OS X El Capitan + Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
stephensmattlee

13 Jul 2015

Unfortunately it looks like Reason doesn't like the new OS El Capitan, whilst Logic Pro X seems to be running fine, Reason 8.3 seems to crash as soon as you try opening it.
Anyone else trying out the new beta for El Capitan?

stephensmattlee

18 Jul 2015

From what I can gather it seems the problem is with the Authorizer, tried installing version 2.8 and it just hangs and freezes as you go to install it.

ncurry

21 Jul 2015

I'm stuck too. I want to alert the Props, but I think they're on holiday. It's my own dumb fault for beta testing, I did make a back-up, so I might revert.

stephensmattlee

22 Jul 2015

Someone questioned the props on their Twitter page about El capitan support and the props said don't seem to be in any rush to fix it as it's still early in beta. I managed to downgrade back to Yosemite but ended up having to call apple and spent 2 hours talking with them trying to figure out why my no Apple ID no longer worked, turned out I had to disable the 2 step verification that it asks to set up when you first activate El capitan, you should have received an email allowing you to turn it off up to two weeks after first setting it up. From there I managed to change my Apple ID password and was able to log in and get to all my purchases etc.
A very confusing situation but I've definitely learnt El capitan doesn't like being downgraded lol

CephaloPod

23 Jul 2015

I just posted, and deleted, a thread about just this. Reason 8.3, and some other versions as well apparently, will crash under El Capitan. It's a minor convenience for me as I use Reason for fun and have plenty of other digital music toys to play with. So far, Reason is the only program on my computer that crashes under El Cap. Although iTunes sure is S-L-O-W. Go figure.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

stephensmattlee

23 Jul 2015

Yeah it was strange, I thought the main differences between Yosemite and El Capitan were mainly just performance and security tweaks and was a little naive in thinking Reason would have run without a problem.
I did try installing and running Reason 7 to but it still crashes when opening the same as 8.3 did, like I said everything seemed to be okay right up until the authorizer kicked in to let me run Reason so it seemed like the problem was within that, maybe the new security tweaks apple made didn't seem to gel too well with reasons way of authorising and running.
Back on Yosemite and ios8 again now though and will probably stay there at least the props announce that Reason is fully qualified to run on El Capitan. Like I said the only problems I had with downgrading back were down to the two step verification system apple have introduced that had disabled my Apple ID from working properly after the downgrade

CephaloPod

23 Jul 2015

Yeah, I really didn't expect Reason to just not work at all, especially since El Cap is just a tweak of Yosemite. It would not surprise me at all if it was the stupid and annoying verification system that's causing the incompatibility. I've hated that verification system since day one, and has been a headache for many.
Reason/Logic

CephaloPod

29 Jul 2015

Hey all. Just wanted to update everyone that the latest build of El Capitan Beta seems to work with Reason. I've only tried interned verification, and Reason has been working for me now. I haven't tried using the USB dongle, and probably won't attempt it (don't want to break anything!).
Reason/Logic

yamguitar

30 Sep 2015

El Capitan is officially out now, and is working normally on my system with Reason 8.3.1. Am having a few issues with MOTU Cuemix, though.

normen

01 Oct 2015

El Capitan is known to have some issues with some audio software (Native Instruments plugins for example) and audio drivers. I'd suggest anyone who professionally uses his Mac for audio to wait until all software and drivers he uses are officially supported under El Capitan.

sonicbyte

01 Oct 2015

No news about reason 7

joeyluck

01 Oct 2015

I'm still on OS X 10.9 and using Reason 8. Haven't seen a particular need to upgrade the OS (even though it's free to do so).

Scoobyman II

03 Oct 2015

sonicbyte wrote:No news about reason 7
I'm waiting on this answer too. Not in the mood to download El Capitan and then find out that Reason 7 doesn't work.

gak

04 Oct 2015

I'm not a mac user, but take it from me, and early win10 adapter, DON'T UPDATE UNLESS NECESSARY! ;)

It's not that win10 sucks or doesn't work, it's that all the unexpected annoyances usually don't work right. Ask yourself this: If everything is working like you want, other than a few things that might be nice vs a few things that WON'T be nice, is it worth it?

moneykube

04 Oct 2015

I am still using reason 7 and mountain lion … didn't grab mavericks or that big mountain because some people ran into problems using various programs… and now a new os… that was fast
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Scoobyman II

27 Oct 2015

Still nobody with Reason 7 upgrading to El Capitan? From the reviews, it doesn't really sound worth upgrading to El Capitan anyway.

dhruan

27 Oct 2015

Running Reason 7.1.2 on OS X 10.11.1. Weird issue with saving (or saving as), clicking save does not close the dialog but instead it saves the file but leaves the dialog hanging there...
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

dhruan

27 Oct 2015

Other than that things are pretty peachy. ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Scoobyman II

27 Oct 2015

dhruan wrote:Other than that things are pretty peachy. ;)
Cool. Thanks for the update.

TheMiles

27 Oct 2015

I have considered upgrading to El Capitan but now I refrain from it, at least, for now. The ratings in the app store are highly polarized, some giving it 5 stars, and some just one. The bad ratings are mostly about instabilities and - important for me - about flaws with audio processing. The posts in this thread are also mostly not in favour of El Capitan wich means I am gonna wait till the next update. Its a shame when you consider how bug free and stable apple software used to be when Steve Jobs was still there, but now I feel reminded of the not so good ol' days of windows...

stephensmattlee

28 Oct 2015

Despite having issues when El Capitan was in beta I haven't had any issues at all with the release version or the latest 10.11.1 update with Reason 8.3 and Logic Pro 10.2

selig
RE Developer

28 Oct 2015

El Capitan is solid here with the latest version (10.11.1) . I have not worked with earlier versions, so I'm not aware of any previous issues.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

tronam

29 Oct 2015

The main thing holding me back from the El Capitan upgrade is the sluggish support from Steinberg; their UR series audio interfaces are apparently still not compatible.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

• Information