USB3.0 Interface is Affordable Finally

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
freeQlow

04 Sep 2015

Ordered this ZOOM UAC2 USB3.0 Interfacetoday and i'm excited.
I don't have time to run a speed tester, unless someone knows a quick freeware program I can run...
I can tell you how it sounds as soon as it gets set up.
I could not wait for Arturia and quite frankly, Arturia has not worked well or at all for me in the past.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAC2

freeQlow

04 Sep 2015

ZOOM UAC2 USB3.0
Attachments
750-UAC2_detail3.jpg
750-UAC2_detail3.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

joeyluck

05 Sep 2015

Zoom products are top notch!
Congrats on the purchase. Let us know what you think!

I've switched from using my Focusrite interface to simply using my Zoom H5 as my interface.
Does the job for me.

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

What purpose does USB 3.0 have over USB 2.0 for an interface that has you so excited ?
My Words are my ART

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:What purpose does USB 3.0 have over USB 2.0 for an interface that has you so excited ?
Right now I have a Presonus Firestudio and Audiobox.
Before I jump into the big bucks I want to improve the latency and speed to which I'm getting.
Think my Audiobox has been moved around too much.

The word on the street is 3.0 is 8-10 times faster than 2.0 and 800.

We shall see.
The next step up in USB3.0 is the Presonus 192 @ $899 and an RME at $999 so this UAC2 @ $249 looks like a bargain. I hope it sounds that good too.

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

And I have Gear Aquisition Syndrome LoL

joeyluck

05 Sep 2015

I don't have much experience with USB 3.0 and am not speaking for the freeQlow, but one thing I think I am aware of is that USB 3.0 devices work on USB 3.0 or 2.0 or lower ports. But I have heard issues that USB 2.0 devices don't work so well (or at all) on USB 3.0 ports. And with many computers including 3.0 over 2.0, I suppose that could be an issue moving forward and something to consider when making an investment in a new interface. Maybe somebody can correct me on this?

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

$249.00 Investment to improve or quick return, I'll know soon enough.
I still remind myself this is a hobby and I don't need a $2000 interface no matter how much gear I own.
Simply not enough time to invest so why invest that much money.

gak

05 Sep 2015

To answer an earlier post directly.......

USB 3 has far better bandwidth than 2. Technically, it SHOULD provide better latency because the communication is faster. This is totally dependent on drivers though. Sadly, very little USB 3 products have hit the market for us/daw/audio people. Thunderbolt also has promise, but devs are painfully slow to adapt (and it's really expensive)

I can only speculate as to why USB 3 devices have been few and far between and than is that many many many people in the DAW market have not/are not willing to upgrade their computer to USB 3 (since so many imacs/mac/xp computers are still widely used for example)

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

it has taken forever, that's why I jumped on this.

Gak
I seen the 29" Ultra Wide LG monitors on sale at Best buy yesterday for $199. the 34" were $629 on sale.
I'd they come below $500 on Black Friday, I'm scooping up at least 1!

freeQlow

05 Sep 2015

Wonder how much slower a little 3.0 hub is compared to a PCIE 3.0

Asus Boards are the best, mine came with 4x 2.0 & 2x 3.0 on the back, 2x 2.0 & 1x 3.0 Front.
Added a Firewire card for Persons that I rarely use.

I found a 4port 3.0 hub on ebay.
I have a few 3.0 External HD now and need them.

freeQlow

12 Sep 2015

I just had an eargasm 1st go with this Zoom Interface.
I beat up my audio box and it was not in good shape.

Fuck this Interface sounds sooooo good.

Wensell

22 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:I just had an eargasm 1st go with this Zoom Interface.

Nice! How low can you get the latency?

riemac

22 Sep 2015

Has this audio Interface internal audio loopback, so you can use it to route audio from a vst into reason?

TheMiles

22 Sep 2015

gak wrote:To answer an earlier post directly.......

USB 3 has far better bandwidth than 2. Technically, it SHOULD provide better latency because the communication is faster.
I understand the bandwidth is better, but how exactly is that going to affect latency ? Higher bandwidth does not equal lower latency AFAIK, if your Interface can handle the audio data there should not be a difference in latency. Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK higher bandwidth only allows more channels to be recorded simultaneously. :roll:

gak

24 Sep 2015

TheMiles wrote:
gak wrote:To answer an earlier post directly.......

USB 3 has far better bandwidth than 2. Technically, it SHOULD provide better latency because the communication is faster.
I understand the bandwidth is better, but how exactly is that going to affect latency ? Higher bandwidth does not equal lower latency AFAIK, if your Interface can handle the audio data there should not be a difference in latency. Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK higher bandwidth only allows more channels to be recorded simultaneously. :roll:
You may be right. But in the olden days, usb 1.1 had shit bandwidth. Latency was terrible across the board. Then came FW and USB 2.0 and things got better. I can remember a 1000 of these conversations so I'll yield to "maybe I don't know"

I'm waiting on a babyface pro (it's will be about a month) and we'll see how much better/latency it is after talking to 600 people and RME is the best.

gak

24 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:I just had an eargasm 1st go with this Zoom Interface.

Forgot to say, congrats! That's great news.

• Information