Cwejman SM-1

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

15 Nov 2019

Now shipping!

Big City Music has Stock, FYI. Hurry if you want one. Call Roger.
https://www.bigcitymusic.com/products/s ... 2603434077

(I don't know about that KV pre-order)

The Cwejman SM-1 is a semi modular synthesizer voice that can be played instantly via CV/ Gate.

The module contains two oscillators, a multimode filter, VCA and two ADSR loop envelopes and LFOs. All sections can also be used individually thanks to many patch points.

CONNECTORS
Master section inputs: 1v/oct.(Tune), LFO1 rate CV, LFO2 rate CV, Sync
Filter section inputs: Ext. Audio, ext. Cutoff CV, Resonance CV, Spacing CV
Inputs per oscillator: FM1, FM2, PWM, Sync
Inputs per envelope: Gate, Attack CV, Decay CV, Sustain CV, Release CV
VCA section input: Velocity
Outputs: Filter, Voice, LFO1, LFO2, ADSR1, ADSR2
DIMENSIONS
3U Eurorack module, 56 HP wide, 29mm in depth
Power consumption: 150 mA at +12 V and 120 mA at -12 V

The Cwejman SM-1 is a semi modular synthesizer voice that can be played instantly via CV/ Gate.

The module contains two oscillators, a multimode filter, VCA and two ADSR loop envelopes and LFOs. All sections can also be used individually thanks to many patch points.

The master section offers an octave switch with a total of 7 positions. Tracking can be activated separately for each oscillator and for the LFO1 via small switches. In addition, voltage can be smoothed thanks to the glide control. The tracking for the filter cutoff frequency can be variably adjusted thanks to a potentiometer.
The two LFOs each offer seven different waveforms, including a random voltage. The speed is adjusted manually with rotary knobs or via control votlage and indicated by LEDs.

The two oscillators have an identical layout, with individual controls for volume and FM. The Sync switch allows the second VCO to synchronize with the first. The pitch can be adjusted with potentiometers for coarse and fine tuning. Six waveforms are available, including pulse width and PMW modulation. VCO1 also provides noise, and VCO2 can be used as a ring modulator when the waveform selector is set to a specific position, either with the first oscillator or with the external signal. Each VCO provides two FM inputs with dedicated attenuators, and the FM1 modulation can be positive or negative thanks to the switch.

The Multimode Filter is a slimmed down version of the MMF-1S with seven reversible filter types and two selectable slopes for most of them. Combined, this results in eleven different filters:

Low pass with -12 or -24 dB per octave
High pass with -12 or -24 dB per octave
Bandpass with -6 or -12 dB per octave
three dual bandpasses: two peaks, upper peak, lower peak
single notch (in -12 dB position), dual notch (in -24 dB position)

The Res/Osc switch determines whether the resonance begins to oscillate at maximum or not, allowing for a wide range of sounds.
The show stopper is that with the dual filters the distance between the two resonance peaks can be adjusted via the SPACING parameter, which is great for creating vocal sounds! A total of three knobs are available to influence the filter cutoff frequency. Thanks to separate controls, it can be controlled from envelope 1 or 2, either in the positive or negative range. Additionally it can be controlled by VCO1, LFO1, LFO2 or an external control voltage. Thus, very complex modulation can be realized in no time at all.
In addition, the filter offers a saturation stage with two selectable types, which distorts the signal nonlinearly.

There are two identical envelope generators available which can be triggered by a normalized socket from a common signal. Two LEDs indicate the course of each envelope. All parameters (Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release) are voltage controllable. Both envelopes can be switched to Loop mode using individual switches. In addition, the characteristics of the second envelope can be switched from linear to exponential.

O1B

15 Nov 2019

The Module..

Eggshell...

in Green...

O1B

18 Nov 2019

The Green One was just delivered. It's a Cold, Rainy Monday, in NYC, so it got here w/a lil' condensation.... so... i'd better wait a bit.
O1B-SM1-Green1of2x.jpeg
O1B-SM1-Green1of2x.jpeg (574.62 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

"You can get very analogesque sounds from software now".... but, sometimes you want "Analog Sounds."
I hope to build an 8 voicer w independent control of all Parameters... Wish me well!
visheshl wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Yea apart from bragging rights, i don't see any appeal in modulars. You can get very analogesque sounds from software now, it doesn't cost as much, doesn't take up so much space, doesn't require so much set up etc etc...its just " look what i have in my studio...eurorack" thats all there is to it

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2019

O1B wrote:
18 Nov 2019
The Green One was just delivered. It's a Cold, Rainy Monday, in NYC, so it got here w/a lil' condensation.... so... i'd better wait a bit.
O1B-SM1-Green1of2x.jpeg

