Whats your Keyboard weapon of choice?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Speo
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

Hey all!

A key on my trusty Akai MPK 49 recently broke and unless I play with brute force, all my melodies have awkward gaps in them where G2's should be. It's been a while since I've shopped for hardware and I was wondering what your preferred midi-Keyboards are!

I'm especially looking for keys that feel like the keys on a real Piano would, I don't really care about other gimmicks (haven't touched the faders on my keyboard in years, mouse is just quicker).

I'm interested to know what you are using!

Have a good one!

hydlide

16 Feb 2015

I am planning to get the M-Audio 2014 Oxygen 49 / Oxygen 61 next thursday. Its around 139 / 159 euro.
Ok, it has them knobs and such. But since my previous Radium 49 is totally going nuts on the rotaries / has glitchy key, I am going for the Oxygen 49 / 61 as a replacement.

While this is a personal touch I am throwing in. If you are familiar with the Akai MPK 49, I would certainly go with something that is in the same direction. Since keyboards are always personal, and if you get something totally different it may feel a bit "odd".

Speo
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

The Oxygen does look great. You're right about keyboards being a very personal matter, though I was never too happy with the feeling of the MPK keys. Maybe a bit of a change wouldn't be all that bad!

joeyluck

16 Feb 2015

I use a Studiologic 88 key. Fatar keybeds are the best IMO. Arturia incorporated a Fatar keybed in their 88 key Keylab. You can also find Studiologic keyboards for cheap. Best weighted keys out there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... ammer.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyLab88

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

When I was choosing the keyboard, Oxygen seemed to me to have not that feel, so I chose Axiom with semi-weighed keys instead.
Now they also have Axiom AIR, it's not semi-weighed again.

dhruan

17 Feb 2015

Novation ReMote 61. My trusted workhorse of a keyboard that I have had for like eight years now. Nothing too fancy pad/knob/slider wise (they do work) but the important things for me as in the keys are the same as in the earlier Novation synths (Fatar keys with aftertouch). Lovely blend between synth'y and semiweighted feel. Oh, love the joystick and XY pad too. :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

tibah

17 Feb 2015

Most MIDI controllers are synth action keys, meaning they naturally won't feel like a piano at all. Personally, I have an Alesis V49 which is also synth action, but for some reason has a lot more "pressure" in the keys itself, which gives me a better feeling when playing. I choosed that over the Nektar Impact LX49 which is the little brother to their flagship controllers.

If you want to go the route of more authentic keys, there are a couple of options, all in the realm of full 88 keys. Of course they will be a lot more expensive than your average 49 or 61 controller, with synth action and some faders, knobs and rotaries.

Better visit a local store and lay your hands on some, maybe you will even like some general stuff, or dive into the hammer mechanism world and see what you can afford.

gullum

17 Feb 2015

I have a nektar panorama p4 and love it it integrated with reason like no other, but after I did a remote map for my icon controllers I don't use any of the knobs or fader on the P4 anymore. I like the feel when playing the keys, are not to heavy but you need to press while playing. 

QVprod

17 Feb 2015

Nektar P6. Best keyboard controller I've ever touched. have an Axiom 2nd gen that feels horrible in comparison. It's not the weighted feel you especially looking for but I get decent results playing piano on it. 

Nektar just released the Impact LX88 and it's cheap so that might be worth checking out but it has semi-weighted keys. Otherwise, as Joey said, your best bet would be a Studiologic keyboard (most say the keys are great) or the new Arturia Keylab 88. Nothing else in the sub $1000 range is worth looking at except maybe the Roland A-88. 

If by some chance you have a large budget, you could go for a stage piano or workstation as the cheaper digital pianos typically don't have mod wheels (if that's important to you).

motuscott

17 Feb 2015

For me it's a toss up between a keytar and the You Rock Guitar with the grand piano weighted keys.
I'll see myself out.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

O1B

17 Feb 2015

This just in:

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/tech/ ... rds-614337
All Code Series keyboards feature:
  • Professional feeling semi-weighted keybed with aftertouch and four assignable zones
  • 16 fully assignable backlit drum pads
  • XY pad
  • USB Bus powered for portability and ease of use
  • 5 Pin MIDI Input, and Output jacks allowing you to control your favorite synths
  • Fully assignable controls for mod wheel, pitch wheel, pads, knobs, faders, buttons, and transport control including XY pad with Mackie Control and HUI modes
  • Buttons are assignable to macro ASCII commands, letting you use your favorite DAW macros at the push of a single button
  • Expression and Sustain pedal inputs
  • 6 digit LED displa
K RRPs are £150 for the Code 25, £190 for the Code 49 and £230 for the Code 61.

http://maudio.com/products/view/oxygen- ... ONvNjmy78s

Axiom Pro 61 (49 pictured)
"if you're looking for ... basic sequencer mixer/plug‑in parameter control on a keyboard"
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov09/a ... mpro49.htm
"I preferred M‑Audio's Tru Touch keyboard action over that of the Remote 61SL MkII I recently reviewed,"

Pads suck.  Keys are Nice.  Novation 25 key, here..  AxP61, for midi range duties..
M-Audio's Oxy-Keys were like toys (to my hands) compared to the AxP's.

Good day to you, too.
Speo wrote:Hey all!

