Nektar or another controller?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Maxim

Post 06 Aug 2022

Hi. I wanted to ask some help for deciding which controller I should buy. Everywhere Nektar is being lauded as the first option among midi controllers when it comes to Reason. And I have been thinking about buying the Nektar Panorama P4. But before I go ahead with this purchase, I still wanted to ask for opinions from those of you who have more experience on this matter.

So far I have been using M-audio Oxygen 49 but I notice it has become insufficient in terms of not having enough knobs etc. and also I find the integration with Reason being very poor to my current needs.

Here is how I work in Reason: the instruments and effects which I use are 99% third-party plugins (Serum, Omnisphere, Soundtoys, Fabfilter etc.) but I usually like to put them all in a combinator. In mixing I use the Reason mixer. What I really want to get is that "hardware feel" such that I have to use the mouse as little as possible when synthesizing sounds, tweaking effects or mixing.

I'm happy to receive any opinions on this matter. Thanks!

QVprod

Post 06 Aug 2022

I’ll give you a fully honest take. No controller is going completely satisfy you for a “hardware feel” The Nektar Panorama P is the best available for overall control in Reason but since you’re mostly using 3rd party VST instruments, you won’t get much control of many of those out the box. There’s is a thread on here where people submit mappings if you’re fine with editing remote files. However controlling devices that are mapped required a lot of menu diving for different sections of the device. Combinator 2 is broken as far as control right now. First 4 knobs and buttons only (like the old combinator). If your plugins are NKS compatible you may get more value here out of a Komplete Kontrol S keyboard.

As far as DAW control, the Panorama shines here. Nothing else integrates with Reason’s mixer as well as it does.

gkillmaster

Post 06 Aug 2022

I was looking in a way for several years and once I got the P1, I've stopped looking. For me, its the perfect solution for the price, especially being able to also use Nektarine with it.

Maxim

Post 07 Aug 2022

Thanks! Appreciate the help.

joeyluck

Post 07 Aug 2022

This had just popped up in my news feed:
https://keyboardkraze.com/best-midi-key ... or-reason/

It mentioned Nektar and the T series, which I wasn't familiar with. I haven't used any Nektar keyboards.

MrFigg

Post 07 Aug 2022

joeyluck wrote:
07 Aug 2022
This had just popped up in my news feed:
https://keyboardkraze.com/best-midi-key ... or-reason/

It mentioned Nektar and the T series, which I wasn't familiar with. I haven't used any Nektar keyboards.
Yeah, I’ve got a T4. It’s good.
丰2ॐ

• Information