Mic Pre combo questions.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
skie

27 Jun 2015

Currently have a Blue Robbie, Grace m101, and electro harmonix 12ay tube pre. Mics are akg c214,:rode nt3, sure sm57. I record vox, singers and rappers, electric guitar, and acoustic. Not at the same time. The ehx tube pre matches with the nt3 is perfect for acoustic. Should I sell the Grace and use Robbie for sm57 and c214?

normen

27 Jun 2015

You can't have enough microphones and preamps. They all work differently with different sources and in different combinations and even for the most crappy microphones theres at least one ideal application, same as with compressors, really ^^ Give yourself the option to try out different mics and preamps on different sources / performances, its the first and most important (apart from the room and the performance itself) part of the recording chain, you wouldn't want to limit your options there.

skie

27 Jun 2015

I'm not looking to get rid of any mic. My question was do I really need the Grace if I have a Robbie. Thanks

normen

27 Jun 2015

skie wrote:I'm not looking to get rid of any mic. My question was do I really need the Grace if I have a Robbie. Thanks
Preamps work differently with different microphones. Of course you don't need more than one preamp but you give yourself more options with them.

• Information