015

My only contention with the module (and any in the series) is that the JP-08 is modeled after the Jupiter 8 which meant 8 voices.... yet this only has 4. :shock: :?

skie

06 Nov 2015

True, they want you to buy the other reissue modules which then enables you to get 8 voices it seems. I'm debating this it looks like a lot of fun.

ScuzzyEye

06 Nov 2015

I'm a retro video game enthusiast. Unlike some others with the same interests, I don't mind playing games in an emulator. Sometimes that's the only affordable way to see some of the rare classics. What I absolutely hate though are the systems on a chip. Basically an emulator running on a low-power CPU, with integrated video and audio DACs that bare no resemblance to the original hardware.

That's how I see these digital recreations of old analog synths. I don't get the point of them. They charge a premium for what's basically a plug-in running inside a fancy box. I would either run the plug-in on my own computer, or get the original hardware. These synths-on-a-chip are simply cashing in on nostalgia, just like the clone video game consoles with they 80 games built-in.

At least the console cloners have the courtesy to give you multiple options in one box. There's no reason one of these clone synths couldn't include their entire retro line-up in one box, and let you select between them.

Lizard

06 Nov 2015

Yeah. I feel the same way. It's not quite the same. May be close but won't be the same. In fact these modules are increasing the capabilities with more waveforms and LFO types. To me that's not preserving the integrity of the original units. It actually gives a false representation of what the originals were. Kind of like adding additional levels to Zelda. Not cool!

I have a 3P and a 106 and Arturia's Jupiter 8. I will probably skip these. Probably would be fun for about a week but then collect dust in my collection after that. They are surely pretty but pricey too. I can think better ways to spend near $1000. Like mother.

And retro game emulation... check out Launchbox at https://www.launchbox-app.com . It a great all in one shell.

Exowildebeest

06 Nov 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I'm a retro video game enthusiast. Unlike some others with the same interests, I don't mind playing games in an emulator. Sometimes that's the only affordable way to see some of the rare classics. What I absolutely hate though are the systems on a chip. Basically an emulator running on a low-power CPU, with integrated video and audio DACs that bare no resemblance to the original hardware.

That's how I see these digital recreations of old analog synths. I don't get the point of them. They charge a premium for what's basically a plug-in running inside a fancy box. I would either run the plug-in on my own computer, or get the original hardware. These synths-on-a-chip are simply cashing in on nostalgia, just like the clone video game consoles with they 80 games built-in.

At least the console cloners have the courtesy to give you multiple options in one box. There's no reason one of these clone synths couldn't include their entire retro line-up in one box, and let you select between them.
I agree. Clever hardware design can compensate (those 808 and 303 remakes seem to be at least well designed hardware), but in this case... Expensive for 4 voices :?

raymondh

06 Nov 2015

I have my pre-order in for the JP-08. It doesn't arrive in NZ until end of November.

I think it sounds great. I've listened to every video and Soundcloud demo and A-B comparison, and while it definitely sounds a bit different to the real JP-8, it's close enough to be convincing in a mix, and it just sounds great!

My only reservation is the 4 voice limitation. But my Mopho X4 is only 4 voices and I am more than happy with that. Sometimes having the polyphony limitation is good, because it forces you to be disciplined in voicing so you make parts that fit into a mix, but from a performance perspective, I completely agree with the concerns around polyphony, especially if you want to use dual mode. My plan is to multi-track where I need more polyphony. That's what I already do with my Mopho x4 and even my 6 voice JX-8P.

Is this just another VST/plug-in in a separate box that Roland can charge exhorbitant $$ for? Who cares. The real question is for the $670 or so New Zealand dollars it will cost me, will I get that value back in the music I'm inspired to make with it. That's the real question.

I have the demo version of Arturia's Jupiter 8v, and I find it clunky to use with Reason, it takes a while to start up, and for some reason I'm not inspired to use it, which is a shame because it would cost a lot less money than the JP08 and have a lot more polyphony. But there's threads around with people who owned the Jupiter 8V soft synth and consider it significantly inferior to the JP-08. My ideal would have been to have a Jupiter emulation as a Rack Extension but I've emailed Arturia and it's not on the radar.

