Teenage Engineering PO series bundles: Just bought one!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

13 Jul 2015

I'm actually a little more interested now. I really enjoy portable toys for sound design. I use my Korg Monotron Delay and Volca Bass very often. The bundle price is pretty good and I like the idea of having the case so I can throw it in my bag.

These bundles include:
  • Pocket Operator
  • Pro Case for Factory Pocket Operator
  • A pair of TH-02 Recording Studio Headphones
  • Four AAA Batteries
  • One 1/8" TRS Patch Cable 10'
PO16 - Factory
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... ng&index=6

PO14 - Sub
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... g&index=11

PO12 - Rhythm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... ng&index=7

joeyluck

27 Aug 2015

Just ordered this bundle:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Teenage-Eng ... d-Cable.gc

Pretty excited about it. Guitar Center seems to be the only store still offering this bundle for $99 (the package that includes the Pocket Operator, case, headphones, battery, and cable). $119 most other stores (as you'll see the links above were adjusted to this amount). Separately, the operators are $59 each and the cases are $39 each. Seems a bit much for a case (almost the cost of the unit itself), but I am able to justify the value within this package (getting more for the same dough). The Tascam headphones are decent and will make great on-the-go headphones.

I had fun playing with the Pocket Operators in the store. They will be great friends with my Monotrons and Volca Bass :)
So, just wanted to give folks another heads up on this bundle. Since I can't afford an OP-1 at the moment, this will be my entry into the world of Teenage Engineering.

Tincture

27 Aug 2015

I admit it does look like a good deal.

But having handled one, I don't think you could 'throw it in my bag'. My thoughts were: It's a calculator without a case (housing).

Still, hope you have fun.

joeyluck

27 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:I admit it does look like a good deal.

But having handled one, I don't think you could 'throw it in my bag'. My thoughts were: It's a calculator without a case (housing).

Still, hope you have fun.
Are you talking about with the case on it? Because this bundle includes the case.

I did find out that it is a 'soft' case, but substantial. I have been told it does a great job protecting it.
But I do have separate compartments in my backpack for my gadgets. I generally don't throw anything in my bag even of lesser value.
And I don't have fancy enough sunglasses to put in the sunglass protection compartment of my bag—so more compartments for gadgets lol.

Tincture

27 Aug 2015

Yes, I can imagine that bag! I didn't mean to put you off. I'd just say, soft case or not, be very careful with it. If I had one, I'd def. want one of those air blow aerosols for dust removal and some acetone to cut through the fingerpad nastiness.

joeyluck

27 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:Yes, I can imagine that bag! I didn't mean to put you off. I'd just say, soft case or not, be very careful with it. If I had one, I'd def. want one of those air blow aerosols for dust removal and some acetone to cut through the fingerpad nastiness.
Haha all good. I think the case will do a good job protecting the buttons at least

joeyluck

09 Sep 2015

Got the PO-14 today! Quite a fun little device.
Posted my first loop to Discover using the PO-14:

I think I might start creating loops using all my fun little gadgets :)

freeQlow

12 Sep 2015

Is that 1 protector or 3.
Very cool little toys.
Seems the protectors give you a better idea of the button layouts.

CharlyCharlzz

12 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:Is that 1 protector or 3.
Very cool little toys.

yes but there is less fuctions printed on the Case wich make it less easy to use in a way .

you also got to break the hanger thing to slide the case but that part was styllish IMO
but yhea it will give your PO more time to live because it will protect it from various injuries for shure .
it's also a cool Geek bling bling I guess with that cord around the neck LOL
been using these for some time now and the 12 is what maybe is more usable , the sequencer and way to enter the notes is not really good on the other two models even if it's more simple with the bass since bass are so simples .
joeyluck wrote:I'm actually a little more interested now.
super fun but the drum one is my favo , I dont like the way to enter each notes on the others because it's not handy but still they are super fun and full of cool feature that give great results and sounds at my own surprise .
this bundle is descent because you get a few extra's for a bit less money then a PO + a PO case .
PO12 4life !!!!!!!!
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

freeQlow

12 Sep 2015

This bundle is on my Xmas list + it gets my girl interested. Only other gear to get her interest was the new electribe.

I still have my volca beats and stand behind it.
Thanks for the feedback!

CharlyCharlzz

13 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:This bundle is on my Xmas list + it gets my girl interested. Only other gear to get her interest was the new electribe.

Thanks for the feedback!
maybe she did not care much for the electribe , maybe she was trying to see if you liked it to get one for x-mas ?
that is if you aint got one already etc...

joeyluck

13 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:Is that 1 protector or 3.
Very cool little toys.
That's another person's image. It is displaying all 3.

joeyluck

13 Sep 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:been using these for some time now and the 12 is what maybe is more usable , the sequencer and way to enter the notes is not really good on the other two models even if it's more simple with the bass since bass are so simples .
When I first got it, I was actually playing it in real-time while recording in Reason. Then I would just quantize the audio in Reason :)

But when I dove into the built-in sequencer, I found it easy to use. It works similar to an analog sequencer like DLD's AS-16.
You first go into write mode by pressing the write button. Then, you hold a step where you want a note and you turn the knob to select the desired note. Then you can turn on and off notes by pressing the button for that step.

Or you can hold down the write button and record as you play (a little tricky), but it works. I simply like selecting steps and notes at random by just pressing button and turning the knob. Most of the time it yields a fun result :)

The case doesn't have much less info. The numbers aren't necessary and I picked up quickly what the symbols for sound, pattern, bpm, write, and play were... With and without the case, it's handy to have the manual handy at first.

joeyluck

13 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:This bundle is on my Xmas list + it gets my girl interested. Only other gear to get her interest was the new electribe.

