Balance + SM7b

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Wook

29 Jun 2015

Hello everyone. I have a question about Balance and one of my favourite mics. Does Balance have enough gain to drive Shure SM7b? Anyone tried this combo? Balance has only 40 dBs of gain so I'm a bit sceptical about this because Sm7b is very hungry for gain. 

If not, solution would be to get a dedicated preamp but can Balance work like that? Would I be able to connect a preamp to Line and that way bypass onboard preamps?

ScuzzyEye

29 Jun 2015

Wook wrote:If not, solution would be to get a dedicated preamp but can Balance work like that? Would I be able to connect a preamp to Line and that way bypass onboard preamps?
Yes, but even the line input has a preamp, albeit with lower gain.

Wook

29 Jun 2015

Wook wrote:If not, solution would be to get a dedicated preamp but can Balance work like that? Would I be able to connect a preamp to Line and that way bypass onboard preamps?
ScuzzyEye wrote: Yes, but even the line input has a preamp, albeit with lower gain.
Thank you for the response. Would that degrade signal in any way?

ScuzzyEye

29 Jun 2015

Wook wrote:Would that degrade signal in any way?
Nope. That's how mic pre-amps are designed to work, to feed a line-level pre-amp. The lower the gain, the lower the noise (all other things being equal).

Wook

29 Jun 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Nope. That's how mic pre-amps are designed to work, to feed a line-level pre-amp. The lower the gain, the lower the noise (all other things being equal).
Thank you.
It would be awesome if Balance could push this microphone on it's own.

pushedbutton

29 Jun 2015

The preamps on balance are very nice.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Wook

29 Jun 2015

pushedbutton wrote:The preamps on balance are very nice.
They are but they seem to be on the weak side gain wise for dynamic microphones. I have no trouble driving different condensers.

Kategra

11 Jul 2015

Wook wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:The preamps on balance are very nice.
They are but they seem to be on the weak side gain wise for dynamic microphones. I have no trouble driving different condensers.
Just a small tech correction, the microphone is driving the preamp.

If Balance has vey low noise for at max 40db gain then you could always amp the signal in Reason without any problem.

skie

06 Jan 2016

In regards to the whole "bypassing Balance's pre's" when using an external pre -- that just mean not using the phantom power switch on inputs 1 and 2 right? I use external pre's and plug them into the XLR jacks on 1 and 2, never had any issues, it's ok to use this configuration yes?
Thank you

pushedbutton

06 Jan 2016

Probably, if it sounds right, but you might want to try one of the line in's if you don't need the extra pull.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information