I guess we'll see in time whether it was a good purchasing decision, but for now I really like what Roland are doing and I'm voting with my wallet :)

eXode

06 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:They are surely pretty but pricey too. I can think better ways to spend near $1000. Like mother.
The JX/JU is $299 respectively, and the JP is $399. Near $1000 is if you get all three. I do not understand how that translates to pricey tbh.

My gripe with the JP-08 is the decision to stick with 4 voices. I would have paid another $100 to get 8 voices.

Here's a little cool jam with all three boutiques:

eusti

06 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:
Lizard wrote:They are surely pretty but pricey too. I can think better ways to spend near $1000. Like mother.
The JX/JU is $299 respectively, and the JP is $399. Near $1000 is if you get all three. I do not understand how that translates to pricey tbh.

My gripe with the JP-08 is the decision to stick with 4 voices. I would have paid another $100 to get 8 voices.

Maybe the $ 1000 is when you buy two JPs and the keyboard? (399 + 399 + 99(?))

D.

Lizard

07 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:I do not understand how that translates to pricey tbh.
Pricey is going to be a relative term Daniel and one to the opinion of he/she who thinks so right? We are after all talking opinion. Pricey... for me... since I own two of the three they are emulating (still short two voices on JX/JU models btw). And the one I do not have is the most expensive ($399) at half the voices of the original. Also, forget about touching an original as you know as anything less than $4K is staling one and that is "pricey" by anyone's standards. So yeah... maybe the JP is not going to break the bank but considering price vs. value I'm gonna have to say pass. I could do a lot more with $800. I will agree though, I am a sucker for any synth. It would be fun to play with. There is no denying that... so would Mother-32.

eXode

07 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:
eXode wrote:I do not understand how that translates to pricey tbh.
Pricey is going to be a relative term Daniel and one to the opinion of he/she who thinks so right? We are after all talking opinion. Pricey... for me... since I own two of the three they are emulating (still short two voices on JX/JU models btw). And the one I do not have is the most expensive ($399) at half the voices of the original. Also, forget about touching an original as you know as anything less than $4K is staling one and that is "pricey" by anyone's standards. So yeah... maybe the JP is not going to break the bank but considering price vs. value I'm gonna have to say pass. I could do a lot more with $800. I will agree though, I am a sucker for any synth. It would be fun to play with. There is no denying that... so would Mother-32.
Yes I agree that It's relative, but I frowned when you stated that it was pricey coupled with the fact that it wasn't clear what you meant when you wrote "near $1000 dollars", as that's not the price for one unit. :)

eXode

07 Nov 2015

For the price of the JP-08 one could get the Novation Ultranova or Mininova though (Ultra is slightly more expensive). The Ulra/Mininova give you a much more sophisticated synthesizer engine coupled with a software editor, although it doesn't offer the same hands on control.

raymondh

07 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:For the price of the JP-08 one could get the Novation Ultranova or Mininova though (Ultra is slightly more expensive). The Ulra/Mininova give you a much more sophisticated synthesizer engine coupled with a software editor, although it doesn't offer the same hands on control.
.. and it doesn't sound like, or present any illusion of sounding like a Jupiter 8 either.

Maybe the main audience for these JP-08's is nostalgia freaks like me!

freeQlow

07 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:

A Minty Jupiter 8 will run $6,000-$8,000
106, $1000
If you find one for less it's not so mint, needs work, expensive work.
Not expecting these to replace the originals, but I'm expecting to have some fun with them, after Christmas.

freeQlow

07 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:For the price of the JP-08 one could get the Novation Ultranova or Mininova though (Ultra is slightly more expensive). The Ulra/Mininova give you a much more sophisticated synthesizer engine coupled with a software editor, although it doesn't offer the same hands on control.
Registered mininova owners can now download the moroder patches too.

