Thinking to use logic pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gritz

17 Apr 2022

Hi all have used reason since reason 4 and never used another daw apart from sonar back in the day - thinking of moving over to Logic Pro as more people I speak with use it and swear by it , so curious how u found the transition to a different daw - is it better - I was told it’s industry standard other than pro tools and more geared to non electronic dance music - also do you use both reason and logic together.

Is logic better for mixing remixing mastering ?

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2022

I started out with Cubase, so it's easy for me to transition. But they're all pretty much the same.

It's all just timelines and VST plugins, right?

And no, none of them are more or less geared towards any type of music.

It's just a timeline and VSTs.

Back in the day, Reason offered something for EDM music that you just didn't have anywhere else. But that didn't mean it was any less suitable for hip-hop (except you would have trouble with recorded instruments, of course).

Anyway, you choose the DAW that works with you best. It could be Logic Pro, Studio One or Bitwig.

"Industry standard" is not a measure of quality or suitability. ProTools became an "industry standard" by being first to market with a hardware-accelerated DAW at a time when consumer CPUs were only capable of about 20 million instructions per second. Inertia carried that for the next 2 decades (because anyone with a ProTools setup was already deeply invested, plus it meant they had ProTools ... basically self-perpetuating itself as an industry standard).

You can use Reason as a VST plugin now, so yes, they can be used together.

You'll be using VSTs for mixing, remixing and mastering, right? If so, they won't make the slightest bit of difference.

What's better is whatever you work with best.

huggermugger

17 Apr 2022

I've been using Reason and Logic for decades. Can't speak to the ease of transitioning from Reason to Logic, but I would say they complement each other nicely. The RRP plays very nice with Logic, and between them, they cover all the bases (except high-end audio post production, which is still ProTools' domain).

Logic's workflow is way more thorough than Reason. The key commands feature alone is monster. Logic has many excellent stock instruments and effects, important features like markers, track folders, video compatibility, track freeze, track hide, list edit, score edit, record capture, various punch-in options, undo history, etc, etc. Logic is also extremely stable because it's written by the same developer who writes the operating system. And the price is right.

gritz

17 Apr 2022

Thanks guys for your input - maybe it’s because I’m at a bit of a creative stall point to was wondering ti see learning a new daw would fire my brain a bit - also been working with a producer who swears logic is the true direction to improve my music quality - literally everything I give him he wants tp change e.g I supplied reason drums for a track oh not good enough quality he will use his own I used konkakt strum guitars or electric guitars oh they need to be real piano I use oh not good enough quality

Hoboys

17 Apr 2022

let's hear his music, then :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2022

gritz wrote:
17 Apr 2022
Thanks guys for your input - maybe it’s because I’m at a bit of a creative stall point to was wondering ti see learning a new daw would fire my brain a bit - also been working with a producer who swears logic is the true direction to improve my music quality - literally everything I give him he wants tp change e.g I supplied reason drums for a track oh not good enough quality he will use his own I used konkakt strum guitars or electric guitars oh they need to be real piano I use oh not good enough quality
Erm, ... right ... so it goes like this.

You can still make hits with a 20-year-old Roland Fantom (and expansion boards, of course).

While their patches don't come close to the realism of scripted Kontakt patches, they are more than capable of powering a modern hit.

All the things he hints you shouldn't use are being used by professionals today to create hit tracks.

However, the timbre of the Reason patches might not match current trends.

It's all trends.

Even the way violins are played (bow closer to the bridge or neck, ... pressure, speed, etc.) and mic'd.

The differences in recording permeate your libraries.

Ever wondered why Sonic Reality's 30GB+ Refill doesn't match up the Korg Triton's 32MB ROM banks?

This had bugged me for many years.

I knew the Sonic Reality recordings were stellar, and yet they just didn't sound as "hot" as the Korg Triton.

It took me a long time to figure that one out.

I had a bit of an incline back then but it wasn't until 15 years later that I was able to confirm my suspicions.

Someone on the PUF remarked that actually, the Sonic Reality Refill was light years ahead of the Korg Triton. And he was right. And it took me 15 years to resolve the conflict between what I knew was true and what seemed to be true about the Triton's superiority over it.

The Triton isn't better. It's just a different sound that appeals to a different lineage of trends.

Anyway, it's all trends - mostly effects, EQ and distortion. It's not like we've invented new instruments or entirely new methods of synthesis. You can take the more plain Sonic Reality recordings and colour them to your liking. It has pretty much everything you need.

And while I have the full NI package, my core sound centres around the Triton (or Xpand!2, which has a very similar style and is a little better designed for usage in DAWs).

