CZ-101 Keyboard Pitch Wheel Glitch

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
N.Filth

10 Oct 2015

Hey Guys!

Had a hardware question for you. I use an old CZ-101 to do all my live playing/midi-in on tracks and to brainstorm new tracks. Everything works perfectly fine, except for the scroll wheel, when I touch the scroll wheel in any capacity, it endlessly retriggers several random notes ad-infinitum until I delete the instrument patch and make a new one. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it certainly limits some of my live performance options. I Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts on how to fix this? (short of buying an entirely different keyboard. I've had the 101 for many years and have many fond memories of using it, and would preferably like to continue doing so.) I can supply some video evidence if that helps make things any clearer. Any thoughts/input/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

freeQlow

12 Oct 2015

Could be the mod wheel or a voice chip maybe.... you should join and ask this question over at Vintage Synth . com
Love to own one!

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2015

Hi

I had a CZ-1000 (and 3000) for about 20 years and in it's old age it started to get a bit crazy with odd things happening in patches, esp after being off for a while.

You can try pressing the Reset button - on the bottom I think. This will reset all patches etc. Didn't help for me. I was also told to change the PRAM battery but was never sure how so I didn't do this. I think in my case it was chips getting loose from being kicked by someone falling out of the upstairs window and the cat jumping on it - both ending in floor impact.

The CZs were amazing synths and well worth owning if you want hardware and can dedicate the time to getting used to programming them.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

N.Filth

17 Oct 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

I had a CZ-1000 (and 3000) for about 20 years and in it's old age it started to get a bit crazy with odd things happening in patches, esp after being off for a while.

You can try pressing the Reset button - on the bottom I think. This will reset all patches etc. Didn't help for me. I was also told to change the PRAM battery but was never sure how so I didn't do this. I think in my case it was chips getting loose from being kicked by someone falling out of the upstairs window and the cat jumping on it - both ending in floor impact.

The CZs were amazing synths and well worth owning if you want hardware and can dedicate the time to getting used to programming them.

Hearing about the CZ-1000 and 3000 getting destroyed by cats and taking dives out of windows breaks my heart just reading it. I feel for you sir. I hope they're in a better place now.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about just within reason, unless that's what you're talking and I'm just misunderstanding. The issue with the pitch wheel only occurs within within Reason when I'm using the CZ as a midi controller/Midi in. The CZ 101 playing it's actual patches and instruments by itself works flawlessly as of my posting this. I'm hoping this makes sense! If I'm just stupid and misunderstanding the information you've given above I apologize.

And yes, I really enjoy programming the CZ. They recently released a mac-based CZ instrument editor (CZtouch) which I've been having loads of fun with programming new sounds. Love me some of that Phase Distortion.

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2015

If it only happens in Reason, have you turned Local Off as you could be receiving the notes and CC data you are sending a ms later. Older synths really hated this and could clag.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

N.Filth

20 Oct 2015

Benedict wrote:If it only happens in Reason, have you turned Local Off as you could be receiving the notes and CC data you are sending a ms later. Older synths really hated this and could clag.

That sounds like it could be it! I'll have to do some research to figure out where that "Local" function is and how to access it, I've never heard of that before. Thanks again for all the help.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2015

Should be in the CZ Manual in the boring MIDI controls they don't expect you to use section.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

bpmorton

24 Oct 2015

Just curious: How does Thor's phase distortion osc stack up against a real Casio?

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2015

I think that if you don't use Filters or any other things then it is passable. It doesn't feel quite the same to me but not having a CZ to compare to...

Either way the CZ OSC can be seriously beefy or DX-like

Benedict Roff-Marsh

bitley

12 May 2016

bpmorton wrote:Just curious: How does Thor's phase distortion osc stack up against a real Casio?
Here's a CZ video I recorded yesterday, maybe it will spread some light :)

bpmorton

12 May 2016

bitley™ wrote:
bpmorton wrote:Just curious: How does Thor's phase distortion osc stack up against a real Casio?
Here's a CZ video I recorded yesterday, maybe it will spread some light :)

Great video! Thanks!

• Information