Kilpatrick Audio - Phenol!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Jagwah

24 Jan 2015

I'm seriously interested in this one, less that $900 CAD it looks like a very real possibility to me. This was started as a kickstarter project and has surpassed the goal and is planned to ship in a few months. I love the idea of a modular system but that's out of my reach and this is not.

Any opinions on this one?

I'm hoping I can also control this with Reason via USB for gate / CV and automation, that should be possible right?

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=phenol

Attachments
phenol.jpg
phenol.jpg (202.35 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

pushedbutton

26 Jan 2015

It seems like the sort of thing that does something.
I've never seen it before and I'm not sure what it does but it is very pretty and I like the colourful patch cables.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Jagwah

26 Jan 2015

Well it's like an all in one modular system. I've gone off it anyway, there's such a massive choice out there it's crazy, it's actually really hard to decide on something :wave:

tibah

26 Jan 2015

Seems like ACE (u-he) as hardware. :)  Or maybe Aalto. (I love that thing!)

The cool thing about software, you can mostly hide it from your significant other...

aka I'm out.  :crazy:

pushedbutton

26 Jan 2015

The next time I have that kind of money to spend on a controller I intend to build a bespoke controller. I had a go once and only got as far as seeing how much potential there is before I toasted a major component and development ground to a halt.
I really wish I had a buddy who liked soldering because I'm crap at it.
If you don't want to get your fingers burnt (literally) you can probably still buy a load of modular components that you can put together with hot glue.
Once you get your head round how a 10k potentiometer works you start to wonder why midi controllers are so bland.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

tibah

26 Jan 2015

My mate started to noodle around with Arduino. He's also working on his own Word Clock

Basically, from what he's trying to tell me is that most MIDI controllers out there are overpriced crap. Even more so with large numbers, build in China.

Of course, this topic is about a new analog synthesizer! :)

-008'

26 Jan 2015

IchMensch wrote:My mate started to noodle around with Arduino. He's also working on his own Word Clock

Basically, from what he's trying to tell me is that most MIDI controllers out there are overpriced crap. Even more so with large numbers, build in China.

Of course, this topic is about a new analog synthesizer! :)
I mess with Arduino too and I built one of those WordClocks for my wife's office. :)

--

@Jagwah I think you should be able to make that Phenol and Reason talk to each other just fine. You might need to have an audio interface with DC-coupled outs, and/or  that RE from Expert Sleepers which was made for this stuff: Im sure you've already seen it, but for any others interested: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/
Silent Way Voice Controller allows you to control your analog synths directly from Reason, in conjunction with a DC-coupled audio interface or an Expert Sleepers hardware module.

It says "in conjunction" ...but I believe it requires a DC-coupled interface or the expert sleepers HW module, IIRC. 

Anyway, I'm more of a sleeper and less of an expert when it comes to this stuff, but i know some experts are lurking around. Hopefully they'll chime in for us. :)

EDIT: after looking at the link i see midi input right on the board itself. ;) That changes and also simplifies things a bit, i guess?

Internal MIDI to CV converter with DIN and USB MIDI interfaces
  :s0230:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Jagwah

26 Jan 2015

-008' wrote:EDIT: after looking at the link i see midi input right on the board itself.
-008' wrote: ;) That changes and also simplifies things a bit, i guess?
Internal MIDI to CV converter with DIN and USB MIDI interfaces
-008' wrote:  :s0230:
[/b]
Thanks a lot for that info, now that I'm looking around at other synths that's what I really wanted to know. Yeah a simple USB cable can send midi CV data now as far as I know, lots of the newer synths seem to have them. I will have to make sure about it all before I get serious about a purchase, thanks for chiming in :angel:

Jagwah

26 Jan 2015

pushedbutton wrote:The next time I have that kind of money to spend on a controller I intend to build a bespoke controller.
One thing I don't get is gear lust for controllers. I have two keyboards and a padkontrol and I rarely use them. I probably will use them more in the future but I see people salivating over new controllers and it's something I really don't have in common with them.

True analogue synthesizers though... :love:

• Information