Helm by Matt Tytel (maker of Little LFO)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

23 Sep 2015

Has anybody checked out Helm?

It's currently in beta. Looks pretty cool!

Helm is a free, open source synth that runs in GNU/Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
That said—we many see many iterations of this become available soon!
It can be run as a standalone synthesizer or as an LV2, VST, AU, or AAX plugin.

http://tytel.org/helm/

Exowildebeest

23 Sep 2015

Dafuq is an LV2 plugin? :D

ScuzzyEye

23 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Dafuq is an LV2 plugin? :D
It's LADSPA Version 2. ;)

Seriously though, there was an effect plug-in format LADSPA (Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API), that was extended to DSSI (Disposable Soft Synth Interface) to allow instruments. This was used by many Linux, and open source audio programs. LV2 takes the instrument features (MIDI input being the big one), and updates the LADSPA spec.

It'll work with things like Ardour (and it's commercial relative Harrison Mixbus), plus effect-only LV2 will work in Audacity.

zeebot

23 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:I assume the name 'helm' likely means that 'you are at the helm.' :)

"Steer your sound"
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2015

I'm assuming the name is "helmet" to match the logo. I like that you can buy a sticker. Personally I think every download should come with a black t-shirt with the logo on the front :D
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2015

Actually this is a rather nice little synth. I'm getting some lovely sounds very quickly.

Downside (apart from not being an RE) is that almost everything seems to cause distortion. Good in some ways but I'd prefer to control when that happens a bit more and some really smooth and round sounds would be possible.

I worked it out, the Saturation is by default always engaged, dropping to far left (-60db) makes the synth quiet but smooth.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EnochLight

25 Sep 2015

Interesting that he's doing open source and free (and has made Little LFO Rack Extension free as well). I wish I had that sort of time & money on my hands!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

25 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:Interesting that he's doing open source and free (and has made Little LFO Rack Extension free as well). I wish I had that sort of time & money on my hands!
Well the folks who enjoy open source, are usually really enthusiastic about it. And open source isnt something you pay for. That said, he can ask for and accept donations. Which is something he can't do in the Propellerhead shop. He told me one of the reasons he made Little LFO free was to hooefully encourage more beta testers for Helm :)
The few folks who were up in arms about GVXT not offering REs for free (since the VSTs are free) forget that he accepts donations on his website for the VSTs.

QVprod

26 Sep 2015

Helm's been in beta for a couple months now actually. I tried it out then. It's a pretty good synth. Very easy to work with considering my basic synthesis skills.

Actually... meant to ask when this was released. Since it's open source and free to modified and redistributed, a developer could make this into a RE given that the SDK allows it to be possible?

• Information