Macbook Pro - quick CPU question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
dvdrtldg

31 Aug 2015

I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro, and wondering whether or not to upgrade the processor.

I use a lot of REs and have been struggling with CPU issues on my 2010 Macbook with its 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. I'm now looking at the 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (turbo boost up to 3.7 GHz) which seems like it's going to make a big difference.

But for another $280 I could ramp it up to 2.8 HGz (turbo boost up to 4.0 GHz).

So my question is: will I really notice a huge difference between the 2.5 GHz and the 2.8 GHz - (i.e. will I notice $280 worth of difference)? I'm not into gaming or anything like that, I just use the laptop for music production.

am0eba

31 Aug 2015

I purchased the faster-speed processor options on my 2008 Mac Book Pro (don't recall the chipset or speed, but it was listed as 0.2 GB faster) and my 2012 Mac Mini (Quad core i7 with 2.6GHz clock rather than the standard 2.4 GHz), and do not regret it. Having said that, I have no direct comparison with the standard speed versions, so who's to say?

I haven't been paying attention to recent Mac Book Pro options, but if RAM is externally upgradeable (in other words, if there's a panel you can open up to replace the RAM chips, which I know some models no longer have) then you would probably be spending that $280 better by buying and installing 3rd party RAM - as much as will fit. Pretty sure that RAM is still where you get the most bang for your buck.

If however, the RAM is not upgradeable, then I would definitely recommend the faster processor: "My Mac is too fast" said no one ever...

The one downside I can think of besides the price, is that the faster processor units are not usually in stock, and have to be custom-ordered, so it takes longer to arrive. If you have patience and can afford the extra money, go for it.

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

• Information