UAD lost BOSS/Roland Plugs

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

02 Sep 2015

I just noticed that the Roland and BOSS plugins are not any longer available for purchase on the Uaudio store. Wonder if they had a contract expire and not be renewed or something. Luckily I bought all of their plugs before, the space echo was available for 99$ instead of 249$ just a month ago, that was the last one I missed. I guess that was some kind of "blow out" sale.

UAD without Dimension D is a tragic loss though, I use that chorus a lot. Its great to add room to electric rhythm guitars or simply for actual chorus passages.

Anyway, talk about how even plugins become "rare" these days ;)

Dante

02 Sep 2015

How close is the Chenille stuff ?

Ostermilk

10 Sep 2015

Dante wrote:How close is the Chenille stuff ?
Not having ever used an actual Dimension D the word 'close' would be hard or me to quantify. The thing about the UAD model is it has the same simplicity in use and sounds good in all its modes which is what makes it an easy choice to drop in. For me I didn't choose the UAD one even though I'm UAD equipped I chose the ERS one as I personally preferred it. That choice however was one of individual taste and nothing to do with the UAD one being inferior in any way.

What I will say though as a Reason user there's no better chorus plug-in in the Rack than Chenille it's a nice chorus by any standards and it has some Dimension D patches included and certainly carries off the vibe with it's 'bucket brigade' modelling. Probably though if you got more answers to this question you'd just get different opinions as to which one was 'closest' and doubtless we'd all learn about some other alternatives too. So I guess you'd have to draw your own conclusions.

Don't forget though Chenille is much more comprehensive effect than just its Dimension D style patches too but bear in mind as I mentioned one of the Dimension D's biggest qualities was simply just doing what it did.

Ostermilk

10 Sep 2015

normen wrote:I just noticed that the Roland and BOSS plugins are not any longer available for purchase on the Uaudio store. Wonder if they had a contract expire and not be renewed or something. Luckily I bought all of their plugs before, the space echo was available for 99$ instead of 249$ just a month ago, that was the last one I missed. I guess that was some kind of "blow out" sale.

UAD without Dimension D is a tragic loss though, I use that chorus a lot. Its great to add room to electric rhythm guitars or simply for actual chorus passages.

Anyway, talk about how even plugins become "rare" these days ;)
It seemed quite out of the blue that it happened although there was some keen pricing on the Roland/Boss gear recently.

There was a time when Roland/Cakewalk were keen to tie-up with UAD when they were trying to get Sonar integrated with Roland's VS7000 virtual studio hardware which was to include UAD DSP but never really took off. So I guess that two way alliance ended there, it's also been noticable with things like Roland dropping Cakewalk that their heart seems to have dropped out of the music software market to some extent but taking established products off the shelf though seems a bit odd and points to an ongoing licensing issue. I guess we'll never know the full story though.

What is apparent is that UAD's modulation and delay sections are looking very sparse just now and I wonder what will turn up as replacements.

• Information