Pads, Keys, Nektar (oh my!)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rook

17 Sep 2015

I've got a hardware synth that I'm using as a controller right now for keys, but I've been wanting something for drum pads and more hands-on control of Reason in general. So getting a Nektar controller of some sort is looking very appealing.

I'm considering two possible routes: (1) Continue using my synth keys and just add a Korg PadKontrol and Nektar P1, or (2) get the full-blown Nektar P4

I like the PadKontrol idea for the fact that it has the full 16 pads (probably better pads too) and it would look awesome side-by-side with a P1 :lol:

But do you think I'd be missing any additional control the P4 might offer? I'm mainly wondering about controlling Kong and how well that would work using the PadKontrol and P1 in tandem, versus just using a P4...

Any thoughts?

DeltaHotelVictory

17 Sep 2015

I have no experience with Nektar hardware, but I used to have only an electrical piano to do the keys in Reason and I recently got an Ableton Push for a ridiculously good price. There is a clever piece of software by Retouch Control which offers very deep integration with Reason. I am very enthousiastic about this setup, having high quality pads for drums as well as good visual feedback from the screen of the Push Controller. BTW all Rack Extensions are fully controllable out of the box provided that you create a track in the sequencer for it. Maybe someone can chime in how this setup would compare to a Nektar Panorama device?

Rook

17 Sep 2015

I was actually looking at that on the retouch control website. It does look really cool. Was it difficult to get setup? You've got to run a separate software thing in the background, right?

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

EnochLight

17 Sep 2015

I've got the Nektar P4, I used to have Korg padKontrol, and now also have an M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro. To answer your question, the pads on the P4/P6 is very similar to the pads on the padKontrol, but maybe not quite as nice. But taking into consideration you get the most integrated hardware controller for Reason ever made, it's a good trade-off IMHO. I just picked up a Trigger Finger Pro on a lark and tend to use it, just because I blew the cash. I do tend to prefer its pads over the P4, though.

And as for iPad controllers, I highly recommend rsTouch over ReTouch Control. Delora Software's rsTouch is loads easier to setup, connect wirelessly, and their Rack Extension support is much better than ReTouch Control.

http://www.delora.com/delora_products/r ... touch.html
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

18 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote: I just picked up a Trigger Finger Pro on a lark
;)

I just have an impact for my keybed. It's fine for me (I don't use aftertouch, never could understand it) but nektar is nicely integrated with reason. You'll wonder what you did w/o it it's so well integrated.

Frankly, the TFP is a must have if you can get one (they should be priced very low these days as they are discoed) Even the P4/6 only has 12 pads and it's just not the same as having 16. Plus with the TFP it has a little "pad bank" button for 4 choices and it's HANDY with Kong.

DeltaHotelVictory

18 Sep 2015

Rook wrote:I was actually looking at that on the retouch control website. It does look really cool. Was it difficult to get setup? You've got to run a separate software thing in the background, right?
It was easy to setup, the manual and videos provide very clear step-by-step guides. After setup, the midi routing thingy starts automatically everytime you boot your computer. When you want to make music in Reason, you just switch on your Push, start the Retouch program and and then start Reason. Easy as pie!

By the way, an iPad w/ rsTouch has the obvious advantage of being able to replicate the visual appearance of the Rack Extensions much better than the Push. However, I much prefer twisting real knobs over a touchscreen and the drum pads on the Push are really great. I guess it boils down to what you think works best for you and the $/€ factor of course!

EnochLight

18 Sep 2015

DeltaHotelVictory wrote:I guess it boils down to what you think works best for you and the $/€ factor of course!
True. Also, in retrospect - the OP made no mention of owning an iPad, so rsTouch wouldn't be of much use without that - I have no idea why I suggested that LOL! I looked at Push (because the ReTouch Control software makes it much more awesome IMHO), but I couldn't find it for anything less than $500 USD at the time. Because I already owned an iPad, rsTouch made more sense to me. I was getting ReTouch Control/TouchOSC for iOS mixed up. D'oh! Setup for ReTouch Control/TouchOSC is a pain the ass compared to rsTouch.

To the OP: if your options are (1) Continue using your synth keys and just add a Korg PadKontrol and Nektar P1, or (2) get the full-blown Nektar P4... I would say this:

1) This is a good combo and will likely suite you well, but you've just created a need for 3 separate controllers to get the job done
2) This is a good option if you want to clean up your work area and minimize down to 1 controller for all 3 purposes. Also, it should be mentioned that this option also adds a fantastic motorized touch fader and locked mixer control. The value of this cannot be understated.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Rook

27 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:
DeltaHotelVictory wrote: To the OP: if your options are (1) Continue using your synth keys and just add a Korg PadKontrol and Nektar P1, or (2) get the full-blown Nektar P4... I would say this:

1) This is a good combo and will likely suite you well, but you've just created a need for 3 separate controllers to get the job done
2) This is a good option if you want to clean up your work area and minimize down to 1 controller for all 3 purposes. Also, it should be mentioned that this option also adds a fantastic motorized touch fader and locked mixer control. The value of this cannot be understated.
Thanks a lot for the input! I've got some deciding to do...

I'll also add: I will have my keyboard synth (Nord Lead A1) wired up regardless. So, the keys on the P4/P6 would be a little redundant perhaps. I've tried one out before and I think I prefer the keys on my Nord. An "all in one" solution isn't going to happen in any case. It will be either 3 very different controllers or 2 key controllers, I guess. The 16 pads as opposed to 12 is actually a big draw too. Hmm...

• Information