Question about open backed headphones for fat headed glasses wearer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
JNeffLind

02 Jun 2015

Hey Reasontalkers.

I've been looking at the Senheiser HD 650s and the AKG K701s online, but I can't find a retailer anywhere near me to try them on or listen to them. I have a pretty large head and large ears, plus I wear glasses and like to work for long periods of time so comfort is an issue for me. I think I'm also perhaps more prone to "listening fatigue" than the average, at least it seems that way with my Audio Technica M50s. Especially with certain sounds (like JP's B3T organ with the Fugue patch which I LOVE btw) I just have my ears ringing after a matter of minutes it seems.

Can anyone with a similar problem (big head, big ears, glasses wearer) speak to the comfort of either of these pairs of headphones or recommend something comparable in terms of quality and price? I'm open to any suggestions under $350.00 US.

Also, am I correct in my assumption that any quality pair of open backed headphones will help with the listening fatigue?

I do have decent nearfield monitors but I'm in an untreated room and need to be respectful to others in the house when it comes to making noise, hence the headphone interest. Thanks for your suggestions!

Tumble

03 Jun 2015

Sennheiser headphones are generally well suited for people with large heads. Especially the HD650 since it has got large and deep cups.

I wear glasses on my size L head, and my HD598 are very comfortable. My ears are quite normal in terms of size, though.

Also, am I correct in my assumption that any quality pair of open backed headphones will help with the listening fatigue?
Depends entirely on volume, as far as I can tell. I get less fatigue using my closed back HD6s that I am able to listen at lower volume than my open ones.

Olivier

03 Jun 2015

i can only comment on listening fatigue. For me its all about certain frequencies that tire me. If i take those down i'm fine wether i'm on headphones or speakers. The more closed of the headphones, the more appareant the tiring frequencies are.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

JNeffLind

03 Jun 2015

Thanks for the input fellas. Anyone else care to give their two cents before I commit to spending so many of mine?

gak

04 Jun 2015

Not really. I think the senn's are just dreamy (I have an older set, the 580's) which are non-fatiguing and really sound incredible. It's a little hard to get replacement parts these days (senn's generally have pads/cords/etc that can be replaced if needed) so I'm afraid to use mine too much. 

• Information