Slate Digital sale going on this weekend.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
djfm1983
Posts: 87
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

Hey guys just wanted to inform everyone about the Slate Digital sale going on this weekend. The VMR is on sale for $149 and for $50 extra you can add another Slate Digital plugin. There's also deal on the VRM with an ilok for $169 for those without an ilok.
I've been demoing the VMR plugin and it's awesome! IMO VMR has a better FET Comp compared to Softube (too bad it doesn't feature the all in option though). I ran the BDF drums combinator through it and was amazed at how better it sounded to me (especially when set to slowest attack and fastest release). The ssl eq sounds great and the free revival is sweet.
If the VMR sounds this great I can only imagine how great their VBCs sound (I'm going to pay the extra $50 for the VBC). So for $200 I'm going to get 7 (8 if you count the free revival plugin) great sounding, low cpu draining plugins. When could you ever get those many great sounding RE's (that don't also drain your cpu) for $200.
I still love Reason but I've decided I'm not going to mix songs within Reason anymore. Reason has no internal RE delay compensation and allot of REs drain the cpu. Too bad I can't get a VST of the RA-2A and TSAR-1 for a discounted price even though I bought those REs (too bad I can't sell my RE licenses either).
http://www.slatedigital.com/vmrspecialo ... ck%20Offer
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1006
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

Cool. VMR is incredible, although oddly, i am not a fan of the freebie portion that everyone raves about, the saturator/sparkler...

But the comp is CRAZY good. Wrote a mini review at KVR as i was literally floored by the quality. so i can get VBC for just 50 extra? that's wicked.


User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1285
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

I was going to demo FG-X but it looks like even for the demo, you need to have one of those security dongle things, which cost about $85 in NZ. 

So I'll stick with Ozone RE!

(Real issue with my mastering though is generally my mixing!!) :)

Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
djfm1983
Posts: 87
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

During Christmas week there was a sale for the RC VCC for $29 with a free ilok so I picked one up that way. I later upgraded my RC VCC to the full VCC for $49, which in turn save me some money both on the VCC and an ilok. raymondh there is a deal that includeds an ilok, believe me when I say Slate Digital plugins are worth every dollar you'll spend. I have never heard anything that sound nearly as good in a RE. 
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1006
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote:I was going to demo FG-X but it looks like even for the demo, you need to have one of those security dongle things, which cost about $85 in NZ. 

So I'll stick with Ozone RE!

(Real issue with my mastering though is generally my mixing!!) :)
if i may interject, slate does refund you the cost of the ilok afaik if you decide to go for his plugs.

Not being in any way an elitist here, but once you have the ilok, you will open up a world of truly amazing plugins to yourself.

For those into vst/au/aax, i truly believe that some of the finest offerings are available that use that protection format. Softube, Slate, AudioEase, Uvi, Lexicon, MCDSP, to name just a few!!

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1006
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

djfm1983 wrote:During Christmas week there was a sale for the RC VCC for $29 with a free ilok so I picked one up that way. I later upgraded my RC VCC to the full VCC for $49, which in turn save me some money both on the VCC and an ilok. raymondh there is a deal that includeds an ilok, believe me when I say Slate Digital plugins are worth every dollar you'll spend. I have never heard anything that sound nearly as good in a RE. 
Interesting you say this.. I did once start a topic once about slate like analog emus in reason, and there was some interest, but not a massive amount. I am in agreement with you for sure. We have some truly incredible, unique and innovative RE's, but i still feel we are behind in the tape/tube/console department.


User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8312
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

I agree and was very excited about possible tape emulators coming to Reason. I would STILL love someone like Slate or Dave Hill to team up with the Props to add saturation to the mixer channels as an options. It's proven to be a fantastic way for me to work in Pro Tools with HEAT, even though I was initially quite skeptical about that approach.

Second choice would be an RE from a leader in the field, but with a Reason-centric twist: 24 channels of I/O so we could build our own multitrack tape machine. Now all Reason needs is a way to insert such a device between audio channels and their sequencer tracks.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1285
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote:I was going to demo FG-X but it looks like even for the demo, you need to have one of those security dongle things, which cost about $85 in NZ. 

So I'll stick with Ozone RE!

(Real issue with my mastering though is generally my mixing!!) :)
Bavanity wrote:
if i may interject, slate does refund you the cost of the ilok afaik if you decide to go for his plugs.

Not being in any way an elitist here, but once you have the ilok, you will open up a world of truly amazing plugins to yourself.

For those into vst/au/aax, i truly believe that some of the finest offerings are available that use that protection format. Softube, Slate, AudioEase, Uvi, Lexicon, MCDSP, to name just a few!!
\

thanks - I didn't know this.  I might explore a bit further!

cheers


Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
Carnstein
Posts: 28
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Ugh such a good deal wish I didn't have bills to pay or I would jump on VMR.

