Logic X 10.1!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
davidvilla

23 Jan 2015

For those of you on a budget, keep in mind that you can get access to Logic's sound library, including all of Logic's best synths and effects, PLUS the new Auto Sampler (Redmatica) for only $29.99.

https://www.apple.com/mainstage/

QVprod

23 Jan 2015

davidvilla wrote: PLUS the new Auto Sampler (Redmatica) for only $29.99.

https://www.apple.com/mainstage/
Mainstage 3 owner here.Wow! didn't realize they updated Mainstage as well, and with autosampler? (Logic does;t have this feature apparently) I'm excited! Got a Motif classic at work right now....time for some fun.... :s0221:

Only downside is mapping for NNXT is a manual process.

davidvilla

23 Jan 2015

Yeah, I wish it was in Logic, but something *better* is coming anyway..

Here's the Auto Sampler manual:

https://help.apple.com/autosampler/mac/1.0/#/

QVprod

23 Jan 2015

davidvilla wrote:Yeah, I wish it was in Logic, but something *better* is coming anyway..

Here's the Auto Sampler manual:

https://help.apple.com/autosampler/mac/1.0/#/
Got to play with it a bit and it's dope! Granted it's a portion of the original Redmantica software so that's to be expected but the patch I sampled from the motif sounded great exactly the same, only trouble was loops points because I forgot to turn off the reverb.....rookie mistake :s0959: .

I wonder what this "better" thing coming is though. 

davidvilla

24 Jan 2015

Holy guacamole.

I've never played with anything by Redmatica in the past, so I don't know if Auto Sampler is the complete thing (sounds like it's not?) but I just ripped 3 pianos off of the Concert Piano expansion card by Roland, and the resulting EXS instruments are EXACT copies. It is so easy - all you have to do is hit "sample" and it does everything for you automatically.  In fact, while I am sitting here watching Cabin in the Woods, I can hear auto sampler sampling another piano for me. And in about 15 minutes, it will be ready to play through the EXS24. 

Freaking AMAZING.

Gaja

26 Jan 2015

stratatonic wrote:Yeah, that's a heck of an upgrade...for free

Just have to upgrade to OS 10.9.5 Yosemite...