But sure, if Logic Pro works better for you then use it. But don't use it because you think it will give you better sounds, because you'll gain a lot less from that perspective. I like Logic Pro's sounds BTW. They're a great match for my style, but when you've dedicated enough time to learning your craft, you'll find yourself able to create your sound with near enough any set of tools.

gullum

17 Apr 2022

gritz wrote:
17 Apr 2022
oh not good enough quality
Sound more like you friend does not know have to mix sound and most likely he presumes that because his sample are louder they are better quality. People that don't know what they are doing think that loud is better than balanced sound/mix.
Put this is all guessing though.

unclenofun

19 Aug 2022

hey guys! jumping in here cos I'm thinking of doing the same...kinda

got a collab coming up and I was thinking (to make it easier) I could use Logic Pro (as that is what he uses) to finish off some tunes....and possibly use the RRP too

I'm hearing some conflicting info about Logic Pros 'update' system....some people are telling me it's free updates for life but, from what I can gather on searches, is that it is free updates but only the 'point' releases....and they have been on 10 for quite a few years....major upgrades are paid. like going from 9 to 10/X (although you may get a discount if you own a previous version)

can anyone here clarify which one it is? like if I bought it now....would 11 (if that comes out) be free? or would that be a paid upgrade? like Reason is/has always been?

huggermugger

19 Aug 2022

unclenofun wrote:
19 Aug 2022

I'm hearing some conflicting info about Logic Pros 'update' system....some people are telling me it's free updates for life but, from what I can gather on searches, is that it is free updates but only the 'point' releases....and they have been on 10 for quite a few years....major upgrades are paid. like going from 9 to 10/X (although you may get a discount if you own a previous version)
Like many programs (Reason included), Logic's point updates are free. And like many programs (Reason included) major upgrades are not. And there's no discount for current owners. The way it works with the App Store is that when you upgrade, you basically buy the program again, at its current price - there's no "upgrade fee". Whether or not you already own Logic, you'll pay the same price.

unclenofun

19 Aug 2022

thank you...I thought that was the case (as it usually is!) but there are some insistant people online that are adamant that it's free for life!

I've been a reason user for a long time so had to double check as I've never even looked at Logic before

thanks for clarifying!

Jac459

19 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
17 Apr 2022

Erm, ... right ... so it goes like this.

You can still make hits with a 20-year-old Roland Fantom (and expansion boards, of course).

While their patches don't come close to the realism of scripted Kontakt patches, they are more than capable of powering a modern hit.

All the things he hints you shouldn't use are being used by professionals today to create hit tracks.

However, the timbre of the Reason patches might not match current trends.

It's all trends.

Even the way violins are played (bow closer to the bridge or neck, ... pressure, speed, etc.) and mic'd.

The differences in recording permeate your libraries.

Ever wondered why Sonic Reality's 30GB+ Refill doesn't match up the Korg Triton's 32MB ROM banks?

This had bugged me for many years.

I knew the Sonic Reality recordings were stellar, and yet they just didn't sound as "hot" as the Korg Triton.

It took me a long time to figure that one out.

I had a bit of an incline back then but it wasn't until 15 years later that I was able to confirm my suspicions.

Someone on the PUF remarked that actually, the Sonic Reality Refill was light years ahead of the Korg Triton. And he was right. And it took me 15 years to resolve the conflict between what I knew was true and what seemed to be true about the Triton's superiority over it.

The Triton isn't better. It's just a different sound that appeals to a different lineage of trends.

Anyway, it's all trends - mostly effects, EQ and distortion. It's not like we've invented new instruments or entirely new methods of synthesis. You can take the more plain Sonic Reality recordings and colour them to your liking. It has pretty much everything you need.

And while I have the full NI package, my core sound centres around the Triton (or Xpand!2, which has a very similar style and is a little better designed for usage in DAWs).

But sure, if Logic Pro works better for you then use it. But don't use it because you think it will give you better sounds, because you'll gain a lot less from that perspective. I like Logic Pro's sounds BTW. They're a great match for my style, but when you've dedicated enough time to learning your craft, you'll find yourself able to create your sound with near enough any set of tools.
I use reason as plugin to bitwig (I love bitwig) along with a lots of big names synths like serum, vital, pigments, predator 3 or novum. One thing I don't doubt is the quality of reason synths. They are absolutely premium in my view..
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

QVprod

19 Aug 2022

unclenofun wrote:
19 Aug 2022
thank you...I thought that was the case (as it usually is!) but there are some insistant people online that are adamant that it's free for life!

