Studio One 4.6

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
dezma

04 Dec 2019

From gearslutz

4.6 New Features will be:
-Updated browser UI with the New Gallery view.
-Can now convert instrument parts- patterns
-PreSonus Exchange interface updated
-Support for tied notes & patterns.
-Improved tempo-matching.

-New Podcast Production Template/ Macro page.
-New plugin: Pedal Board.
-Updated Ampire.
-State Space Modelling amp and FX
-dynamic moving image - as opposed to snapshots.
Load your own IRs.

Kalm

05 Dec 2019

Wondering when a new update was coming
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

m.arthur

05 Dec 2019

This is what I was waiting for! The previously almost-fantastic pattern editor will now be Truly Fantastic. Quite happy about this :)

Jmax

05 Dec 2019

m.arthur wrote:
05 Dec 2019

This is what I was waiting for! The previously almost-fantastic pattern editor will now be Truly Fantastic. Quite happy about this :)
What are tied notes and patterns?

I know what the patterns are..

m.arthur

05 Dec 2019

Jmax wrote:
05 Dec 2019
m.arthur wrote:
05 Dec 2019

I'm assuming the release note, as quoted from GS, got botched somewhere along the line and what it should say is: "Tied notes in patterns" (that is: in, not and).

So if you know how most classic step sequencers work (think 303, etc) this means you'll be able to input Tied notes inside the patterns. People (including myself) were frustrated that Presonus built the entire pattern system into S4 and did a mostly great job of it (the drum patterns are fantastic) but the instrument patterns lacked note ties. This meant 1. no glides were possible and 2. all note lengths had to be equal to the grid step. Meaning, your pattern could only have 16ths notes, or only 8ths notes, etc -- which is, of course, incredibly limiting. Now, like with many other step sequencers out there, it should be possible (with this upcoming update) to Tie notes so their duration continues through subsequent steps, or to program a glide.

Jmax

05 Dec 2019

m.arthur wrote:
05 Dec 2019
Jmax wrote:
05 Dec 2019

I'm assuming the release note, as quoted from GS, got botched somewhere along the line and what it should say is: "Tied notes in patterns" (that is: in, not and).

So if you know how most classic step sequencers work (think 303, etc) this means you'll be able to input Tied notes inside the patterns. People (including myself) were frustrated that Presonus built the entire pattern system into S4 and did a mostly great job of it (the drum patterns are fantastic) but the instrument patterns lacked note ties. This meant 1. no glides were possible and 2. all note lengths had to be equal to the grid step. Meaning, your pattern could only have 16ths notes, or only 8ths notes, etc -- which is, of course, incredibly limiting. Now, like with many other step sequencers out there, it should be possible (with this upcoming update) to Tie notes so their duration continues through subsequent steps, or to program a glide.

Very cool! thanks for the explanation.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

Even if Studio One has been behind in certain aspects, the 4.5 + 4.6 has an impressive 60 feature upgrades. Big catch up and free for their customers. Kudos to them. This is what I meant with the DAW update war. I wonder how many coders they have vs Reason, and/or it is a productivity issue?

Cubase have had fever updates, but pretty important ones like vocal align and ARA2 support, etc. So fewer, but substantial on their own. And they just sent out a survey asking what features users want.

I understand the frustration among Reason users, we all see this, but get automation curves, but no curve library, and no way to save/import curves from other projects.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

sublunar

15 Dec 2019

Studio One users: When you record audio, does Studio One store the WAV's externally in a predefined folder, or does it store audio inside of the project file, thus increasing project files exponentially like Reason does?

I nearly pulled the trigger on the Studio One sale that was posted on here recently but I wanted to confirm this first and just never got around to it but I'm close to making the jump. I'm a longtime Reason user and I do love Reason but I've been increasingly unimpressed with the last few updates (and some buggy RE's).

dezma

16 Dec 2019

sublunar wrote:
15 Dec 2019
Studio One users: When you record audio, does Studio One store the WAV's externally in a predefined folder, or does it store audio inside of the project file, thus increasing project files exponentially like Reason does?

I nearly pulled the trigger on the Studio One sale that was posted on here recently but I wanted to confirm this first and just never got around to it but I'm close to making the jump. I'm a longtime Reason user and I do love Reason but I've been increasingly unimpressed with the last few updates (and some buggy RE's).
I jumped ship for exactly the same reason, and I'm very happy so far. It's in another league compared to Reason. These are my main motivations:
-track folders
-automation for vst's with a big number of parameters
-previewing wav (drum) loops in sync with your arrangement
-autosaving your files
-much improved piano roll/editor
-midi out for VST

But then you get to dig a little deeper and you also get the brilliant chord and arranger tracks, editing macro's, pattern clips, ARA support

To answer your question:

It stores them in a separate folder
These are the different subfolders under the Songs (I'm only using S1 since a few months, so possibly missing a few)

Bounces: bounce wav files
History: versioning of your autosave/savepoints
Media: wav recordings
Samples: files for your samplers

• Information