OMF/AFF support, Logic or Pro Tools?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Marco Raaphorst

14 May 2015

There's one thing missing in my setup: OMF/AFF support. Both Ableton Live and Reason don't support it. I am considering to switch to Pro Tools and Logic when doing music for video. Any ideas what would be best?

Gaja

15 May 2015

In my personal opinion I'd stay away from ProTools for anything compositional. It's just too much dealing with annoying stuff, for creatice juices to flow properly. So if you really desparately need omf export I'd go with Logic or cubase. But then again there should be no problem with stem exports (unless you're going to score for a 90min+ cinema production). So if you need it really desperately Logic and cubase both deliver. If you're doing lots of MIDI then stay away from ProTools, if you're doing recording only, then ProTools would be my weapon of choice.
If you're going to do Sounddesign as well, there will be no way around protools anyway. Everyone uses it and you can import session data for easy session migration (unless of course the session start isn't the same, then it's not easy unless you have a properly placed beep). Also it is nice to be able to give the mixing engineer a session with prepared stems and I/O, ready to rumble.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Marco Raaphorst

15 May 2015

Thanks. Yes using stems at the moment and I think I will keep doing that. I am reading about so many issues with OMF support. Thanks! 

• Information