I agree with everyone on JP4 not being 8.

raymondh

08 Nov 2015

Here's a nice new demo.

Anyone picked up a JP-08 yet (or any other Boutique synth) and have any impressions to share?

raymondh

29 Nov 2015

Hi all

I've had my JP-08s for 24 hours now. Initial impressions:
- they sure are tiny / cute
- they sound amazing. At the top end there is a bit of aliasing and a bit bright, but nothing that can't be tamed.
- sound very analog, and like my "real" analog synths, they're a bit tricky to mix.
- you need two, polychained to get 8 voices, or 4 in dual mode. I previously commented that 4 should be enough, just use appropriate voicing an multi-tracking ... I was wrong and take that back. I think 4 voices on one of these feels very constrictive.
- I've never had or used a real Jupiter 8, but these sound way better than the Jupiter 8v VST.
- Yes the controls are small, but still very enticing to use and tweak - in fact much more so than my Mopho x4, probably because there is zero menu diving and each slider/rotary has exactly one function.

cheers :)

iramrezso

08 Jan 2016

I like this synth though I haven't had time enough to dive into this stuff.
However I have a question. Does anybody know what the modulation wheel/ribbon is for? Resonance change? Filter frequency sweep? I don't see any target setting on the synth regarding to modulation.

O1B

24 Sep 2017

Just checking back. How'd that Mother work out?

Looks like the JU-06 - after being discontinued - jumped from $300 to $4-500 in the aftermarkets - between Oct 16 and Sept 17.
https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/22 ... und-module

I didn't expect that. Nice Investment, it seems.

Lizard wrote:
06 Nov 2015
Yeah. I feel the same way. It's not quite the same. May be close but won't be the same. In fact these modules are increasing the capabilities with more waveforms and LFO types. To me that's not preserving the integrity of the original units. It actually gives a false representation of what the originals were. Kind of like adding additional levels to Zelda. Not cool!

I have a 3P and a 106 and Arturia's Jupiter 8. I will probably skip these. Probably would be fun for about a week but then collect dust in my collection after that. They are surely pretty but pricey too. I can think better ways to spend near $1000. Like mother.

And retro game emulation... check out Launchbox at https://www.launchbox-app.com . It a great all in one shell.

raymondh

24 Sep 2017

Thread resurrected!

An update from my side: I ended up with one JU-06 and two JP-08s.

(Didn't get the JX 03 as I already have a JX-8P).

The JP-08 sounds great. I have the Arturia Jupiter 8 which is useful, but I don't think it sounds as beefy as the JP-08.
The JP-08 also has a great chorus (CC 93) that really livens up the sound. Three general comments -
- You really need to play around with the filter to find the 'sweet spot'. You can do it with the tiny sliders, but it's easier with the external editors.
- Roland did a poor job with the poly chaining of two units. It is useful for playing chords with > 4 notes, but it does not do round-robin allocation, so if you have long releases you'll get voice stealing. This is the biggest weakness of the units IMO.
- Like a vintage synth, to really make it shine, add FX (reverb, delay, compression). My favourite is the delays in Echobode.

The JU-06 also sounds fantastic.
While the JP-08 is much more flexible/versatile, the JU-06 is super easy to program, and it is difficult to make it sound bad! A very musical instrument, fun to program from the controls. With the sub-oscillator this thing makes room shattering bass. I would suggest the bass, while typically-Juno coloured, is as deep as my Mopho - something analog purists would hate to hear!

I don't agree with the cynics that this is just a plug-in in a box. Yes it is basically a computer running software. But that doesn't make it any less of an instrument than any other digital synth or sampler eg the Fairlight, Synclavier, DX-7, D-50, Wavestation, Virus,...

I don't play live, so there is generally very little benefit with external hardware for me when VST/RE software synths are so good. But these units sound - and look - and feel - so good I find them inspiring to use and would not want to sell them.