Thanks for the feedback!
The Volca Beats is awesome. It's on my list. I have the Volca Bass. Hoping to see more things like it from Korg and hopefully more stuff from Teenage Engineering. The OP-1 is out of my price range at he moment, so this PO series is a fun intro to the TE products. Maybe they will release something a bit more capable in a middle ground price point?

As far as hardware goes, I seem to be most attracted to things analog and even more so—things ultra portable with built-in speakers (like this and the Volca series and the Monotrons). The Pocket Operators are digital—but fit the bill for portable fun. I figure if I'm going to be away from the computer, the hardware should bring a different experience. And I like to make noise in public and jam just about anywhere :)

freeQlow

13 Sep 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!
maybe she did not care much for the electribe , maybe she was trying to see if you liked it to get one for x-mas ?
that is if you aint got one already etc...
No, we had one. It had some really cool kit/patch/sounds in it. Current sounds at that.
I think it was the lights and big pads. I couldn't get it away from her one night so I banged out some electro on my Miami.

I showed her the OP, maybe we will get one in our Xmas stocking.

CharlyCharlzz

14 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:.
Korg is Amazing ..... nothing more to say about them LOL
OP or PO ? because wooaw a OP is damn cool and really not a toy !
I think OP is really a good one even if it got it's limits on various points .
joeyluck wrote:.
yep , they go easy with the manual !
I love the Alarm'o'clock feature LOL

freeQlow

14 Sep 2015

Love the Raymond Washington Quote btw!

Wensell

15 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Got the PO-14 today! Quite a fun little device.

I am so buying this one. And the drum-thing. An why not the synth-this aswell.. :P
One question - is your example from the PO-14 only, completely dry, or have you done some thinkering within Reason..?

joeyluck

15 Sep 2015

Wensell wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Got the PO-14 today! Quite a fun little device.

I am so buying this one. And the drum-thing. An why not the synth-this aswell.. :P
One question - is your example from the PO-14 only, completely dry, or have you done some thinkering within Reason..?
Actually this one was recorded live into Reason with Echobode added :)
The PO-14 has great effects. But they are punch-in effects. So, if I record something live into Reason like this, I can't use the PO-14 effects.

I posted another that was sequenced on the PO-14. Both are actually using the same sound (Sound #2).
The other one incorporates some of the PO-14's drums.

Exowildebeest

15 Sep 2015

Drop embedding, cool! Also, cool sounds Joey :)

Thousand Ways

27 Nov 2015

I have the PO-16 Factory version. It sounds great. For such a tiny machine it can produce very solid bass sounds. It calculates BPM exactly as per Reason (I've found some slight drift with other devices), so no quantization is necessary. I've made tracks using separately-recorded drums, bass and higher-pitched synth lines from the PO-16, stacked-up in Reason, and they stay in time perfectly.

A friend of mine visited TE and was told that the Marioesque graphics were intended to be developed into a playable game, but that they ran out of time, so these ended-up purely for show.

The only downside I've found is the absence of a manual – all you get is a single A5 sheet. If anyone knows of a link to a fuller explanation of the programming procedures online somewhere, please post here. In particular, a better explanation of creating songs with several parts (eg. verse, chorus, middle) could have been included.

sentient.minority

28 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote:I have the PO-16 Factory version. It sounds great. For such a tiny machine it can produce very solid bass sounds. It calculates BPM exactly as per Reason (I've found some slight drift with other devices), so no quantization is necessary. I've made tracks using separately-recorded drums, bass and higher-pitched synth lines from the PO-16, stacked-up in Reason, and they stay in time perfectly.

A friend of mine visited TE and was told that the Marioesque graphics were intended to be developed into a playable game, but that they ran out of time, so these ended-up purely for show.

The only downside I've found is the absence of a manual – all you get is a single A5 sheet. If anyone knows of a link to a fuller explanation of the programming procedures online somewhere, please post here. In particular, a better explanation of creating songs with several parts (eg. verse, chorus, middle) could have been included.
Manuals seem to be here: https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides

Although I own an OP-1 I am not really tempted by the PO series. The synth and bass models are locked to the scale of C major, sharps and flats can only be achieved by parameter locking pitch which leaves you unable to p-lock anything else. This makes them a bit of a fail TBH.

Thousand Ways

29 Nov 2015

Thanks for the link.

I'm used to acoustic instruments that are tuned to a specific key, such as harmonicas and mbiras, so the lack of sharps and flats doesn't bother me. Sometimes it's good to work with restrictions.

sentient.minority

29 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote:Thanks for the link.

I'm used to acoustic instruments that are tuned to a specific key, such as harmonicas and mbiras, so the lack of sharps and flats doesn't bother me. Sometimes it's good to work with restrictions.
I think I'll stick to the OP-1, Analog Four and Prophet 12 with the benefit of black keys.

I know there were a lot of pissed off early adopters in the Operator One forum.

I guess there is still the option of playing in the following keys though:

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian
C Pentatonic Major
A Pentatonic Minor

:lol:

Thousand Ways

30 Nov 2015

sentient.minority wrote:I think I'll stick to the OP-1, Analog Four and Prophet 12 with the benefit of black keys.
Entirely different things … and an entirely different price bracket. And of course, if you already have instruments that have sharps and flats, then maybe you don't need every additional instrument that you buy to feature those.
sentient.minority wrote:I know there were a lot of pissed off early adopters in the Operator One forum.
Ahh, diddums.

• Information