iPad Pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
tronam
Posts: 328
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 15 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote: And of course, I'd be buying a piece of Apple tech that we all know very well will run noticeably slower as iOS gets updated (seriously, iOS 8 on my iPad Retina has made it almost unbearable to use).
I suspect iPad Pro will scale a bit better than the 3rd generation did. This will be a considerably higher increase in RAM (4GB), is now fully 64-bit featuring more processor cores whose performance has been rising exponentially over the past few years (even iPad Air 2 is 9x more powerful than iPad 3rd gen) and will be leveraging the GPU more than ever before. This is the first iPad that *really* caught my attention so far and was the surprise standout product of the keynote to me. It feels like the first serious step toward OSX/iOS convergence I've seen up to this point and I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of A-series powered hybrid MacBook in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the Apple Pencil performs. I've been a little underwhelmed by the responsiveness/latency and OS integration of past attempts at this concept.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 15 Sep 2015

tronam wrote:
EnochLight wrote: And of course, I'd be buying a piece of Apple tech that we all know very well will run noticeably slower as iOS gets updated (seriously, iOS 8 on my iPad Retina has made it almost unbearable to use).
I suspect iPad Pro will scale a bit better than the 3rd generation did. This will be a considerably higher increase in RAM (4GB), is now fully 64-bit featuring more processor cores whose performance has been rising exponentially over the past few years (even iPad Air 2 is 9x more powerful than iPad 3rd gen) and will be leveraging the GPU more than ever before. This is the first iPad that *really* caught my attention so far and was the surprise standout product of the keynote to me. It feels like the first serious step toward OSX/iOS convergence I've seen up to this point and I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of A-series powered hybrid MacBook in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the Apple Pencil performs. I've been a little underwhelmed by the responsiveness/latency and OS integration of past attempts at this concept.
That's a good point. It's just a shame that we still have two different OS's: OSX and iOS. It's almost like Windows 10 and Windows RT (*cough*).. It's been a while since I've used a Mac though. Can you use iOS purchased apps on your MacBook?
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:That's a good point. It's just a shame that we still have two different OS's: OSX and iOS. It's almost like Windows 10 and Windows RT (*cough*).. It's been a while since I've used a Mac though. Can you use iOS purchased apps on your MacBook?
Actually I dislike the mess windows made with trying to accommodate for touch input and mouse input at the same time much more.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 15 Sep 2015

normen wrote:Actually I dislike the mess windows made with trying to accommodate for touch input and mouse input at the same time much more.
If you dislike the mess made with Windows 8, I get that.. but 8.1 stepped away from that mess and Windows 10 fixed it altogether. The idea of having a completely separate mobile OS (Windows RT) where you couldn't even install regular programs or cross-install apps was a bigger mess, IMHO.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 15 Sep 2015

[apple fanboi]

"WOW, OMG, wow! I'll be in line for sure"

[moderate person]

"hmmmmm, interesting would be nice to have the extra real estate but what I have works really well and look like I just bought it"

:mrgreen:

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:If you dislike the mess made with Windows 8, I get that.. but 8.1 stepped away from that mess and Windows 10 fixed it altogether. The idea of having a completely separate mobile OS (Windows RT) where you couldn't even install regular programs or cross-install apps was a bigger mess, IMHO.
What I mean is that imo an app developed for mouse can't work with touch input and vice versa.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 16 Sep 2015

normen wrote:
EnochLight wrote:If you dislike the mess made with Windows 8, I get that.. but 8.1 stepped away from that mess and Windows 10 fixed it altogether. The idea of having a completely separate mobile OS (Windows RT) where you couldn't even install regular programs or cross-install apps was a bigger mess, IMHO.
What I mean is that imo an app developed for mouse can't work with touch input and vice versa.
Agreed. The way Windows 10 handles it is exactly what Windows 8 should have been. Having OSX on an iPad would present a massive usability problem, unless they just skinned the user interface like iOS... now there's an idea!

I'm still unclear: can I use my purchased iOS apps (either iPad or iPhone) on my OSX MacBook? Anyone?
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm still unclear: can I use my purchased iOS apps (either iPad or iPhone) on my OSX MacBook? Anyone?
No you can't. Developers also can't really "link" the purchases. Say you bought an iOS version of an app and the developer wanted to allow you to download the OSX version from the OSX App Store for free - theres not really a way to do this for devs.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 16 Sep 2015

normen wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm still unclear: can I use my purchased iOS apps (either iPad or iPhone) on my OSX MacBook? Anyone?
No you can't. Developers also can't really "link" the purchases. Say you bought an iOS version of an app and the developer wanted to allow you to download the OSX version from the OSX App Store for free - theres not really a way to do this for devs.
This is making my choice to lean towards the new Surface Pro 4 much more compelling.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 7319
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2015

So perhaps the easiest solution is for Apple to make an OS X app that runs iOS in a window? Then make it so an iPad Pro 2 can run well Mac OSX? Or some solution similar that combines the two (aside from having different startup OS's)

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:So perhaps the easiest solution is for Apple to make an OS X app that runs iOS in a window? Then make it so an iPad Pro 2 can run well Mac OSX? Or some solution similar that combines the two (aside from having different startup OS's)
Apple isn't really into this type of thing. But its pretty easy to use your core application code, make a different UI for it and compile it for any Apple platform using XCode. Traditionally thats the way they go (like when you make an iOS app with the same code but different UIs for iPad and iPhone).

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 16 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:So perhaps the easiest solution is for Apple to make an OS X app that runs iOS in a window? Then make it so an iPad Pro 2 can run well Mac OSX? Or some solution similar that combines the two (aside from having different startup OS's)
That's one possible solution. The big issue with the iPad Pro is that it is still a completely separate OS and app ecosystem from OSX, which is why Microsoft - for all of their blunders - seem to be moving towards the right direction with their Surface Pro and Windows OS parity between the desktop/laptop/tablet approach. Apple needs to do something, that's for sure.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6351
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 01 Sep 2020

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
14 Sep 2015
EnochLight wrote:
My iPhone calendar is set for September 2020. Don't go anywhere. :D
Do that :)

I can predict things :P See: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/guessing ... eads-plan/
Hey Nostradamus - looks like that prediction of yours didn't come true. 5 years later, and laptops/Macbooks are still quite a thing. ;) :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests