Motif-RackES

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mikcara

22 Sep 2015

I have a Motif-RackES sound module and I've been trying to get it working in reason8.3.I've connect a midi cable to my Kontrol49 which I use with reason but no luck! I'm using asio4all audio driver.My speakers are connected to realtek on my computer.Help very much appreciated :?:

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2015

Hi

Bit hard to trouble shoot for you as you haven't detailed every step in the routing

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/07/27 ... ple-logic/

Chances are if you check every step, that you will find that something isn't as you assume it to be and that is the problem/solution.

Your routing needs to look something like:

Reason EMI set to MIDI Out for Motif and MIDI Chanel for instrument
MIDI Cable from Computer to Motif (does your Kontrol49 output MIDI Thru (from the PC) and if so it is enabled?)
Motif set to receive on that MIDI Ch
Motif and instrument Volume raised
Motif Audio Out to Sound Interface and then Computer
Audio Track enabled with the correct input selected and the Green Monitor button pressed (esp when the Track is not selected)

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

mikcara

23 Sep 2015

Thanks for the reply Benedict,yes I'm a" newbie" at this stuff but I'll try my best to explain.I've no problem using the Korg with Reason but I decided to try and use my Motif-rackES as a sound module so I connected the rack to the Korg using a midi cable and put it into an EMI and it connects ok the lights flash etc. but I can only hear sound if I connect powered speakers to the rack.I have a feeling I've missed SOMETHING sorry I told you I was a "newbie" The Korg is connected by USB as is the Motif and I use asio4all audio drivers.Do I need to go into preferences and change anything? The rack is connected using midi in to Korg midi out is this correct?

Sinistereo

23 Sep 2015

That sounds like the rack is working as expected. The Motif uses USB only for MIDI data, not audio. You'll need to connect a set of audio outputs from the Motif to the inputs on your sound interface in order to use it within Reason (or any other DAW).

joeyluck

23 Sep 2015

Not sure if the Motif Rack ES supports the mLAN firewire upgrade like the Rack XS does, but then you could transmit 16 channels of audio and MIDI over firewire.

But as Sinistereo said, with your current setup, you need to send the audio separately, as the USB on the Motif Rack does not transmit audio.

mikcara

23 Sep 2015

Thanks for the reply everyone,would it work if I took a pair of leads to the realtek interface on the back of my computer??

ScuzzyEye

23 Sep 2015

mikcara wrote:Thanks for the reply everyone,would it work if I took a pair of leads to the realtek interface on the back of my computer??
That should do it. Then you monitor/record those inputs in Reason.

mikcara

24 Sep 2015

Thank you everyone for helping.I think I may need an audio interface as realtek has one input?

ScuzzyEye

24 Sep 2015

mikcara wrote:Thank you everyone for helping.I think I may need an audio interface as realtek has one input?
It should be a stereo mini-phone jack. You can use a stereo mini-phone, to RCA splitter in the opposite direction to bring twp mono RCA inputs into the jack.

But if you're going to get serious about recording external sources, be they synths, or anything else, a dedicated audio interface will make things easier. Those mini-phone jacks are pretty noisy too.

mikcara

24 Sep 2015

That would solve the problem all right,at the moment I have a sub woofer connected via USB and my speakers connected to that which gives me sound.It's so tricky to get the sound from the Motif into the computer thanks again ScuzzyEye!

mikcara

26 Sep 2015

Ok I've got the motif working in reason using a mini jack,the problem now is recording the track using asio4all,doesn't want to know what is wrong now?

bpmorton

27 Sep 2015

In my little studio I use a MOTU MIDI Express 128, a controller (Sl-880) and have my hardware synths plugged into the back of an audio patch bay. If you are planning more hardware for your studio I highly recommend this setup. No fiddling with cables, just patch in the synth of choice to the audio interface and you are done.

mikcara

28 Sep 2015

Ok guys I've solved the sound problem asio4all control panel needed tweaking thanks to everyone for helping!

• Information