One Kilohertz square wave

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Raveshaper

24 Jul 2015

I am curious if there is a simple unit that can send a 1kHz square wave over a 5-pin Midi cable.

It has to be 1000 pulses a second, hardware not software.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

24 Jul 2015

You just want electrical pulses? No MIDI framing? That's something that can be done pretty easily with an Arduino, or a Raspberry Pi.

jappe

06 Aug 2015

a loong time ago I used 555's to make oscillators.http://ehelion.net/projects/digitalclock/555timer.html

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2015

I am concerned that if you are plugged into a MIDI device you may have some unintended and nasty outcomes if you start putting non-MIDI voltages through the MIDI system. It could cause anything from confusion to breaking a MIDI device. I had something upset my Akai AX-73 so it was unable to be used anywhere in a MIDI chain without causing all synths to do crazy things (incl making the AX-73 buzz).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ScuzzyEye

06 Aug 2015

MIDI is based on the robust RS232 serial interface, but is even stronger against incorrect voltages. It's active low logic, with signalling levels of ±5-15 (-5 being 1 and +5 being 0) into a 5k Ω load. Plus there's optocoupler to further isolate the logic chips from the physical layer. Of course some devices will be built as cheaply as possible, and be off-spec.

Raveshaper

25 Aug 2015

I will have to look into doing this, although it would be nice if an LFO generator already existed. Just a small mobile box that can generate a signal with unique values every 1 ms. I'm going to go search for one.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information