Need some help with dithering!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

17 Sep 2015

Hey guys! Hoping someone can help me here. So, I'm working on a bunch of files that have been exported from Reason at 48/24.

I'm dropping these files into a 24-bit project in Cubase, applying mastering and 16-bit dithering, and then using its "render in place" function to quickly generate named, mastered, separate files. But, I think they're generated at 24-bit. So my question is, are these files essentially 16-bit in all but name? And can I safely batch convert them down to 16-bit without any issues because dithering was already applied? Thanks in advance for any help!

normen

17 Sep 2015

Isn't this a Cubase question? Generally yes, like Ozone applies dithering to the exported file for 16bit conversion even if its a 24bit file - if you convert that 24bit file to 16bit the dithering will work for that. I can't say if Cubase actually applies its dithering when you "render in place" though.
Last edited by normen on 17 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Kenni
Site Admin

17 Sep 2015

Moved to "Hardware and other software"

Carry on :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

chimp_spanner

17 Sep 2015

Well, not so much a Cubase question as a general audio question. I asked here because the entire project except for mastering and exporting was done in Reason. Buuuut of course, you didn't know that/I didn't make it very clear! My bad :) Although that's good info anyway (regarding Ozone). Thanks!

• Information