Logic Pro X 10.1 update
New Features

10 new Drummers that produce beats in a variety of electronic and hip hop styles including Techno, House, Trap, Dubstep and more
Drummer provides specialized sound and performance controls for dialing in electronic or hip hop drum grooves
New Drum Machine Designer plug-in for customizing electronic drum kits
Redesigned Compressor plug-in features scalable, Retina-ready interface and 7 models including the new Classic VCA
Retro Synth can now create wavetables from imported audio and is able to stack up to 8 voices
Note Repeat and Spot Erase modes allow classic drum machine style techniques for creating beats in realtime
Automation can now be part of a region, not just the track
Relative and Trim Automation modes extend the options for fine-tuning existing automation
Manage large-scale mixes more easily with the addition of console-style VCA faders in the mixer
Mixer now allows remote control of microphone and other input settings for compatible audio interfaces
Realtime rendering of fades allow them to work with Flex Pitch and speeds up project load times
The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu
Support for Mail Drop and AirDrop in OS X Yosemite makes it even easier to share your Logic projects
Expanded sound library includes over 200 new synth patches and 10 Mellotron instruments
The Piano Roll editor now features a Brush tool for creating or deleting a sequence of notes with single mouse gestures
Smart Quantize proportionally corrects the timing and length of notes to preserve the musicality of your original performance
Track Stacks can now be disclosed/undisclosed directly in the Mixer independently of the Tracks area
New Collapse view option in the Piano Roll Editor lets you see more notes in less vertical space
It's now possible to create more than one Drummer track per song
It's now possible to copy and paste voices between different instances of Ultrabeat
There's a new option in the Drummer Editor action menu that allows you to change the drummer without also changing the drum kit
Alternatives can now be exported as fully independent projects
There's now a button in the Main window to automatically set the vertical zoom to the optimal resolution to maximize track height while keeping all tracks visible
A new Region parameter allows the playback speed of Apple Loops to be altered from â…› to 8x the original speed
Command-clicking an enabled mute or solo button un-mutes or un-solos all channels if no track is muted or soloed, and command-clicking a mute or solo button mutes or solos all tracks
There's now a Kill/Recall Solo button in the track header area that toggles the solo state of all currently soloed tracks
The Reset Channel Strip command now works for multiple selected channel strips in the Mixer
Logic now supports the Bravura score font
There's a new key command for enabling/disabling the Flex or Follow Tempo Region parameter
Logic can now import multichannel interleaved audio files and convert them to individual mono files
When bouncing a project, the default name for the bounced file is now the project name
The Piano Roll now includes an option to display drum names instead of note names when working with Drummer tracks, EXS drum kits or Ultrabeat tracks
Time Handles in the Piano Roll allow time stretching/compression on selected notes
It's now possible to adjust the position and borders of regions in the Piano Roll time line
Undo is now available in the Notepad
Undo is now available for Score Set edits
A single click now inserts an EQ into the EQ slot of a channel strip
Logic now supports 50, 5994d, 5994, 60 d and 60 fps frame rates
There's now a Track Protect button for the Movie track
The Repeat Regions/Events key command now duplicates the currently selected region or event without opening a dialog window (the previous behavior for this command is accessed with the new key command Repeat Regions/Events Multiple Times)
Smart Controls mapped to plug-in parameters are now dimmed when the plug-in is bypassed
User created Groove Templates are now available from the Time Quantize menu in the Piano Roll
When dragging objects, the Tooltip now shows both the bar/beat and time position
The Beat Mapping track now offers a Protect Flex Markers option in the Beat Mapping drop-down menu
The Copy command now copies selected markers in the Marker List window as text
When multiple closed Track Stack regions are glued together, Logic now maintains the individual tracks within the stack
The Convert to New Sampler Track sheet includes a new option for creating ‘1 Shot’ Zones
Auto backups of Logic projects are now directly accessible from the Quick Looks view
It's now possible to specify up to 100 automatic backups per alternative in a project
Dragging a movie in the Movie Track now moves in increments of one frame and the Option key can be used to position it in smaller increments
When Logic extracts audio from a movie file, it now creates a time-stamped Broadcast Wave file
When a movie is added that is longer than the current project, the project is now automatically lengthened to accommodate it
A region with movie audio sync can now be defined for a movie file
When exporting audio to a movie, Logic now uses the project sample rate
When exporting audio to a movie, the length of the selected regions now determines the overall length of the newly created movie
The contents of the Bounces folder is now excluded when Cleanup Project is used on a folder project
The Clean Up Project dialog now shows the dates previous operations were performed
Well actually this is a prime example of price dumping isn't it?
I mean sure they can afford it, since the money they actually make comes from entirely different products, so why not ruin the market for those who make only daw software...
That move is much more evil and greedy than anyting props would have done. It's pure cold hearted calculated destruction of market and also an attempt at slaving everyone who makes music to mac.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

davidvilla

26 Jan 2015

It's an excellent EXCELLENT product though.
And ultimately you have the freedom to choose.

Consider me a slave for life.

Gaja

26 Jan 2015

davidvilla wrote:It's an excellent EXCELLENT product though.

Yeah that might be true. But it's a questionable business practice nonetheless :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Yeah that might be true. But it's a questionable business practice nonetheless :)
Well to be fair, Reaper cost $65 USD (just over a third of the price of Logic X) and can also be infinitely usable for "free" yet is just as powerful as everything else (if you can dig it's workflow). Cockos been undercutting the market for years.  ;)  

dreampolice

26 Jan 2015

I was a redmatica user back in the day. Can you save the patches from main stage in other formats or is it just for exs24?

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

dreampolice wrote:I was a redmatica user back in the day. Can you save the patches from main stage in other formats or is it just for exs24?
Only exs24. You know Apple's not gonna give away all the goods. You'd have to manually map the resulting samples for other formats if you wanted it. Still a time saver and more precise not having to use your own fingers to do the sampling though.

dreampolice

26 Jan 2015

Thanks QV, do they give you an actual .exs file do you know? If so I could just use Chicken systems to get it to NNXT http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

dreampolice wrote:Thanks QV, do they give you an actual .exs file do you know? If so I could just use Chicken systems to get it to NNXT http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/
Thought about mentioning translator, but I don't have it so I can't vouch for it being good or bad (I've seen mixed reviews on the PUF including the huge argument with the Dev). Yeah it's an actual exs file so if it works as well as it should, I'd imagine that being a simple conversion.