I've been a reason user for a long time so had to double check as I've never even looked at Logic before

thanks for clarifying!
Logic has been on version X for just short of a decade now. It’s understandable for someone to say updates are “free for life”. They haven’t paid for an upgrade in almost 10 years.

integerpoet

19 Aug 2022

avasopht wrote:
17 Apr 2022
ProTools became an "industry standard" by being first to market with a hardware-accelerated DAW at a time when consumer CPUs were only capable of about 20 million instructions per second. Inertia carried that for the next 2 decades (because anyone with a ProTools setup was already deeply invested, plus it meant they had ProTools ... basically self-perpetuating itself as an industry standard).
Its file formats are also a moat in collaborative niches such as film and television.

By which I mean: it isn't just inertia; it's also network effect.
Last edited by integerpoet on 19 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

integerpoet

19 Aug 2022

It seems to me a lot of this "use any DAW you like" advice applies to independent hobbyists and artists, which is probably fine for most people on this forum (including me).

But there are reasons to choose an "industry standard" DAW if your goal is a steady source of income i.e. working for other people. I guess the good news here is that if you're doing that you can buy multiple DAWs and write them all off as a business expense. :puf_smile:

Even if you are not a pro, there are probably reasons to choose a DAW other than that you like it. For example, I am not a fan of Ableton Live itself, but if I wanted to join a vast online community and drown in unofficial instructional videos then I might use it anyway. In fact, it seems to me that Live is the "industry standard" for purveyors of production advice/tips/tricks in the sense that many don't even pause to mention which DAW they have on the screen.

Jac459

19 Aug 2022

integerpoet wrote:
19 Aug 2022
It seems to me a lot of this "use any DAW you like" advice applies to independent hobbyists and artists, which is probably fine for most people on this forum (including me).

But there are reasons to choose an "industry standard" DAW if your goal is a steady source of income i.e. working for other people. I guess the good news here is that if you're doing that you can buy multiple DAWs and write them all off as a business expense. :puf_smile:

Even if you are not a pro, there are probably reasons to choose a DAW other than that you like it. For example, I am not a fan of Ableton Live itself, but if I wanted to join a vast online community and drown in unofficial instructional videos then I might use it anyway. In fact, it seems to me that Live is the "industry standard" for purveyors of production advice/tips/tricks in the sense that many don't even pause to mention which DAW they have on the screen.
I agree with you, on that matter
Yet, it is funny to see that some of the most successful YouTuber/musicians are in fact not using ableton but bitwig. Venus Theory for example, or Dash Glitsch, or on a lesser extent Polarity and XNB (i use a lot these kind of channels to learn new techniques).
By the way if you don't know venus theory, I really encourage you to watch, the content is really premium and he is a biwig + RRP users.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

carvingcode

19 Aug 2022

integerpoet wrote:
19 Aug 2022
For example, I am not a fan of Ableton Live itself, but if I wanted to join a vast online community and drown in unofficial instructional videos then I might use it anyway.
Just wanted to acknowledge a snicker on this end when I read the above.

integerpoet

20 Aug 2022

carvingcode wrote:
19 Aug 2022
integerpoet wrote:
19 Aug 2022
For example, I am not a fan of Ableton Live itself, but if I wanted to join a vast online community and drown in unofficial instructional videos then I might use it anyway.
Just wanted to acknowledge a snicker on this end when I read the above.
FWIW, I was both serious and joking at the same time. In other words, I am the Queen of ReasonTalk.

QVprod

20 Aug 2022

integerpoet wrote:
19 Aug 2022

But there are reasons to choose an "industry standard" DAW if your goal is a steady source of income i.e. working for other people.
Only really Pro Tools if you’re running a recording studio, and even then, it’s only really needed for clientele that record at multiple studios. Everything else is fairly easy to export stems whereas Pro Tools makes that a chore to do.

integerpoet

20 Aug 2022

QVprod wrote:
20 Aug 2022
integerpoet wrote:
19 Aug 2022
But there are reasons to choose an "industry standard" DAW if your goal is a steady source of income i.e. working for other people.
Only really Pro Tools if you’re running a recording studio, and even then, it’s only really needed for clientele that record at multiple studios. Everything else is fairly easy to export stems whereas Pro Tools makes that a chore to do.
I didn't know that last bit, but my guess is that it's probably not a coincidence. :puf_smile:

But it isn't just recording studios; there are lots of folks in film and video production cranking out underscore using those monster orchestral packages that most people on this forum don't pay much mind. A lot of that work gets done in Pro Tools because the gigs are volatile and involve lots of people and it's not worth the risk of missing one because the sound supervisor leans on the Pro Tools "network effect" which may not be justified by anything technical but nevertheless exists.

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2022

gritz wrote:
17 Apr 2022
Hi all have used reason since reason 4 and never used another daw apart from sonar back in the day - thinking of moving over to Logic Pro as more people I speak with use it and swear by it , so curious how u found the transition to a different daw - is it better - I was told it’s industry standard other than pro tools and more geared to non electronic dance music - also do you use both reason and logic together.

