STREAM DECK XL – Control Reason with Keyboard Maestro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2024

I used the mini app on my phone before I got the SD mk2 (15 buttons) I loved it but didn’t love having to have my phone screen on all the time. Might be different with an ipad though! It sure is a nice gateway into the sd, and if my old phone worked at all I would use it for extra functionality in addition to my SD. More buttons is always nice to have, plus you can have different profiles on each device so when you do get your physical one you can plan your profiles according to your needs with the additional buttons on the iPad to do different functions than on your SD

joeyluck

09 Sep 2024

Yeah one of the bonuses about the app is even more buttons, if you want. And you can run multiples of the app in split view and each instance can be directed towards a different computer/app I believe.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2024

joeyluck wrote:
09 Sep 2024
Yeah one of the bonuses about the app is even more buttons, if you want. And you can run multiples of the app in split view and each instance can be directed towards a different computer/app I believe.
Multiple instances I didn’t know.

More buttons? The paid version has like 64 right?

joeyluck

09 Sep 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Sep 2024
joeyluck wrote:
09 Sep 2024

Yeah 64, so twice as much as an XL. But note sure I would do that on an iPad Mini or need that many buttons at once on screen though. But it can also be a custom number.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2024

joeyluck wrote:
09 Sep 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Sep 2024

Yeah 64, so twice as much as an XL. But note sure I would do that on an iPad Mini or need that many buttons at once on screen though. But it can also be a custom number.
Sounds great.

I do fine with 15 on the mk2. With profiles, pages, folders, there are no limits, with a bit of planning, mind you.

wendylou

09 Sep 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Sep 2024
joeyluck wrote:
09 Sep 2024

Sounds great.

I do fine with 15 on the mk2. With profiles, pages, folders, there are no limits, with a bit of planning, mind you.
Very true! I use 11 interconnected, multi-page Profiles with my Reason KB Edition, and much of it is organized just like the Reason Menu structure with plenty of room for user-defined buttons.

@joeyluck I too initially wished they would release a 32-button version with rotaries added, but from the response I got from Elgato, it didn't sound like they were planning on making it. So I added a Nektar P1 control surface with 9 sliders and plenty of rotaries, which is tightly integrated with Reason and most devices out of the box. So between the Stream Deck XL and the P1, I'm covered! I find I still reach for the mouse to move sliders or knobs out of habit, lol! :puf_smile: But the Stream Deck I use constantly and it's a real time-saver.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

PhillipOrdonez

12 Sep 2024

Well Joey, sounds like Elgato heard your prayers:

Stream deck studio
899 buckaronis
https://www.elgato.com/eu/en/p/stream-d ... qbg8pvm81b

😂

joeyluck

12 Sep 2024

Haha yeah not that though! 😂

I've actually been looking again at TouchOSC. I have Mk1 and haven't used it in a bit. You don't get the tactile control, but you can combine MIDI controls with keypress buttons. Apparently though, the newer version has removed keypress support, although supposedly you can script it using OSC...

wendylou

14 Sep 2024

joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2024

I've actually been looking again at TouchOSC. I have Mk1 and haven't used it in a bit. You don't get the tactile control, but you can combine MIDI controls with keypress buttons. Apparently though, the newer version has removed keypress support, although supposedly you can script it using OSC...
Would buying a Stream Deck XL (32 buttons) plus two Stream Deck + (4 rotaries/4 buttons) meet your needs?

BTW, the free Stream Deck "MIDI" plugin by Trevliga Spel has recently been revised with very powerful features for the rotaries and MIDI capabilities.

joeyluck

14 Sep 2024

wendylou wrote:
14 Sep 2024
joeyluck wrote:
12 Sep 2024

Would buying a Stream Deck XL (32 buttons) plus two Stream Deck + (4 rotaries/4 buttons) meet your needs?

BTW, the free Stream Deck "MIDI" plugin by Trevliga Spel has recently been revised with very powerful features for the rotaries and MIDI capabilities.
Perhaps! I did see some stands on etsy that combined a few different Stream Decks, like this one...

https://v.etsystatic.com/video/upload/a ... hj2auj.mp4

Maybe this is what I really want :D

wendylou

15 Sep 2024

joeyluck wrote:
14 Sep 2024
wendylou wrote:
14 Sep 2024

Perhaps! I did see some stands on etsy that combined a few different Stream Decks, like this one...

https://v.etsystatic.com/video/upload/a ... hj2auj.mp4

Maybe this is what I really want :D

Well my solution is perhaps not as elegant, as its two devices, but this covers all the bases for me in Reason :puf_smile:

IMG_3295.jpeg
IMG_3295.jpeg (260.86 KiB) Viewed 667 times

• Information