90 Day Ableton Trial - Whilst in Lockdown

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
craste

02 Apr 2020

Thought I'd take advantage of the above trial whilst in lockdown.

Can somebdy explaing how you transfer the drum pattern midi notes from the Drum Secuencer (on top of a kong in my instance) to Ableton.

Can anybody offer up any help please?

Jackjackdaw

02 Apr 2020

Probably the easiest way is with Rewire (I have achieved Midi out from Players to Cubase, haven't tried it in Live), or with the midi out in the Rack plugin if you have 11.

Other wise you can record your midi to the Reason sequencer and export midi then import it to Ableton. Reason exports midi for the whole project though not just the clip.

craste

02 Apr 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Probably the easiest way is with Rewire (I have achieved Midi out from Players to Cubase, haven't tried it in Live), or with the midi out in the Rack plugin if you have 11.

Other wise you can record your midi to the Reason sequencer and export midi then import it to Ableton. Reason exports midi for the whole project though not just the clip.
Yes I have a Reason 11 I’m trying to import the Reason drum sequencers players midi data into Ableton via the Reason Rack VST.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Apr 2020

craste wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Apr 2020

Yes I have a Reason 11 I’m trying to import the Reason drum sequencers players midi data into Ableton via the Reason Rack VST.
You need to use the midi out device under the player you want to use the midi out from.

On another midi track you want to set the default (all ins) to (Reason rack plugin that has the player) and the default (all channels) to Reason rack plugin. If don't see these options, you need to click a little M circle to the right of the master channel on the sequencer view.

Once you've done that, you need to select the "in" button so it looks blue, and voila, the channel receives midi from the player.

craste

03 Apr 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Apr 2020
craste wrote:
02 Apr 2020

You need to use the midi out device under the player you want to use the midi out from.

On another midi track you want to set the default (all ins) to (Reason rack plugin that has the player) and the default (all channels) to Reason rack plugin. If don't see these options, you need to click a little M circle to the right of the master channel on the sequencer view.

Once you've done that, you need to select the "in" button so it looks blue, and voila, the channel receives midi from the player.
Thank you so much Phillip, as soon as I can kick the daughter off the pc (playing Fortnight). I’ll give this a go!

Am I being stupid here though, could I load the drum rack in Ableton and use the Reason Drum sequencer to control that instead of loading the drum samples into Kong?

PhillipOrdonez

03 Apr 2020

craste wrote:
03 Apr 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Apr 2020

Thank you so much Phillip, as soon as I can kick the daughter off the pc (playing Fortnight). I’ll give this a go!

Am I being stupid here though, could I load the drum rack in Ableton and use the Reason Drum sequencer to control that instead of loading the drum samples into Kong?
Yes you could. Do as I told and you will.

TrevaRanks

03 Apr 2020

The Send to Track button won't be available on the rack plugin so you'll need to record the midi data into a clip or into the arrangement view

craste

04 Apr 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Apr 2020
craste wrote:
03 Apr 2020

Thank you Phillip - I'm up and running now!

PhillipOrdonez

04 Apr 2020

craste wrote:
04 Apr 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Apr 2020

Thank you Phillip - I'm up and running now!
Awesome!

• Information