Sequential is back: Prophet 6

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
eusti

22 Jan 2015

D.

Heater

22 Jan 2015

All over my face.  Wow.

Olivier

22 Jan 2015

YUMMIE !!!
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

offaxisdaddy

22 Jan 2015

MSP $2,799. I'm looking forward to checking this out - but the price seems a bit odd - only $200 cheaper than the Prophet 12 and $700 more than the Prophet '08 - both of which have a 5 octave keyboard. 

Heater

22 Jan 2015

offaxisdaddy wrote:MSP $2,799. I'm looking forward to checking this out - but the price seems a bit odd - only $200 cheaper than the Prophet 12 and $700 more than the Prophet '08 - both of which have a 5 octave keyboard. 
MSP $2,799.  Feck :frown:

Some Desperate Glory

22 Jan 2015

offaxisdaddy wrote:MSP $2,799. I'm looking forward to checking this out - but the price seems a bit odd - only $200 cheaper than the Prophet 12 and $700 more than the Prophet '08 - both of which have a 5 octave keyboard. 
But this one has the little script "SEQUENTIAL" on the back so everyone knows you spent almost $3k on a keyboard.   ;)
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

sentient.minority

22 Jan 2015

If for example you had just purchased the Prophet 12 and then saw this, would you feel like you've made a mistake?

**cough** My friend has one being delivered tomorrow from Germany via DV247 and wonders whether he has made a mistake **cough**.

My friend would like to know what the differences are and I could then share your opinions with him when I see him next ;)

eusti

22 Jan 2015

I think it's too early to tell, Sentient.Minority... I always liked the idea of the Prophet 8 and 12, but thought the sound was not really appealing... Not sure if it was the oscs or the filters... But the Pro-2 seemed to sound better to my ears... So, if it is closer in sound to the Pro-2 than the 8/12, I think it's more interesting... But costwise out of my reach in any case! ;)

D.

eusti

22 Jan 2015

sentient.minority

22 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:I think it's too early to tell, Sentient.Minority... I always liked the idea of the Prophet 8 and 12, but thought the sound was not really appealing... Not sure if it was the oscs or the filters... But the Pro-2 seemed to sound better to my ears... So, if it is closer in sound to the Pro-2 than the 8/12, I think it's more interesting... But costwise out of my reach in any case! ;)

D.
I have an Analog Four for monosynth duties so I want as many notes of polophony as I can get.

I did test it extensively and loved it!

eusti

22 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:I think it's too early to tell, Sentient.Minority... I always liked the idea of the Prophet 8 and 12, but thought the sound was not really appealing... Not sure if it was the oscs or the filters... But the Pro-2 seemed to sound better to my ears... So, if it is closer in sound to the Pro-2 than the 8/12, I think it's more interesting... But costwise out of my reach in any case! ;)

D.
sentient.minority wrote: I have an Analog Four for monosynth duties so I want as many notes of polophony as I can get. I did test it extensively and loved it!
Great! Tell your friend then! ;)

D.

eusti

22 Jan 2015

Check out the sounds of the Prophet 6 here:

https://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstrum ... et-6-audio

D.

Heater

22 Jan 2015

I don't know.  There is something about this synth that really makes me want it.  I've not felt an attack of GAS as strong as this for a long long time.

Some Desperate Glory

22 Jan 2015

I know what you mean.  I haven't wanted a new synth more than this in *years*.  Those sound examples are amazing.

Wish I had a few thousand bucks lying around.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

raymondh

22 Jan 2015

This sounds amazing!

I really like my Mopho X4, the sound character is similar, but several of those examples go well beyond what the Mopho is capable of. 

*sigh* :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Jan 2015

Sadly, very sadly, out of my budget, but... wow!

I got the horn!! :)

Oh and Korg, that's how you do a great teaser video!!

eusti

23 Jan 2015

Someone on the Analogue Heaven list reported something along the lines of: "Played it briefly; sounded amazing. Doesn't sound remotely like the current DSI products..."

D.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

23 Jan 2015

Honestly I never had a clue that the 'Sequential" brand was owned by Yamaha in the past. Did they ever do anything out of it :roll: ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrCEmncGz-o

Some Desperate Glory

23 Jan 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:Honestly I never had a clue that the 'Sequential" brand was owned by Yamaha in the past. Did they ever do anything out of it :roll: ??
When I bought a Prophet-600 back in 1993 I got to talk to the guy from Wine Country (that sells and services old Prophets).  He said that Dave Smith and his team worked at Yamaha only briefly then went to Korg where the technology they worked on became the Korg Wavestation.  No wonder I wanted one so bad!   :)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

23 Jan 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:Honestly I never had a clue that the 'Sequential" brand was owned by Yamaha in the past. Did they ever do anything out of it :roll: ??
Some Desperate Glory wrote:
When I bought a Prophet-600 back in 1993 I got to talk to the guy from Wine Country (that sells and services old Prophets).  He said that Dave Smith and his team worked at Yamaha only briefly then went to Korg where the technology they worked on became the Korg Wavestation.  No wonder I wanted one so bad!   :)
Ah, yes, I forgot that Dave Smith went to Korg for the Wavestation after Sequential passed away, and Korg was bought by Yamaha when they went bankrupt. Korg is healthy and independent again, as well as Sequential. So, maybe, we should praise Yamaha for helping those developers to survive :D !

bpmorton

24 Jan 2015

DSI's stuff uses either digitally controlled analog oscillators (P08) or fully digital oscillators (P12.) In either case I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two with or without the slop parameter turned on. With this in mind If I was to have that much money to spend I'd get the P12. Much of the bad press about the P12's sound is from the analog purists who are only hearing the patches made with the wavetables which make it sound more like The VS or PPG.

raymondh

25 Jan 2015

I used to own a Wavestation EX. I had no idea that Dave Smith was behind that!

I really liked it and I regretted selling it. Really awesome sounds (Deep Forest anyone?) - but I never programmed my own sounds on it.

bpmorton

25 Jan 2015

You dont have to regret selling your Wavestation because Korg sells it now for $50 as a VST/stand alone synth.

Smedberg

26 Jan 2015

In 1987 Yamaha bought Sequential and Dave Smith and his team developed the SY22. In 1988 Yamaha bought 51% of Korg shares and part of Daves team went there and developed the Wavestation.

Korg later bought that shares back from Yamaha

• Information