dreampolice

26 Jan 2015

Cool, yea I own it and it works pretty well for most things that are not overly complicated. Thanks for the info man!

davidvilla

26 Jan 2015

I've sampled string patches, pads, electric guitars, pianos, and nylon guitars, and so far the results have been incredibly automatic and mind-blowingly accurate. It's so accurate in fact, that I am planning on ripping everything off of my keyboards and selling them. It's going to take a while, but the results will be worth it.

davidvilla

26 Jan 2015

And speaking of Chicken Systems' Translator - in my seemingly never-ending quest to get good sounding acoustic instruments into Reason, I've previously messed with converting some of my EXS instruments to NNXT format, but found that converting them to SF2 sounded better to me. If you do attempt to convert your EXS files, can you let me know if you are hearing the same thing?

Gaja

26 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Yeah that might be true. But it's a questionable business practice nonetheless :)
QVprod wrote:
Well to be fair, Reaper cost $65 USD (just over a third of the price of Logic X) and can also be infinitely usable for "free" yet is just as powerful as everything else (if you can dig it's workflow). Cockos been undercutting the market for years.  ;)  
while that is true, they explicitly ask to buy Reaper for the full price, if you make more than a certain amount of money with it. I think that is fair, as for many people the cost involved in getting a DAW is too high and with Reaper they can easily afford it. Of course I don't know if professionals pay the required full price, but if they don't they are technically supporting price dumping, which is actively destroying businesses. Logic on the other hand has a huge amount of features built in (much more than vanilla Reaper) that are worth much much more than the 179€ they ask for it. This is making it harder for other developers to keep up with the pace and depth of development for the price customers would like, as precedented by Logic.
Of course they are a company and are solely responsible for their pricing decisions, so who am I to argue with that?
Edit: spelling
Cheers!
Fredhoven

dreampolice

26 Jan 2015

Really? I have not done that conversion in years but it should all be referencing the same files. I'm about to buy a new Mac so I will try and make some new patches and will let you know.

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:
Gaja wrote:while that is true, they explicitly ask to buy Reaper for the full price, if you make more than a certain amount of money with it. I think that is fair, as for many people the cost involved in getting a DAW is too high and with Reaper they can easily afford it. Of course I don't know if professionals pay the required full price, but if they don't they are technically supporting price dumping, which is actively destroying businesses. Logic on the other hand has a huge amount of features built in (much more than vanilla Reaper) that are worth much much more than the 179€ they ask for it. This is making it harder for other developers to keep up with the pace and depth of development for the price customers would like, as precedented by Logic. Of course they are a company and are solely responsible for their pricing decisions, so who am I to argue with that? Edit: spelling
Fair argument, I forgot about the full price thing (not a personal fan of Reaper). I'd still put the two at equal in terms of functionality, except for instruments of course, but Logic has had the best stock instruments for years. Arguably though with Reaper you could equal that by shopping around for free instrument plugs. Even at it's full price though Reaper's only $25 more than Logic is now. 

There's also Studio One 2 Producer which is arguably a full version (the missing features of Pro are probably negligible to the average user). It's price is $199.95. I think it's just the way the market is now. I do see where you're coming from though as Logic does have the largest amount of features of the major DAWs.

dreampolice

26 Jan 2015

Man logics midi functionality blows reapers away!

Gaja

27 Jan 2015

dreampolice wrote:Man logics midi functionality blows reapers away!
Although I have to say playing a piano part in Logic (last version I used was 9 I think) is a horrible exercise. I think it's called MIDI jitter?
That thing where you don't have a consistent latency, but it changes all the time? Yeah that. Shit! After that experience I was in love with Reason all over again! How can people play music that way? I don't mean to insult or anything, I'm genuinly baffled, because I couldn't. I hope they fixed this in Logic X.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

davidvilla

27 Jan 2015

Really? Never experienced that in 9 or X.

EDIT: Or if that does/did happen, I never notice it.

davidvilla

27 Jan 2015

Still would rather deal with unnoticeable jitter (in Logic) than with noticeable shitty pianos (in Reason). :D

• Information