.dll 64 bit Windows 7 SEMA

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Can anybody explain the file extension .dll and why I can't see my plugs I paid money for?

I can't find anything on it...

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

Wiki is your friend ;)

You can see your plugins you paid money for... As .dll's in the RE folder. What else would you want to see? :)

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

SOmething I can open and touch.

Do you know what read them?

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

You can open them in binary format or something, probably, but you'll probably get a jumbled encrypted sequence.

.dll's are not meant to be "opened" - they are meant to be loaded by applications, They're... drum roll... plug-ins :)

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for? Viewing the source code of the plugins? That's protected, obviously.

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

You can "touch" them btw, in the sense that they're files and you can back them up - theoretically on punch card paper if you'd like to get oldschool physical.

ScuzzyEye

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:SOmething I can open and touch.

Do you know what read them?
You can look at the computer instructions in a hex dump. Here's the first bit of my latest RE.
Hex Dump.png
Hex Dump.png (37.95 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
That's meaningless to even me, because it's encrypted.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:You can "touch" them btw, in the sense that they're files and you can back them up - theoretically on punch card paper if you'd like to get oldschool physical.
I do have some printable business card stock that I never used for my stupid answers business.

you did get me to laugh with that post I just can't tell if it's dry humor or your wife and kids left you

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Okay, so where are my plugs if I can't extract or open the little dll tag?

what's my next step?
Run out into traffic on main street?

Nobody with a mature and honest answer eh?

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

so sounds like what I need to do is uninstall and reinstall everything into the correct folder or multiple folders

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:You can "touch" them btw, in the sense that they're files and you can back them up - theoretically on punch card paper if you'd like to get oldschool physical.
I do have some printable business card stock that I never used for my stupid answers business.

you did get me to laugh with that post I just can't tell if it's dry humor or your wife and kids left you
They left me before I even had 'm :(
freeQlow wrote:Okay, so where are my plugs if I can't extract or open the little dll tag?

what's my next step?

Sorry, but there is no honest answer, because you're asking the wrong question, I'm afraid.

It's like asking how to play a cassette tape without a cassette player. There is no practically relevant "ghost in the machine" you can extract, the only way to read a cassette tape and get immediately relevant data is through a cassette tape player/reader. You could analyze the magnetic tape with some other device, and it would give you data, but it would have little meaning compared to simply reading the tape with a tape player.

Same goes here - the RE .dll is designed to be opened in Reason, and that's it.

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

Btw, the .dll's are located in Appdata/roaming/propellerhead software/rackextensions on Windows. The contents of the folders you see in there are the plugins.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

I had everything in a 128 Gig SSD.
It quickly filled up so I added (failed install) a 2nd SSD for plugins.

So
C: Program Files, Ableton, Reason, Studio One
H: Plugins
I: Sounds, Samples, Recordings, Music

H: Shows up in dios but not my computer.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with Reason.
Some N/I, Izotope Plugs pop up but waves, slate, etc etc are all dll and I can't find that 2nd SSD installed.

I fucked up!

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
freeQlow wrote:

They left me before I even had 'm :(
freeQlow wrote:Okay, so where are my plugs if I can't extract or open the little dll tag?

what's my next step?

Sorry, but there is no honest answer, because you're asking the wrong question, I'm afraid.

It's like asking how to play a cassette tape without a cassette player. There is no practically relevant "ghost in the machine" you can extract, the only way to read a cassette tape and get immediately relevant data is through a cassette tape player/reader. You could analyze the magnetic tape with some other device, and it would give you data, but it would have little meaning compared to simply reading the tape with a tape player.

Same goes here - the RE .dll is designed to be opened in Reason, and that's it.
Do all your answers have to be smart?

Can you teach me basic Sumarian Agriculture next and why water is wet?

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

How does a phonograph work and why are they better than a nickelodeon?

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Maybe I should ask someone who doesn't use reason.
Now I feel smart

Exowildebeest

10 Aug 2015

Sumerian Agriculture started with irrigation around the floodplains, I think, so if you can dig in sand, that's all you need to know. That brings us to the question of why water is wet, which is a surprisingly complex question, still subject to ongoing research. For instance, sometimes water makes a surface slippery, sometimes rough (think of wetting your fingers to grab a paper, nasty thing teachers always used to do...). The forces acting on water molecules act in strange ways, with water wetting one surface, but not another.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Data, this is the Captain Speaking.

When you find the answer to Women, let me know.

Lets go do something better like write noise

ScuzzyEye

10 Aug 2015

How does the question, "what's a DLL and how do I open it?" Lead anyone to give you the answer to:

I've connected another hard drive to my computer, which I would like to use to store my plug-ins for other DAWs. The BIOS sees it, but Windows does not. So how do I:
1. Get Windows to see the new drive.
2. Tell my other DAWs to look for the plug-ins there.

It's not that we weren't trying to give you helpful answers, you just weren't asking the right question. Now that we know what you're trying to do, maybe someone will be able to help. But yeah, you'll likely find better help about re-locating plug-ins in other DAWs where people know those programs better.

freeQlow

12 Aug 2015

please hold the applause.

Thank you thank you

• Information