Remote options in Rsn 7.0.1 ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Dave23

20 Oct 2015

Hi all-
Been trying to figure out using the knobs n faders on my Axiom49 to control stuff in Reason.I have been able to make some basic assignments but soon find "actually I'd rather control something else " as the song builds...Is it possible then to map a load of controls to say, the main mixer, but then have a whole different set of assignments when selecting a subtractor/whatever..i.e. a discreet map for each selected item...or is this unreasonable?
thx in advance for any insight. -D.

jonheal

21 Oct 2015

There is already a Propellerhead-supplied map for the Axiom49 available to you that maps someone's idea of important controlsof all of the native devices. You are free to edit it as you see fit. On Windows, it is in %\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\M-Audio. Someone else will have to answer for the location on a Mac.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Dave23

21 Oct 2015

Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. Part of the confusion is the very uh.. dry documentation that comes with the Axiom...

Nice soundscapes/Specimens btw...

Cheers, Dave

Dave23

21 Oct 2015

Using Remote Override I am able to map/and edit keyboard controls to Reason items..BUT.. these mappings are retained even when some other device is then selected. I guess I was hoping for something very ambitious... a remote map for any/every selectable device..
:?

Maybe this belongs in feature suggestions?- An editable remote map for any Reason device, that becomes the active controller map when a device is selected- I.e. the same controllers perform different functions according to the ITEM selected.? -D
:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2015

Dave, what you ask is already done within the remote map.

The remote map, allows you to define the mapping for every parameter of every device you select as long as it has remoteable parameters (for example, some RE's may be released without remoteable parameters and no Remote map.)

However, for reason core devices, i can vouch that most of all buttons, if not all, are mapeable.
To edit a remote map, you go to the place Jonheal said: %\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps\M-Audio

Inside the remote map you will find multiple scopes, each scope is for a given device.
For example, to define the remote map for Alligator, you open your interface remote map, and search for alligator. You will find a scope simmilar to this:

//This section defines what you are controlling
Scope Propellerheads Alligator
Define Group Keyboard Shortcut Variations Var0 Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5
// Control Surface Item Key Remotable Item Scale Mode

//This section defines what each button controls in reason.
//This is your surface button --------- This is what it does in reason int the specific device.
Map Button C19 Select Next Patch
Map Button C18 Select Previous Patch
Map Button C12 Pattern Enable
Map Button C14 Gate 1 Trig Var1

Point is when you set Remote Override, it overrides these files. The remote overrides are good in the situations where you don't want' to toggle devices, for example in live control situations, or when you have project override stuff, like redefining a control surface button that you don't need doing its base function and define a new function in that given project, and it's easier to redefine within the project (For example, i have 2 bcf2000. The second BCF 2000 has remote overrides to control the clip led in the mix and toggle the VU mode. However, i only do that, because the base functions that i have in the BCF2000 remote map, are already being controlled by my first BCF2000).

There are great resources to learn remote map in reason, but i would start with this one:

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/control-remote

And if you need help, keep posting.
Good Luck.
Last edited by mcatalao on 22 Oct 2015, edited 1 time in total.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2015

Additionally, if you want to control a given Rack Extension, most developers, release remote map templates.

A remote map template is a file, that specifies the naming for the Scope and mapeable parameters of an RE, so that you can customize the mapping of your surface.

On the names of the control surface, it will have generic naming, so you have to put your surface control names.
What i usually do, is copy the template as a new scope, to the end of the Remote Map. Then edit the all the control names, to the controls i want to work with.

There are already people working with these templates and changing them to several surfaces/controllers specifications. Koshdukai, is a reason user that has done a lot of work on this.

http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.pt/

Again.... good luck!

Dave23

22 Oct 2015

Thanks for the informative reply mcatalao. I understand in principle what you ( and the documentation) are saying... in practice it's a little tricky..:? When I open the file \Map\M-Audio\Axiom49 2nd.Gen I find there are a lot of variables that aren't explained
anywhere..
For instance- looking at the entry for the 14:2 mixer the same "Button1" is listed as: chan1 mute/ chan1 solo/ and chan1 EQ on/off. I thought perhaps Button1 may cycle through the 3 actions but in fact it will only toggle Chan1 mute on and off( I can't find solo or EQ on/off anywhere ).... very confusing.
Also, in order for the Axiom to have any effect on the 14:2 (in this case inside a combinator) I have to create a sequencer track for it AND it has to have midi focus- (unless I'm mistaken? ...seems a bit unrealistic to have a track for every device I want to click on to tweak )
Elsewhere in the /Map file there is reference to "Flip on" and "Flip off" ... perhaps this has some relevance to multiple functions of buttons?
Which "Flip" are they talking about? lol.
Thanks again for any insight you may have. -Dave.

Koshdukai

22 Oct 2015

Dave23 wrote:For instance- looking at the entry for the 14:2 mixer the same "Button1" is listed as: chan1 mute/ chan1 solo/ and chan1 EQ on/off. I thought perhaps Button1 may cycle through the 3 actions but in fact it will only toggle Chan1 mute on and off( I can't find solo or EQ on/off anywhere ).... very confusing.
As a solution to multiply the functions of 1 control, Remote Maps uses "Groups", that's the pieces of text you usually see on the far right of the map lines.

So, using your example, and checking that Remote file, I see that Button 1 can act:
  • as Channel 1 Mute when Button 9 was used to cycled its mode to "Mute" (Group "Butn_mode").
  • as Channel 1 Solo when Button 9 cycled mode to Solo
  • as Channel 1 EQ On/Off when Button 9 cycled mode to EQ
All the above is only true when:
the Inst button is On (Group "Active")
and Bank Down was pressed (Group "Channels")

because if Bank Up was pressed, then Channels=Chan 2 and then Button 1 acts:
  • as Channel 9 Mute when Button 9 was used to cycled its mode to "Mute" (Group "Butn_mode").
  • as Channel 9 Solo when Button 9 cycled mode to Solo
  • as Channel 9 EQ On/Off when Button 9 cycled mode to EQ
Dave23 wrote:Also, in order for the Axiom to have any effect on the 14:2 (in this case inside a combinator) I have to create a sequencer track for it AND it has to have midi focus- (unless I'm mistaken? ...seems a bit unrealistic to have a track for every device I want to click on to tweak )
The sequencer track list is the master controller "focus" index, so that's how Reason knows which rack device should be getting the controller attention.

That's useful because you can easily "travel" through that list with the controller, selecting which device do you want to control (once you created a track for it as a way of "adding" it to the list of important rack devices to control with the controller).

One other way of controlling a rack device (without having to create a track for it) is to lock a controller to it, but that's only useful when you have multiple controllers and you know controller A will always control device A, etc.
Dave23 wrote:Elsewhere in the /Map file there is reference to "Flip on" and "Flip off" ... perhaps this has some relevance to multiple functions of buttons?
Which "Flip" are they talking about? lol.
Thanks again for any insight you may have. -Dave.
To know what "Flip" is, I just had to find a line where Flip was set with a "Flip=" to a state ("Flip Off" or "Flip On") and apparently, Button 9 is the one triggering that, in this map.

The "Flip" group is just another "multiplier" to achieve multiple functions with the same controls, like explained above :)

Each Remote Map author may have a different philosophy or usual approach on how to make the best of that controller so all the mapping tricks you see for one controller may have other user-experience solutions on other models or brands.

Dave23

22 Oct 2015

Koshdukai-
Thanks very much for your explanation. Apart from anything else I just needed to get a couple of things straight in the Big picture-
like the need to use the sequencer tracklist for controller focus...(this is probably the most relevant practical info for my needs..)

I understand the general idea of the map files- Physical item⇾ Reason item..but the usage is not at all obvious ( I could follow your breakdown though)- is there any reference material that actually lists or explains the conventions/syntax used?
thanks again for your help! D.

• Information