I dun goofed and bought Ableton Live 9 :D

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Biolumin3sc3nt

14 Jun 2015

Has anyone loaded "Scotty doesn't know" into the RV-7000 v2 yet? It's sure to make some heads spin

Enterface

15 Jun 2015

Reason needs some sort of live performance tool similar to Session Mode in Ableton Live. An updated version of Blocks could do the trick "Blocks 2.0". Imagine launching the playback of Blocks in a similar fashion to that of scenes/clips in Ableton. Also, it would be useful to be able to record "audio to MIDI" in Reason.

beatmincer

16 Jun 2015

I find Ableton the easiest and fastest environment to work in, audio recording or not. The areas where Ableton excels at are IMHO:
- No moving windows around, resizing, flipping about. 
- Excellent workflow with plenty of shortcuts
- fast zooming functions
- A very fast sequencer workflow

Cons:
- Splitting/merging clips in arrangement mode could be faster
- No takes mode in audio recording
- No MIDI list editor like in Logic pro X

CharlyCharlzz

16 Jun 2015

Phasys your a Mad DJ anyway (in the dutch way) so I'm surprised you have not buyed it ages ago ?!?! 
I'm not a huge ableton Fan but I admit that Reason should learn a bit from the Live Jam&DJ way peoples are using Ableton LIVE .
for the sequencer part I love Reason but the 3 Windows mod on 7.1 is pathetic when using a 15 inch screen .

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

phasys

17 Jun 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: Phasys your a Mad DJ anyway (in the dutch way) so I'm surprised you have not buyed it ages ago ?!?! 
I had the Live 8 intro version, used that for a while to DJ until I bought a Novation Twitch with Serato software. So I upgraded to the full version now. :) Intro had a lot of limitations but was alright for maximum 2 hour mixing.

CharlyCharlzz

18 Jun 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: Phasys your a Mad DJ anyway (in the dutch way) so I'm surprised you have not buyed it ages ago ?!?! 
phasys wrote:
I had the Live 8 intro version, used that for a while to DJ until I bought a Novation Twitch with Serato software. So I upgraded to the full version now. :) Intro had a lot of limitations but was alright for maximum 2 hour mixing.
I got the lite version of 8 but I never deeped with it enougth to find my marks with it .
must be cool to use with Push or something like that.
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Gorilla Texas

21 Jun 2015

I never could get into using live the workflow sucks imo.

gak

22 Jun 2015

phasys wrote:
CharlyCharlzz wrote: I got the lite version of 8 but I never deeped with it enougth to find my marks with it .
must be cool to use with Push or something like that.
It's ok, but again, there are fatal flaws. Push hasn't been significantly updated in a VERY long time now and needed some love to keep up. LONG list list things people asking for that have not been implemented. Honestly? My nektar lx61 and reason integrate better currently than live/push ever did.

Push pads are "ok" but nothing to get overly excited about.

M4L is so buggy it's nearly unusable for probably an estimated 40% of suite owners.

Again, the product is pretty awesome, but it's behind where 9/push were introduced and M4L is a big problem for many. 

Theo.M

22 Jun 2015

I'm not a huge ableton Fan but I admit that Reason should learn a bit from the Live Jam&DJ way peoples are using Ableton LIVE .
for the sequencer part I love Reason but the 3 Windows mod on 7.1 is pathetic when using a 15 inch screen .

hmm i'm on 15" and like the 3 windows as I just use key commands to jump between them. Now with R8.3 and rack midi focus i will be doing that a lot less anyway.. I like the mixer being on it's own, i never feel the need to put all the three windows together TBH. I have all the things i don't need collapsed and on final mix i can just dedicate the whole screen to the mixer, nothing else, and, well, mix!

The other thing i noticed in this topic is the overall praise for ableton's automation which is actually one of the reasons i can't work in it as a serious daw as it doesn't have snapping - to me this is the biggest oversight ever and it's been requested for like 8 years straight now on deaf ears. 
The PDC has finally been fixed, i called it as soon as bitwig was released that ableton would fix it to stay competitive as full PDC was a constant big advertising point of bitwig.. in that respect bitwig did something good.
Like any daw they all have strengths and weaknesses.. one thing i could never get used to is the automation point lack of snap and the clip kill overlap.. 
Live also gets quite dizzying to look at with a busy project.. i dunno.. i always felt it was overpriced and rather lacking, but since it has the best and fastest temp sync browser preview in the business, i have no choice but to use it for tempo preview of any audio file i might want to add, until props add that feature to reason.. so i still do rewire the two for that one feature, then when i have picked my sounds, close the rewire link and relaunch reason and import the files, and use reason's superior stretch algorithm :)

Raveshaper

22 Jun 2015

I watched Future Music's featurette on the making of Chopstick and Johnjon's Pining Moon, and what I noticed was how they had difficulty navigating the clip launching grid. Their own project, their own work, but they were having trouble with it.

It also seemed like they had a hard time soloing clips where and when they wanted to. Made me appreciate how soloing and navigation works in Reason.

There is no holy grail, only increasing one's creative potential by learning more techniques and using more tools together. Each has its core strength.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

maketunes

23 Jun 2015

While i agree Reason is much more stimulating to work inside, Abletons rendering engine is superior , you can still get the best of both with our friend "rewire"

gak

23 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote:There is no holy grail, only increasing one's creative potential by learning more techniques and using more tools together. Each has its core strength.
This CANNOT be stressed enough. I didn't jump off of live because it was some POS (quite the opposite) it's just that for whatever reason (no pun intended) it just works for me. Live was never a problem with CPU (like bitwig was, though I really liked the direction they were moving before deadsville) I just was getting tired of how completely lacking the push/live dedication was. Considering how long I had them, I'd have thought a whole bunch of things would have been introduced (shrug) You know.......bringing it further and further (I still hear people complaining about how little has been done with push even with the 9.2 thing)

nooomy

08 Jul 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Ableton's sequencer is what I hate about it - fiddly automation, ugh.

But to each their own.

Be sure to check out the Max for Live stuff, especially Granulator. Now THAT's what I miss in Reason.
omg yes! the granulator is a wet dream for me... one day i hope we will have something similar

• Information