A key on my trusty Akai MPK 49 recently broke and unless I play with brute force, all my melodies have awkward gaps in them where G2's should be. It's been a while since I've shopped for hardware and I was wondering what your preferred midi-Keyboards are!

I'm especially looking for keys that feel like the keys on a real Piano would, I don't really care about other gimmicks (haven't touched the faders on my keyboard in years, mouse is just quicker).

I'm interested to know what you are using!

Have a good one!

bpmorton

17 Feb 2015

an 88 key controller doesnt have to be expensive for a good one. JoeyLuck pointed out the Fatar/Studiologic SL-990. I would actually steer you clear of a new keyboard for a couple of reasons. You can pic up an old Studiologic for about $150. Make sure you get the one with the Fatar TP/40 keyboard inside as these are the good ones with mechanisms that wont break apart from use and the frames are made from sheet steel instead of plastic. Look for an old Sl-880 as these have that keybed....the same keybed that the Kurzweil 2600 had...the k2500 and the studiologic SL990 use the more inferior mechanism which has it's counterbalance weights incased in plastic that becomes brittle and breaks apart. I know this because I have owned and repaired these two types of keyboards. The SL-880 will last forever because the counterbalance weights are long steel bars. Also: best feeling piano action around. The keys have this wonderful bounce when they come back and the SL-880 has Mono aftertouch.

zeebot

17 Feb 2015

Nektar P4 all the way, lovely controller :)
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

raymondh

18 Feb 2015

I use an M-Audio Prokeys88sx.

I switched to it for two reasons
- semi weighted keyboard - it's really nice to use
- 88 notes - I find it much more "immediate" when playing and also previewing sounds, than to rely on transpose keys

There's one regret - it doesn't have aftertouch. I wish it did.
But the action of the keyboard is so good, I wouldn't trade it for one with aftertouch.

I recently bought a DSI Mopho x4 synth, and it doubles as a nice controller too - small keyboard but nice (non-weighted) action and aftertouch.

Petegwatson

18 Feb 2015

I tried quite a few and settled for 2

Arturia analogue factory for synths
Korg Krome 88 full weighted for pianos

and Korg padkonrol for drums.
Soundcloud - peachy

Speo
RE Developer

20 Feb 2015

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate the pointers! I feel much more in the loop now :-). Gonna have another think and grab a top notch keyboard once the money's in :-).

Data_Shrine

26 Feb 2015

I have the Axiom 2nd gen 49, and the keys don't feel nice like real piano keys, but i've had it for many years now and it still works well. Perfect for playing synths.

I suggest you try before you buy.

Dry Gin

03 Jun 2017

Akai MAX49 work fine with Reason and have a CV outs for external modules.
Dry Gin :reason: :recycle: :re: :refillpacker: :refill: :ignition:
http://www.drygin.net
Allihoopa : dryginBrazil

keeverw

14 Jun 2017

I have used an M-Audio 1st Gen Axiom-61 for more than 12 years or so, and I love the action, and all the controls have been solid as well.
Recently my pitch-bend wheel has gone out, to where when it returns to center, the midi cc is not in the center, so it detunes whatever I'm playing.
So I've had to disable pitchbend on my Combinators I use.

I used to have a Code-61 and it had the same key action. I only got rid of it, because I was going away from software to a workstation.
But now that I'm back to software, I'm probably gonna buy another Code-61.

M-Audio's Axiom and now Code series key action is unique. It's definitely more piano-like than synth-like. But it's not a full hammer action either.
It fits the description of "semi-weighted" more appropriately than most controller that are labelled as such.
It really does feel like a cross between an synth and a hammer action.

Whereas the Oxygen series (I own an Oxy-49 2nd gen), is definitely more plastic feeling. It not only feels like a synth-action, but it feels like a cheap synth-action. It's ok for random lead parts (which is what I use it for) but I would never recommend it for a main controller.

Akai keyboards have always impressed me with features, but every time I try on in the store, I think to myself, this is so stiff. I could never play this thing any length of time, or my fingers would get worn out. That goes for the MPK-61 and even the 88. Both types are just so stiff.
I love the MAX49. I wish they had a MAX61. If they did, I might even just get over the stiff action.

I own a Korg M3, and if it weren't so heavy, I would seriously consider using it as my main controller, because the action is really nice.

I have always thought the Novation Impulse was a nice piece of gear, with an action very similar to the Axioms. But it hasn't been updated ever that I know of, and I hate to buy a product that old, even if it is new. I keep waiting for the Impulse 2. I would give that some serious consideration if it came out. The LaunchKey doesn't count. lol

Roland controllers, are too light, and the keys are too noisy in my opinion.

Those are the only ones I have experience with.

My next one will either be a Code-61 or maybe an LX-61

As as side note, why aren't we seeing more controllers with motorized faders? And I don't mean just one, like the Nektar. I mean 9, like the Motor-61.
Am I the only one that wants that?

My ideal controller would have 9 motorized faders, and 8 knobs with led rings for feedback.

BonsaiMacKay

15 Jun 2017

I'd love to get a MAX49 one of these days. I am by no means a keyboardist, so I don't mind the minikeys on the Korg MicroKontrol 37 I have had for over 12 years now. Sturdy and reliable.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-microkontrol

Edit: and I am just as happy with the Korg PadKontrol I have had for ages too. Gotta love Korg.

Olivier

15 Jun 2017

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2017

i have my eye on the deepmind 12 once it drops to around 600 used.

• Information