BeatStep Pro and Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
zrav

Post 26 Jan 2019

Koshdukai wrote:
21 Sep 2015
as you may suspect, I own a BeatStep Pro so naturally I'll end up doing a specific Remote Codec+Map for it when I find the time. It'll supersede this solution with the generic multi-channel Codec
Hi, have you ever gotten around to creating this dedicated Codec+Map?
Cheers

Koshdukai

Post 26 Jan 2019

zrav wrote:
26 Jan 2019
Koshdukai wrote:
21 Sep 2015
as you may suspect, I own a BeatStep Pro so naturally I'll end up doing a specific Remote Codec+Map for it when I find the time. It'll supersede this solution with the generic multi-channel Codec
Hi, have you ever gotten around to creating this dedicated Codec+Map?
Cheers
I ended up using my generic MIDI Channel-aware codec because I couldn't see any advantage of doing a specific one for the Control part of it.

zetty

Post 23 Oct 2019

Can you pair BSP's sequencer pads to Redrum's? Using it in a controller mode and recording through Reason..

Koshdukai

Post 23 Oct 2019

zetty wrote:
23 Oct 2019
Can you pair BSP's sequencer pads to Redrum's? Using it in a controller mode and recording through Reason..
Yes, just be sure to know or set the BSP's MIDI Channels and choose the equivalent Codec with the matching MIDI Channel.

Example: I've Seq 1 on Ch.1, Seq 2 on Ch.2, Control Mode on Ch.3 and Drum on Ch.10
So, that's 4 Reason Remote Surfaces for MIDI Channel's 1, 2, 3 and 10
Locked the Ch.3 one to a Kong, selected Control Mode in the BSP and recorded a beat, no problem.

An additional check, be sure that the BSP pads are sending the correct MIDI Notes, if you're planing to play ReDrum, Kong, etc.

For ReDrum's MIDI Spec and note range, check the last page of this doc
http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason6/Re ... 0Chart.pdf
Last edited by Koshdukai on 06 Jul 2022, edited 1 time in total.

zetty

Post 24 Oct 2019

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer! I don't own it yet, just wanted to know if it'd work as if clicking with a mouse on Redrum pads.. Cause I really want to offload that function to a physical surface. If it can only record on a track, that wouldn't be good for me.

Koshdukai

Post 24 Oct 2019

I didn't say it "could only record on a track".

If you want to map the BSP's step buttons to the step buttons of ReDrum, you can as well, through Reason's Remote Override or with some patience you can make your own Remote Map, etc...

It'll be DIY, there's nothing already done with the specifics you need, but it can be done.

Simon Ho

Post 12 Jun 2024

@Koshdukai
Hi Koshdukai, I have just got a BeatStep Pro and can't yet get it sync up with Reason. I was at this page https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... emote.html before but just unable to leave a comment there. May I ask you questions about the Remote files that you write ?

tewoc

Post 13 Jun 2024

Im am not the guy you want and I can't remember how I installed it, but you need to create the different midi channels like described on his site and then you need to set the sync master clock output in Reason to the beatstep pro. It could be the case that you have to activate some midi sync stuff in BSP internal settings, too. When I remeber right, every BSP track should have a different midi channel number- please keep this in mind. I think on the top left there is a sync button, too, you can check this out. Its all a bit tricky but not thaaat hard - it works definetly.

I had a BSP pro with Reason 11 and it worked really great with those codecs. You can record midi notes for different devices in reason at the same time while you play the 4 different tracks of the BSP. Its great for creating and recording some song sketches.

Simon Ho

Post 13 Jun 2024

Hi tewoc, Thank you for for advices. I'm gonna have to download the codec files to try it out.

Koshdukai

Post 19 Jul 2024

Hi @Simon Ho (and thanks @tewoc !)

Sorry for not following the ReasonTalk forums more closely. I only come here sporadically (like now) and saw the notification to your post here.
Since then, you contacted me through email and I think I answered the initial questions, but if there's any more questions, I guess we can use this thread to complement or expand this discussion about the Arturia BeatStep PRO and Reason :)

Cheers all!

• Information