Build your own microphone

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
JoshuaPhilgarlic

03 Feb 2015

Just found this. Didn't try it myself, but looks interesting ;) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-wkw98j7Q

Julibee

03 Feb 2015

'Scuze me... I gotta run out and buy some alligator clips.....

(That is super awesome, and I am SO doing it)
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

ScuzzyEye

03 Feb 2015

Did you know you can also use a speaker as a microphone? They don't have amazing audio quality, and limited frequency response, but if you're looking for a unique and colored tone, they'll deliver that. :) No phantom voltage, just a pre-amp with enough gain is all that's needed.

EnochLight

03 Feb 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:Just found this. Didn't try it myself, but looks interesting ;) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-wkw98j7Q
That's bad ass - thanks for sharing!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Julibee

06 Feb 2015

So, I/we made one... My son and his bestie were here after school today, and we started by folding origami boxes, since I didn't have a matchbox (well, I had ONE, but it was ancient and a keepsake, and too short). 

The one caveat I can give you is that it is a LOT harder to get a lead out of a pencil than they made it seem on the video. Pencil number four was the one that finally worked. The mess I made to prove it:

Here they are attaching the alligator clips [both of them are ginormous (and adorable) nerds that grew up with snap circuits and Evan is mastering his solder gun, so this was literally child's play]:

Verdict?  Hooked to cheap earbuds, tapping the box definitely produces an audible vibration.  Moving the graphite leads in the box makes you want to scream. In fact, my son DID. hahaha!

We couldn't tell if *speaking* into it made any sound at all, and I was super hopeful that it would... so I removed the earbuds and hooked it up to a mini plug to mini plug lead I had, added a 1/4" plug adapter to one end, crossed my fingers and plugged it into my Focusrite Scarlett. I then tried to capture it on a recording with an Edisonesque 'Watson, come here, I need you!". No dice. Cranked the gain... nope. Not a waver. Flatlined.

So, I guess I won't be using it on my next project, but it did give the boys something to do for an hour. About all I could have asked for, really. 

All in all, glad I tried. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 814 times
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

• Information