When you checkout though one of the options is usually to order a digital download with a free ilok 2 so those that are worried about the dongle should definitely go for it because afaik Slate is the only company that just gives you a free one (I almost wonder how they make money on their sales!). 
Hello!

Flandersh
Posts: 124
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Norway

Post 17 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:
Not being in any way an elitist here, but once you have the ilok, you will open up a world of truly amazing plugins to yourself.
Agree. Of all my 4 dongles, the iLok is the most stable and best solution I have used for software. And there really is a good deal of high quality software requiring it.

User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1006
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

selig wrote:I agree and was very excited about possible tape emulators coming to Reason. I would STILL love someone like Slate or Dave Hill to team up with the Props to add saturation to the mixer channels as an options. It's proven to be a fantastic way for me to work in Pro Tools with HEAT, even though I was initially quite skeptical about that approach.

Second choice would be an RE from a leader in the field, but with a Reason-centric twist: 24 channels of I/O so we could build our own multitrack tape machine. Now all Reason needs is a way to insert such a device between audio channels and their sequencer tracks.
:)
or of course you could just make kick ass RE's for Analog Warmth emus under the Selig brand :)

I think you know this but will do a quick recap for all those reading.

My benchmarks i'd like to see equivalents of in Reason.

1) Console - Satson or Slate
2) Tape - Slate or Waves believe it or not
3) Distortion - Soundtoys Decapitator/UA Culture vulture
4) General Saturation - Soundtoys Radiator




User avatar
Theo.M
Posts: 1006
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:
Not being in any way an elitist here, but once you have the ilok, you will open up a world of truly amazing plugins to yourself.
Flandersh wrote:
Agree. Of all my 4 dongles, the iLok is the most stable and best solution I have used for software. And there really is a good deal of high quality software requiring it.
Yeah, they did have some issues with their server for 2 weeks 2 years ago when they migrated to their new authorisation manager, but unlike props with the authoriser, it has not missed a beat since they fixed it all and optimised it. Also many many years ago (early millennium) they BSOD'd windows machines (TPKD.sys is the ilok/pace driver and could conflict with an audio driver or other non ilok plugin), but once again for more than ten years now the drivers have been basically brilliant.

Unfortunately and especially at KVR where the place is extremely anti dongle *anything*, they are holding grudges from the past and ruin any plugin topic, if it uses ilok, till all the info about the product itself is lost in jibberish talk. A real shame.
Gearslutz is different cause they have tons of PT users which requires ilok :)

The other good thing about Ilok(2) is it has not been cracked ever.. like Reason since V6 I believe.. so the codemeter obviously does work really well too (but the ilok reliability and driver is better).

Some people are just so stubborn they miss out on some of the best plugins because of Ilok.. i say use whatever you like the sound of best and get over the dongle lol!



User avatar
dconana
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Funnily enough I emailed Slate Digital today to see if they would make Rack Extensions, I'm not holding my breath as they have got a lot going on right now, I guess I was caught up in the wave of optimism from the new forum :)

I've got all the Slate stuff except for VMR, and as I don't mix outside of Reason I can't really justify purchasing it right now, but thanks for the heads up on the sale. I do have the free Revival module though which I really like, I've even bothered to bounce out the occasional track and use it.



User avatar
djfm1983
Posts: 87
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

I can only imagine how long it'll be till Reason gets some sort of analog saturation, tube emulation or virtual console emulation from a well respected developer. I'm not sticking around to find out. Gonna move on to mixing out side of Reason.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

The Tone Ranger
Posts: 139
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jan 2015

I like VCC and VTM but haven't been using them much recently. Bouncing stuff from Reason and loading it into Pro Tools is too time consuming.

User avatar
djfm1983
Posts: 87
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jan 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:I like VCC and VTM but haven't been using them much recently. Bouncing stuff from Reason and loading it into Pro Tools is too time consuming.
I myself have been getting a rough mix together in Reason (without any EQ or compression) then I just bounce everything out using the bounce stems option. I love that about Reason, I just click which channels I want to bounce out and everything bounces out at once into a new folder. I think it's also better to bounce out stems because it'll help with lowering the CPU processing needed to run any instruments in Reason.The only things that can be time consuming for me is manually having to cut any dead space from individual audio tracks once I load then into Abelton Live 9. At least you can use silence strip within Pro Tools to clean up all your stems. It is a time consuming process editing audio, naming channels again, color coding everything but well worth it in the end for me (because The quality of the VCC, VMR and VBC are amazing!). In real studios there's usually a mixing assistant who takes care of all the time consuming edits and labeling so the mixing engineer can focus on mixing from the start. I really wish I had one of those.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest