Laptop for using Reason Live

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ronin

15 Oct 2015

I am looking to buy a laptop for using reason live. Could anyone give me an idea of specs I would need? I am not looking to use extremely large project files, but I do need to use a few intruments/fx and audio tracks.
I have an old laptop from about 6 years ago, but it cant use reason at all, its too slow.
Any help and/or info etc would be greatly appreciated. I dont really know much about laptop specs, so when I am looking at websites and they list the processors, I dont know if an I3 is better then an N3700 or whatever the specs might be.
Thanks in advance

Olivier

15 Oct 2015

Any ideas about the budget ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Ronin

15 Oct 2015

eauhm wrote:Any ideas about the budget ?
I would say about £500 max (i live in the UK), but I want to get something that will do the job for a few years hopefully.

phasys

15 Oct 2015

Ronin wrote:
I would say about £500 max (i live in the UK), but I want to get something that will do the job for a few years hopefully.
Forget it.

chimp_spanner

15 Oct 2015

phasys wrote:
Ronin wrote:
Forget it.
Really? You can pick up something like what I used to have (Lenovo z500, i7, 8GB of RAM) for under £500, easy. Most laptops in that price range will need an SSD upgrade but you can get 500GB drives for around £120, 130. Will it do the job for a few years to come? Hard to say. I'm not sure I can see Reason changing within the next year or two to the point where it would no longer run on a machine like that, but Re developers are always going to push the limits of what's available.

I would say it's probably worth saving up just a little more and extend your budget to £600-650 if you want a good laptop that you won't outgrow too quickly, and a hard drive upgrade. But, re-reading your original post if all you want is a few audio tracks and instruments, a £500 laptop will work just fine.

4filegate

16 Oct 2015

Look both ways or take only green keys

I prefer refurbished 2.hand dell precision m6600 /m6700 //m6800 workstation form factor with power supply 240W - far away of consumer market and glossy display - If you will pay per/month, Dells 24/7 worldwide Stage Support.

;) always best choose CPU i7 XM xtremeEdition and PRO AUDIO power setting mode - Core takes first process for the audio performance.

GFX card AMD firepro m8900 fired inside warranty time. Now with XM CPU and Nvidia 5010m (USA assembled october 2013), RAM 16GB CL9 1600MHz upgrade and SSD was your budget limit, soon follow a mSata Samsung EVO.

sometimes the old one CPU i7 QM in complex composing are freezing Reason. Now in real time is all on Free your mind and your ass will follow

Aquila

16 Oct 2015

if you're on a strict budget and can't afford a porky laptop, you could always render the majority of your songs into separate stems so that you're not driving the cpu hard with dozens of individual instruments

Ronin

16 Oct 2015

Aquila wrote:if you're on a strict budget and can't afford a porky laptop, you could always render the majority of your songs into separate stems so that you're not driving the cpu hard with dozens of individual instruments
Yup that is exactly the plan. I was thinking of doing something like 4-8 stems, plus a few live effects and maybe a sampler for one shots etc. Like i said in the OP i dont need full on massive projects when playing live.

freeQlow

17 Oct 2015

I just seen some ridiculously good deals over at HP on i7 processors.

• Information