O1B

24 Sep 2017

Thanks for the polychaining update. That ends my dream for a 2nd JX-03 while it's affordable.
But the JX-3P is an awesome itself (JX-8P --- Nice.)... my 'orchestral ideas' BEAST.
SH-01A next for you I'm betting (projecting)... me too, i think..
-TEMPO...
-Saw and/or Pulse vs Saw or Pulse
- UNISON MODE IS KILLER... plus poly..
-100 steps sequencer
- The SOUND
maybe, ill wait for the red one. It sounds great in the ads and seems as easy as the JU-06:

then the D-05.. 16 note polyphony... 64 steps vs 16 steps. 900 Presets thereabouts..
sound morphing with ease.
Picked up the TR-08? (sold out at the moment) TR-09?
At least we know these are guaranteed great investments.. dont like..? sell for more.

Cheers
raymondh wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Thread resurrected!
An update from my side: I ended up with one JU-06 and two JP-08s.
(Didn't get the JX 03 as I already have a JX-8P).
- Roland did a poor job with the poly chaining of two units. It is useful for playing chords with > 4 notes, but it does not do round-robin allocation, so if you have long releases you'll get voice stealing. This is the biggest weakness of the units IMO.

The JU-06 also sounds fantastic. ... the bass, while typically-Juno coloured, is as deep as my Mopho - something analog purists would hate to hear!

I don't agree with the cynics that this is just a plug-in in a box. Yes it is basically a computer running software. But that doesn't make it any less of an instrument than any other digital synth or sampler eg the Fairlight, Synclavier, DX-7, D-50, Wavestation, Virus,...

AP1988

02 Jan 2018

Glad this thread has recent activity and shows up near the top in Google. So it's worth adding my two cents. Just maybe a Roland marketing guy reads it. :roll:

Always had a love/hate relationship with Roland gear. Owned many throughout the decades. With that said, I currently own some of the recent offerings...ju-06, Jp-08, Jx-03, se-02, jd-xi, d-05 and Juno DS88. The Juno is a great deal, probably the best for an 88 weighted at that price, given the expansion sample/sound packs and the ability to import your own samples into the 4 layer patch structure. However all these features are not fully baked.....as in the usual Roland form and probably never will be completed.

However my largest disappointment with Roland is how they could release the ju-06, jp-08, and jx-03, all using their acclaimed ACB technology, and still end up with sound that noticably starts aliasing above C4 !!! And gets very bad in the typical higher ranges we expect NO aliasing from such touted, "advanced" ABC cutting-edge technology. My MKS30 had nowhere near the level of aliasing as my jx-3p. BTW I own the JX-8p and significantly sounds different from the jx-3p. The jx-03 like the others, is very similar in sound to it's ancestor. So if you have a JX-8p, it's still worth getting the Jx-03. The original jx-3p is much better sounding than the jx8p.

If you are planning to buy either of the three, consider carefully, and definitely consider these three only as bass synthesizers, as you would if you were planning to buy a Moog Minitaur. Forget about using notes, especially chords above C4 or C5 for most of the sounds in any three of these. These are not musical in this range and will ruin your mix. The problem is severe and what I'm even more surprised about is that reviewers like Sonic state don't mention this or point it out in a loud way as they should. And that kind of thing makes me believe all these well known reviewers are getting too many perks from these manufacturers to make it ever worth spending my moments watching these on YouTube. Just makes you think.

At any rate, this kind of thing really starts eroding my desire for purchasing any future Roland products. The good news is the I have found the opposite to be true when it comes to Korg products, or ones like Novation and some others. These guys are on top of the game, and while I have a wish list for some of those too, they clearly have delivered more than they have promised.

raymondh

03 Jan 2018

I found that I've liked the Boutique sound so much, but disliked the 4 voice polyphony, that I ended up selling my JU-06, DSI Mopho x4 and buying a Roland System-8.

I still have two JP-08s that I plan to sell since the System-8 is meeting my needs.

As I lost my DSI sound, I bought u-he Repro-5 which sounds terrific!

• Information