Tutorial: Editing Vocals with Melodyne Essential

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

21 Sep 2015

Cool tutorial on using Melodyne Essential. For those here who use Studio One or other DAW with Essential, this might be useful:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

am0eba

21 Sep 2015

For those not aware, Traction (which is an incredibly inexpensive and interesting DAW - very streamlined and compact, yet powerful in its own way) comes with Melodyne Essentials FREE! Basically, when you purchase the software, they provide you with a download code for Melodyne, which can be incorporated into the Traction workflow, or used as a standalone editor.

I've had it for a while now, and when I use it with Reason, I typically bounce a vocal track to an external audio file, with the loop markers set to the start and beginning of the song, then import the audio into Melodyne, edit the heck out of it, and then load the edited audio file back into Reason with the song pointer at the start of the file so everything is lined up properly. It's a great way to tame those truly uncooperative vocal tracks that fiddling with Neptune or the Reason sequencer's built-in pitch shift functions can't manage...

I think the best feature of Melodyne is the ability to select a portion of a sung note and work with shifting just that portion. This can be done for pitch-detection as well as pitch adjustment. In other words, you can select and re-select until you get just what you want to represent a pitch. The pitch-detector will work with the selected section to suggest what the pitch should be, and you can easily then edit to remove variability within the note, and to shift the average pitch of that section of the note, until it sounds right. It can be a huge amount of work when you're dealing with a vocal like the kind I manage to put down, but it can also be the only way of salvaging a shaky, weak vocal track...

_Dave_

PS: Thanks for posting this video!
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

EnochLight

21 Sep 2015

am0eba wrote:I've had it for a while now, and when I use it with Reason, I typically bounce a vocal track to an external audio file, with the loop markers set to the start and beginning of the song, then import the audio into Melodyne, edit the heck out of it, and then load the edited audio file back into Reason with the song pointer at the start of the file so everything is lined up properly.
This is exactly how I do it too! :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information