Anyone own a TE-OP1?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Nymphomation

09 Feb 2015

Considering getting one and have a few nerdy questions for people who have actually used them....

zeebot

09 Feb 2015

Was hovering over the buy button for one of those last year but went for an ipad instead.
I know a few members on the old forum had one so hopefully they will chime in. 
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

sentient.minority

09 Feb 2015

I have an OP-1.

I'll try and help if I can.

Nymphomation

10 Feb 2015

Brilliant! I'm thinking of getting one (probably 2nd hand) as I've wanted one for ages, but also to replace my Korg ESX1 (sampling drum machine)
So my main questions:
- how long have you had it and how has the battery held up?

- I want to use it as a drum machine (as well as all the other amazing things it does.) I've got tonnes of vintage drum machine samples which I love. How easy is it to build up kits on the OP1, and how many kits & samples can it store? Is there software to help you build/manage the kits, or is a case of loading one up at a time etc.

- Is the max steps for the sequencer 16 steps?

- How many patterns can you save, and can you chain them together to make a 'song'?

- I understand that it can't send or receive MIDI clock with out a USB host (like the Kenton box), or go through a laptop? I'm kind of into computer-less setups, so interested how it would function without a laptop/DAW

- Are you still enjoyin it?! Has 'the novelty' worn off, or are you still using it a lot?!

Thanks for any answers you can give :)

sentient.minority

10 Feb 2015

Nymphomation wrote:Brilliant! I'm thinking of getting one (probably 2nd hand) as I've wanted one for ages, but also to replace my Korg ESX1 (sampling drum machine)
So my main questions:
- how long have you had it and how has the battery held up?

- I want to use it as a drum machine (as well as all the other amazing things it does.) I've got tonnes of vintage drum machine samples which I love. How easy is it to build up kits on the OP1, and how many kits & samples can it store? Is there software to help you build/manage the kits, or is a case of loading one up at a time etc.

- Is the max steps for the sequencer 16 steps?

- How many patterns can you save, and can you chain them together to make a 'song'?

- I understand that it can't send or receive MIDI clock with out a USB host (like the Kenton box), or go through a laptop? I'm kind of into computer-less setups, so interested how it would function without a laptop/DAW

- Are you still enjoyin it?! Has 'the novelty' worn off, or are you still using it a lot?!

Thanks for any answers you can give :)
I have had it for just over a year and the battery is fine. The charging lights can be a little temperamental but it doesn't affect the run time of the unit (it shows three of the five lights when fully charged). It tends to reset the lights if I plug it in to the Mac.

There is an OP-1 drum utility available for download, details can be found here: http://now.teenageengineering.com/post/ ... um-utility this will take 24 samples and join them together in to a kit for you (basically one long sample). Alternatively you can sample up to 12 seconds directly then chop it up and map it to the keys.

You should be able to store around 20 kits on the unit but it will also depend how many synth patches you have stored.

The endless sequencer can store 99 notes/drum hits or rests but can only use the pattern attributed to it (so you can only use the current pattern which is saved when the unit is turned off).

The pattern sequencer has a 16 note grid with all of the available drum hits vertically and scrolls horizontally to play them (classic sequencer really), again it only stores the current sequence which is stored when the unit is turned off.

The tombola sequencer is a bit off the wall, you play notes which drop in to the container and rotate the tombola (you set the speed) which adds a random effect using only the notes you play. You can open the tombola to let notes fall out or keep it shut and use what's in there. This type cannot be saved (it's random after all).

The sketch sequencer is also a bit odd, effectively it's an etch a sketch where the height of the line you draw determines the note/drum hit and the length determines the sequence (basically a sequence line). Shake the OP-1 to erase and start again. Again this is stored when turning the synth off.

The finger sequencer can play 36 notes/drum hits or rests and shows either two gorillas (drum mode) or two keyboard players (synth mode). You can assign a different sequence to each of the White keys (14 total) for both synth and drum modes. You can also play 2 sequences at the same time by type, so two drum patterns or two keyboard patterns.

Bear in mind that you can make segments of song on the tape and jump between them accordingly to make your own songs (as per my below version of "The Model"). It was made up of a handful of clips then I jumped around them (endless sequencer used for the lead parts in the middle and end).

With regards to MIDI implementation you will need some sort of host that will transfer USB MIDI data. The iConnect or Kenton hosts seem to be popular, I guess you could also use an iPad with a camera connection kit, a USB hub and a compatible sound card.

I still love my OP-1 and use it regularly, it is a strangely compelling and interesting device!

Points to note:

When you record to tape there are often pops at the zero point crossings, this is not usually the case when using recorded sequences but more when you play freehand. There are ways to get round it (adjusting the ADSR, not using overlapping drones etc.). It's something you get used to and account for.

Also there are reported problems with the inbuilt speaker and microphones giving up, also problems with the input and output jacks failing. I look after my stuff very carefully and have suffered none of these but beware when buying second hand (personally I wouldn't).

Cuckoo is very good with the OP-1 (watch his other videos too):

http://youtu.be/vJwU8utM7iE

I love the following song too:

http://youtu.be/YPCxE6Gy4Cs

Finally join the following site for loads of info and resources:

http://operator-1.com/

There's so much to the OP-1 that it's hard to list, I found it pretty simple to learn and use though.

Never regretted it.

I hope all of this helps, feel free to ask other questions!

Nymphomation

11 Feb 2015

Hi, thanks for all the info, really useful.

Just to clarify - can you only hold 1 pattern at a time? So no building up a set of patterns and switching between them?

You mentioned you can make segments on the tape and jump between them, but I can't quite get my head around that - guess you have to use it! How do you jump, with queue markers?

Still really interested in it, but not sure it will replace my ESX for drum duties. I love the ESX, but it's soooo huge for what it does! That new Volca Sample might do the trick, in a lofi budget kind of way...

Great videos by the way, Cuckoo is great!

sentient.minority

11 Feb 2015

Nymphomation wrote:Hi, thanks for all the info, really useful.

Just to clarify - can you only hold 1 pattern at a time? So no building up a set of patterns and switching between them?

You mentioned you can make segments on the tape and jump between them, but I can't quite get my head around that - guess you have to use it! How do you jump, with queue markers?

Still really interested in it, but not sure it will replace my ESX for drum duties. I love the ESX, but it's soooo huge for what it does! That new Volca Sample might do the trick, in a lofi budget kind of way...

Great videos by the way, Cuckoo is great!
You have the ability with the finger sequencer to create 14 patterns of which you can play any two at a time (by using the White keys). You can use a hold function on these if you wish.

Here is how I make & join segments:

Create a four bar loop segment on the tape (using left and right locators). Record on as many of the four available tracks as you like. You can then create another segment of four bars and so on.... When you play one looped segment you can press shift and the right arrow to play the next one after the current one finishes. Press the arrow twice and it will skip a segment, press the back arrow and it will shift back a segment. Press play after shift and back/forward arrow and it will shift to the same point in the next/last segment immediately. In this way you can make whatever sequences you want. Bear in mind that you can also mute any of the four tracks in a loop too.

This video shows what I mean, watch his left hand using the shift and arrow keys to change parts on the tape (not a particularly good song mind you):

http://youtu.be/ELtVJZaBOr4

It's quite difficult to explain but very easy to get the hang of.

I don't think anyone would regret buying one of these!

There are some good tutorials on YouTube by DJThomasWhite and you can view the OP-1 manual here: https://www.teenageengineering.com/_img ... iginal.pdf

You could also pay a visit to a retail store like DV247 in Romford and have a go (it shows you live in London on your profile) or I'm just down the line in Clacton if you want to meet up and have a go on it (or meet in Colchester)?

Nymphomation

18 Feb 2015

Hey, thanks again for the info. The finger sequencer looks awesome, that should do the trick!

Thanks also for the offer of hooking up and letting me try yours out - that's why I love this forum, people are so helpful :)

I bit the bullet and ordered myself one... looking forward to getting my hands dirty with it :)

I like your cover of The Model btw, I'm gonna check out some more of your Soundcloud!

zeebot

18 Feb 2015

There are also some nice drumkits for the OP on soundcloud..

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

sentient.minority

18 Feb 2015

@Nymphomation A purchase you won't regret, it has it's quirks but is truly a one of a kind. Congratulations!

Make sure you head over to operator-1.com for some really useful resource material. They often have OP-1 battles too (all friendly).

@zeebot good call there are loads of OP-1 kit's available on Soundcloud.

:)

Nymphomation

25 Feb 2015

@Sentient Minority

Hey man, getting on really well with it. It's a great bit of kit, and small enough to actually use on my commute, which is a bonus. The addition of the radio and ability to sample direct is a stroke of genius. I've already created things I never would have normally done.

One thing I'm having trouble with, is trying to get some acid sounds out if it! I like the digital tones, and they are tones I can't get out of my other synths (Volca Bass & Analog Keys), but I would really like to try and get some 303 like acid going with just the OP1.

Any pointers? I figure I might be able to wrangle the LFO and maybe the Nitro FX? There don't seem any engines that are that suited to the subtractive acid way.

sentient.minority

26 Feb 2015

Subtractive synthesis isn't really it's thing, of course you can use samples and effects to filter.

There's a TB-303 style here:

http://youtu.be/38Yv79tOrF4

Also have you joined operator-1.com yet as there are some great tips and tricks on there?

Think you'll have more OP-1 joy on there TBH.

Nymphomation

27 Feb 2015

Cheers, I have joined OP-1, I thought I'd give you as quick shout out first :)

Yeah, I saw that and tired it, it's very tricky and there's tiny sweet spot - though props to the guy for trying! I know that the OP isn;t really made for those kinds of sounds... maybe I'll ample my Voca! I'll get on the OP1 threads too and see if anyones got some acid tips!

Loving you tunes by the way.. up for a collab at some point? Share very similar musical influences, we both use Reason, Cubase and NI stuff. And I play bass...

sentient.minority

27 Feb 2015

I'd love to collaborate, looks as though you have a presence on the Elektronauts site also.

I have an Analog Four, Analog Rytm & Octatrack.

Be interesting to hook up, perhaps you can send me a PM so that we can sort something out?

Stryker 17

07 Jul 2017

I'm going on my second month with op1 its very inspiring piece of equipment never had anything to compare it to user friendly but also detailed so it takes some study,first day i was making beats, on my lunch break, after work into the night ,all trying to fight off my son and daughter from it !!the price tag was like whoa!but it was surly worth it!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Information