Cubase 8 Pro or PreSonus Studio One 3 as secondary DAW?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Dan Topic

12 Sep 2015

Hi guys. I need your advice:

Though I love Reason and it will always remain my major DAW I'm forced to buy another DAW. I need it to rewire it to Cognitone Synfire which is impossible to do with Reason. Thinking about Cubase 8 Pro or PreSonus Studio One 3. Which one would you think is better? What DAW do you use beside Reason if any?

Here's the list of DAWs working smoothly with Synfire:

Ableton Live
Logic 9, Logic X
Cubase
Reaper
Presonus Studio One
Digital Performer

Ableton I don't like, Logic works on MACs only, Reaper I don't know much but it looks not much as professional DAW to me and MOTU Digital Performer I know nothing about yet.

I have spent pretty much time making comparisons between Cubase 8 Pro and Studio One 3 but still not convinced which one to choose. Cubase seems to be more professional, Studio One has better workflow... I really don't know. Any experiences somebody? Thanks in advance.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

Dan Topic wrote:Hi guys. I need your advice:

Though I love Reason and it will always remain my major DAW I'm forced to buy another DAW. I need it to rewire it to Cognitone Synfire which is impossible to do with Reason. Thinking about Cubase 8 Pro or PreSonus Studio One 3. Which one would you think is better? What DAW do you use beside Reason if any?

Here's the list of DAWs working smoothly with Synfire:

Ableton Live
Logic 9, Logic X
Cubase
Reaper
Presonus Studio One
Digital Performer

Ableton I don't like, Logic works on MACs only, Reaper I don't know much but it looks not much as professional DAW to me and MOTU Digital Performer I know nothing about yet.

I have spent pretty much time making comparisons between Cubase 8 Pro and Studio One 3 but still not convinced which one to choose. Cubase seems to be more professional, Studio One has better workflow... I really don't know. Any experiences somebody? Thanks in advance.
I chose Studio One for my secondary DAW almost a year ago. Its browser/workflow almost feels "Reasonish" and is an easy transition, IMHO. It also comes with Melodyne Essentials, which is awesome. I'm biased, but I highly recommend Studio One. Full disclosure: I used Reaper for years before that. Hated it compared to Studio One.
Last edited by EnochLight on 14 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

freeQlow

12 Sep 2015

Where is the Poll?

Studio One 3 all the way.

Do you know why you didn't know Deadmau5 was a beta tester for Studio One?

Because they don't pay him!

V3 is the best place to jump aboard. I have a Presonus artist friend who keeps me in the know on developments. Presonus is an exciting brand and they mean business.

Not that any other Daw doesnt...

Dan Topic

12 Sep 2015

Thanks for your comments guys. I also like Studio One most so far. Scratch pad, Melodyne... nice. Though Cubase 8 is a high class DAW but looks kind of complicated to me. But it has chord progression pads - nice tool also. But Reason has the best workflow ever. In other discussion group everybody prefers Reaper and they have also not bad arguments. Not easy to make up one's mind ha, ha.

No poll because I rather read arguments than count votes - it wouldn't has meaning for me ;)

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

I hated Reaper. I feel it's convoluted, way too many menus to hash through, and worst of all - uninspiring. Many seem to enjoy it though. Beats me.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2015

Been with Cubase since it was in black and white on the Atari (showing my age *and* my bias ;) ). So naturally I'm gonna recommend that. I will say that it's not as complicated as people think. Or rather, it's as complicated as you need it to be. I've gotten people started on Cubase from the ground up in a month or so, at least to the point where they can record, edit and mix. Made me realise that the actual skillset I use is pretty damn small! Only very recently that I made a point of clicking on buttons I don't normally click just to see what they do and some of it is just amazing. And some of it is of no use to me at all haha. Biggest plus for me though is the included plugins, like Groove Agent SE, Halionsonic SE (since upgraded to full Halionsonic 2). Being able to render MIDI to audio then chuck it from the arrange window onto a drum pad or into Padshop for granular stuff is just fantastic.

So yeah, one solitary, lonely vote for Cubase Pro 8 over here!

Dan Topic

14 Sep 2015

Ha,ha, you're not that old mate :) I remember Sinclair ZX 81 without any sound :) :)
Thanks for your opinion. I like the sentence: ¨...it's as complicated as you need it to be¨. Because it's exactly what Reason is. So far I lean most to Cubase Pro 8.

Dan Topic

15 Sep 2015

Done! Ordered, payed. Cubase 8 Pro + Steinberg UR 22 USB Audio Interface on the way!

Thank you all guys for helping me to decide ;)

EnochLight

15 Sep 2015

Dan Topic wrote:Done! Ordered, payed. Cubase 8 Pro + Steinberg UR 22 USB Audio Interface on the way!

Thank you all guys for helping me to decide ;)
2 votes for Studio One and 1 vote for Cubase. Sounds like your mind was already made up! ;) :mrgreen: Enjoy your new gear - getting new stuff is always fun. I'm in the market for a new sound card soon; should be an interesting journey.

• Information