Command 8 Mapping?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MATH

07 Oct 2015

Hi,
I'm a long time reason user and just scored a command 8 from a friend.
I was hoping to use it with reason 8 but i am having a lot of difficulty understanding how to map the faders

a couple of questions

does each fader/control have to have a different "CC" value? at the moment the command 8 has each fader set to cc7 and reason behaves as if they are all the same fader.

the transport keys dont seem to map, they are midi machine control buttons... do i need to do something special to map them?

i cant send midi to the command 8 so no use of the motorized faders.

The reason website made out like it would be easy to set up "any" device like this.

Anyone got some pointers?

Thanks! :thumbs_up:

Lizard

09 Oct 2015

It does not appear that the Digidesign Command 8 is supported by Remote Technology so you won't have the benefit of pre-mapped controls. The transport controls do not have a fixed MIDI CC value as can be seen in the Reason MIDI Implementation chart that is installed with Reason. You will have to assign these using Remote MIDI Override by right clicking the control and assigning it using MIDI Learn Function.

In a mix channel the controls such as volume fader, pan, etc do have fixed CC values. Again reference the MIDI Implementation chart for specific values and you can assign them on the device. The Reason that they are all the same fader is that they all exist on the same MIDI Channel. Does the control surface have the ability to assign different MIDI channel to each control strip on the Command 8? If so you can set up the surface as a <Other> MIDI Multi-Channel Control Device in Reason. You would need to change each control strip to different channels (assume 1-8). Then as you add a device to the rack you can assign a MIDI Control Channel as you have them assigned on the Command 8 in the Advanced MIDI section of the Hardware Interface Device of the Reason Project. If the CC values are also assigned properly or as you see fit you should now have each strip controlling it's own channel. Like if you control the volume of the devices with secondary mixers or on the devices themselves you can set up multiple channel control of one strip like group controls. Kinda cool.

OK. So if you cannot output multiple MIDI channels on the device you have to set up the controller as a simple Control Surface. in this manner you have no option but to give each control it's own MIDI CC number by doing a override and using the MIDI learn function as was originally done with the transport controls. I think the best option for this would be to create a template that has 8 Mix Control devices in it. Then you would use override to map each control in the mixer along with the Transport Controls. I would then save this as a template and load it as a default every time I started Reason. The key to making this work for you is that for each device or audio track you want to add you will have to right click on the mix channel of your choice to add it. If you don't each device/audio track will create it's own mix channel that IS NOT mapped to your device.

Hope this helps.

MATH

09 Oct 2015

Ah thank you for the response.

Nice, yea i can set the command 8 up to send info on each seperate channel (or whatever) to write infomation, but unfortunatly i haven't been able to get it to respond to fader info (flying faders etc)
I contacted propellerhead and they said that i should attempt to make the command 8 emulate a mackie control.
I haven't been able to find any info on how to do this tho.
Tricky stuff!

i assume i will need either some sort of firmware hack or some midi translation software?

Lizard

09 Oct 2015

Yeah.... that may be a little undescript there but maybe chose a Mackie control surface manually in the list and see how it behaves? You may have to fiddle with CC values or maybe MIDI learn. But I think what they are trying to say is if you are looking for MIDI feedback to control automated faders you may consider the Mackie Control Surface Remote. Just guessing though. Good luck in that.

MATH

19 Oct 2015

I don't think they were suggesting that.
It's a bit annoying cos they said on thief website it talks to all controllers.
On the plus side the guy I'm dealing with in support hasn't given up on me.
Better than other companies.

MATH

14 Dec 2015

I figured it out for the record.

cmacsound

11 Apr 2017

Hey MATH, can you share how you made your Command 8 translatable as a HUI device?

I'm very curious, and would like that option to use with my Command 8 as well.

Aktivistmusik

30 Apr 2017

Yes!
I would love to know as well.

Now that reason is gonna get plugins I might have less use for Pro Tools. :)

vizay

18 Jul 2018

Now this is a proper zombie awakening! :D

In case anyone want to use the Command 8 for reasons master section I've created a remote mapping for it so it works almost out of the box.

https://github.com/vizay/command8reason

• Information