"You can get very analogesque sounds from software now".... but, sometimes you want "Analog Sounds."
I hope to build an 8 voicer w independent control of all Parameters... Wish me well!
visheshl wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Yea apart from bragging rights, i don't see any appeal in modulars. You can get very analogesque sounds from software now, it doesn't cost as much, doesn't take up so much space, doesn't require so much set up etc etc...its just " look what i have in my studio...eurorack" thats all there is to it
Wish I had something like this to play with on this cold foggy NYC day!
As for the appeal of modular, for me I'm making completely different music with the modular than with software. It's also about live performance for me, where I have come full circle after going "all software" for live and hating the lack of direct control of functions (and scrolling/mousing around just to find the filter knob of a synth in the heat of the moment). To each their own, if it's not for you it's not for you!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

18 Nov 2019

Sincere Apologies for the Feedback Delay, Selig.

I've been working to procure a few things.. this was one. ..and...
- One more big life issue, and it's Full Music Ahead!!

I hope all is well with You, your music, and Life!
selig wrote:
18 Nov 2019

Wish I had something like this to play with on this cold foggy NYC day!
As for the appeal of modular, for me I'm making completely different music with the modular than with software. It's also about live performance for me, where I have come full circle after going "all software" for live and hating the lack of direct control of functions (and scrolling/mousing around just to find the filter knob of a synth in the heat of the moment). To each their own, if it's not for you it's not for you!

O1B

18 Nov 2019

Dual OSC. - Cwejman Buttery Waves
Dual LFO. - with AMPLE Waveforms and Range
... at least Four Voices.

Dual Looping ENV .... maybe 6 Voices (haven't tried, yet)

One Filter....... ;)
GLOBAL TUNING - INCLUDING LFO-1

Just Gate and Pitch CV needed to " ▶️"
Internal ROUTING ni Spades
AMPLE CV Patch Points for Experimentation.

Works for me.

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2019

O1B wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Sincere Apologies for the Feedback Delay, Selig.

I've been working to procure a few things.. this was one. ..and...
- One more big life issue, and it's Full Music Ahead!!
Hey, no need to apologize, life happens…one quick question since you obviously have (had?) lots of HP space to spare.

What are your case recommendations? I currently have the Arturia 6U Rack Brute above my MiniBrute 2s, which I love. But it's now officially full (well, there IS 2HP left but I'll probably just put another mult in there). I may end up getting another Rack Brute, but also want to consider other options including Make Noise and Intellijel cases (or others I've not yet considered). Do you have any suggestions or experience with any of these? One thing I want to be able to do is have a beefy enough power supply to support some of the more "hungry" FX devices like Magneto etc. Thoughts?
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

18 Nov 2019

Ill write back tomorrow. I'm discussing it with a Pal that is going 18U.
Im looking into that $1800 4U MDLR Suitcase - but, I'd rather get the Shuttle Control for $1500 than buy a case.

Intellijel's Power is Great. So, are Arturia and 4ms, from my experience.
I did get noise through my Filter (Cwejman) recently with Wobbler and a few Digi-modules, so consider where you put your Voices.

I'm a mess at the moment. I fear Going BIG.

FYI - are you getting in on that FX kick starter..
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/ ... -preorder/
selig wrote:
18 Nov 2019

What are your case recommendations? I currently have the Arturia 6U Rack Brute above my MiniBrute 2s, which I love. But it's now officially full (well, there IS 2HP left but I'll probably just put another mult in there). I may end up getting another Rack Brute, but also want to consider other options including Make Noise and Intellijel cases (or others I've not yet considered). Do you have any suggestions or experience with any of these? One thing I want to be able to do is have a beefy enough power supply to support some of the more "hungry" FX devices like Magneto etc. Thoughts?

selig
RE Developer

19 Nov 2019

O1B wrote:
18 Nov 2019

Oh yea, Paul's new FX looks intriguing, maybe a competitor for Black Hole?
I have Cloud Terrarium (love it!), and a good friend/collab has had a huge MOTM analog system for years so I'm familiar with Paul's work (high quality stuff and he's a nice guy to boot!).
So it's almost a no brainer to go this route - thanks for the reminder, I forgot it was going live on the 15th.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

07 Dec 2019

I ordered the last Black One! Must have. I ididn't want to wait longer than necessary. May 2020 Plan.

Killer Sound, methinks.

selig wrote:
19 Nov 2019
O1B wrote:
18 Nov 2019

Oh yea, Paul's new FX looks intriguing, maybe a competitor for Black Hole?
I have Cloud Terrarium (love it!), and a good friend/collab has had a huge MOTM analog system for years so I'm familiar with Paul's work (high quality stuff and he's a nice guy to boot!).
So it's almost a no brainer to go this route - thanks for the reminder, I forgot it was going live on the 15th.

• Information