Is logic better for mixing remixing mastering ?
I would say nether logic nor are better for mixing/remixing/mastering. They both started as MIDI based workstations, and have ‘evolved’ to include audio. This can have the effect of audio being a bit of an ‘after thought’ in both cases IMO.
I find logic to be a little ‘illogical’ in many ways especially as it concerns audio, but I come from an audio engineering background. So despite running home studios on a tiny budget most of my adult life, I ALSO have ‘pro studio’ experience to factor into the equation.

I have long found Reason (and Logic) to be better song starters than song finishers, at least according to my expectations. And I feel FAR more inspired in Reason than in Logic. Despite having both at my disposal for the past 10 years, I’ve made all of ONE song in Logic over the years. I also did one song which required video, but this was when I was able to rewire to Reason so Logic was mainly for video sync (the song was mixed in Pro Tools).

While I can never give up Reason due to my huge investment in my personal sound/sample library and general inspiration factor, I’m seriously looking at a few other options including one un-expected “free” option. And for the first time I’m getting hands on with the Reason plugin and devising a workflow for transitioning Reason songs. More on this later… ;)

I think it will come down to this: which DAW makes the most sense to YOU. We each have different needs and different expectations, let alone different workflows and ideas of how music should be ‘made’. So a DAW that is ‘ideal’ for one person may be unacceptable for another. I can only suggest doing what I’ve done, which is to watch a ton of videos showing various DAWs in action, and ask specific questions about each from there - good luck!
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

20 Aug 2022

integerpoet wrote:
20 Aug 2022
QVprod wrote:
20 Aug 2022

I didn't know that last bit, but my guess is that it's probably not a coincidence. :puf_smile:

But it isn't just recording studios; there are lots of folks in film and video production cranking out underscore using those monster orchestral packages that most people on this forum don't pay much mind. A lot of that work gets done in Pro Tools because the gigs are volatile and involve lots of people and it's not worth the risk of missing one because the sound supervisor leans on the Pro Tools "network effect" which may not be justified by anything technical but nevertheless exists.
I was thinking more so music recording than post production workflows. I see film composers using Cubase more than Pro Tools so that didn’t cross my mind. But yeah anything in the ‘professional’ world where you need to share project files.

Jac459

20 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
20 Aug 2022

I would say nether logic nor are better for mixing/remixing/mastering. They both started as MIDI based workstations, and have ‘evolved’ to include audio. This can have the effect of audio being a bit of an ‘after thought’ in both cases IMO.
I find logic to be a little ‘illogical’ in many ways especially as it concerns audio, but I come from an audio engineering background. So despite running home studios on a tiny budget most of my adult life, I ALSO have ‘pro studio’ experience to factor into the equation.

I have long found Reason (and Logic) to be better song starters than song finishers, at least according to my expectations. And I feel FAR more inspired in Reason than in Logic. Despite having both at my disposal for the past 10 years, I’ve made all of ONE song in Logic over the years. I also did one song which required video, but this was when I was able to rewire to Reason so Logic was mainly for video sync (the song was mixed in Pro Tools).

While I can never give up Reason due to my huge investment in my personal sound/sample library and general inspiration factor, I’m seriously looking at a few other options including one un-expected “free” option. And for the first time I’m getting hands on with the Reason plugin and devising a workflow for transitioning Reason songs. More on this later… ;)

I think it will come down to this: which DAW makes the most sense to YOU. We each have different needs and different expectations, let alone different workflows and ideas of how music should be ‘made’. So a DAW that is ‘ideal’ for one person may be unacceptable for another. I can only suggest doing what I’ve done, which is to watch a ton of videos showing various DAWs in action, and ask specific questions about each from there - good luck!
Hey Selig, give a go to bitwig, it has a continuity of logic with reason and its awesome.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

crimsonwarlock

21 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
20 Aug 2022
I’m seriously looking at a few other options including one un-expected “free” option.
I think I know which one that free one is, as there is one free option that isn't mentioned a lot (or at all) :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

21 Aug 2022

Jac459 wrote:
20 Aug 2022
Hey Selig, give a go to bitwig, it has a continuity of logic with reason and its awesome.
Thing is I don’t need a replacement for Reason, I need a better audio editing/mixing environment than Reason is able to provide. Which is why Logic doesn’t work for me either. Bottom line: I don’t need another “music creation” system (Reason is doing just fine there), I need an audio editing/mixing system!
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

21 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
21 Aug 2022
I need an audio editing/mixing system!
Audacity :shock:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information