Got Eurorack? Show your Modular Grid!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1510
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 26 Feb 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Yeah, the Hexinverter Mutant Brain looks nice. I ended up going with this as I really liked the x4 configurable gate/pitch/cv1/cv2 options (plus the reset/division outs, pairs really nicely with PNW):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface

QPAS should come today! I'm stoked.
The Vermona module looks like a very good option as well. I did look at it but I'm on a HP budget (subject ...... bound to change!! :-/ ) I did look at the Instruo Aither as well. Very cool looking module. A lot more pricey than the Mutant Brain though. For the price & HP I think I'm sold on the Mutant Brain now. Next pay I think I'm going to buy one.

How's the QPAS (need I ask?!) Looks like Make Noise have hit it out of the park again with this one.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2019

The market is here for quicker skiff options:

4ms Pods .. the form factor is killer - IF - your modules fit. [Expert Sleepers are waaay to Deep!!!]
Ones that Fit: Make NOISE (NOT THE QPAS!!!!!!), Happy Nerding, Mutable Instruments, Cwejman (slimmest out there)
IMG_0015 copy.jpg
$200 ish gets you 60HP and 4 connectors. You can buy 1-to-3 power connectors (more modules)
@1.2mA the power is sufficient

4ms also sells powerLESS cases ($85), shrouded and bare power buses (~$40) and a Power mod (~$120)
with only a barrel cable (~$10), you can connect multiple pods!

*** 4ms has also introduced DEEPER Pods this month. They're still not as deep as Intellijels or RackBrutes.

FYI.
Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2019
I've just decided this week to start investing in Eurorack. I'm probably going to order a happy ending and then a Clouds and Ear module so I can play around. And a Happy Ending so I can make a simple starter case out of wood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Catblack
Posts: 829
Joined: 15 Apr 2016

Post 27 Feb 2019

O1B wrote:
27 Feb 2019
The market is here for quicker skiff options:

4ms Pods .. the form factor is killer - IF - your modules fit. [Expert Sleepers are waaay to Deep!!!]
Ones that Fit: Make NOISE (NOT THE QPAS!!!!!!), Happy Nerding, Mutable Instruments, Cwejman (slimmest out there)

IMG_0015 copy.jpg

$200 ish gets you 60HP and 4 connectors. You can buy 1-to-3 power connectors (more modules)
@1.2mA the power is sufficient

4ms also sells powerLESS cases ($85), shrouded and bare power buses (~$40) and a Power mod (~$120)
with only a barrel cable (~$10), you can connect multiple pods!

*** 4ms has also introduced DEEPER Pods this month. They're still not as deep as Intellijels or RackBrutes.

FYI.
Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2019
I've just decided this week to start investing in Eurorack. I'm probably going to order a happy ending and then a Clouds and Ear module so I can play around. And a Happy Ending so I can make a simple starter case out of wood.
I've started picking up modules and I've got a case. I went with a used Pittsburgh Modular Cell 90. (Pitt Mod is actually about 8 or 10 miles from me.) It's already maybe too small for what I have planned.

I'm actually committed to buying everything used or building it myself. The eurorack community is great so far for both in my experience. I'm planning and budgeting ahead into the summer. I'm considering getting into SMD soldiering to do some of the builds I want to do. Or I'll find builders I trust.

High on my list is getting a Monsoon. (Clouds clone) It's been high on my list but I've snapped up some deals on other things and had to pass on it so far. I really want to bring noise out of Reason and play with it! This is actually the goal of my initial rack.

But I've snapped up good deals on a Yarns clone, an MI Ears, a Teleplexer and a Warps. Then I was looking at all that and looking into options on an output/headphone preamp module and went with a used Pittsburgh System Interface, which will fill out my needs nicely for a while.

So it's that Monsoon next and I'd love to pair an Ornaments & Crime module to a Doepfer A-192-1 (maybe) and control Nostromo from it. Then I'll consider more bleepy and bloopy as I expand into another case. I probably might have planned better, but everything total so far (plus that monsoon) is still less than I spent on Reason the past year.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 27 Feb 2019

It sounds like you have a MUCH better roadmap for where you want to be that I do. Nice.
Pittsburgh Modular Cell 90....
I'm actually committed to buying everything used or building it myself.
Just be sure to read up on Pittsburgh Power Issues. There are so many threads, it made me nervous.
Here's one: Pittsburgh Move 208 Power Supply Issues
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
- "It's not the modules (un)fortunately. I've taken them all out and tested them individually in my other case, and they work fine."

And, on ModularGRid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/408
- "I just picked up a new Pittsburgh Modular Move 208 case and arranged these modules into it. I seem to be having some power issues however despite the fact that everything adds up well within spec... even when dividing case spec between the two rails."

Cell 90, specifically... :https://llllllll.co/t/eurorack-case/11157/7
"The Intellijel 4U cases have a better power supply "
"My two cents: whatever you do, stay away from Pittsburgh Modular. I have a Cell 48 and two Cell 90’s that I’ve had to gut because their power supplies were terrible. Extreme amounts of noise on digital modules (Nebulae, Clouds, Rings),..."

FYI
Yarns clone, an MI Ears, a Teleplexer and a Warps.
Given you're picking a lot if digi devices (Mutable Instruments), it may be something to look out for.

Godspeed with your setup, CatBlack.
O1B.

Catblack wrote:
27 Feb 2019

I've started picking up modules and I've got a case. I went with a used Pittsburgh Modular Cell 90. (Pitt Mod is actually about 8 or 10 miles from me.) It's already maybe too small for what I have planned.

I'm actually committed to buying everything used or building it myself. The eurorack community is great so far for both in my experience. I'm planning and budgeting ahead into the summer. I'm considering getting into SMD soldiering to do some of the builds I want to do. Or I'll find builders I trust.

High on my list is getting a Monsoon. (Clouds clone) It's been high on my list but I've snapped up some deals on other things and had to pass on it so far. I really want to bring noise out of Reason and play with it! This is actually the goal of my initial rack.

But I've snapped up good deals on a Yarns clone, an MI Ears, a Teleplexer and a Warps. Then I was looking at all that and looking into options on an output/headphone preamp module and went with a used Pittsburgh System Interface, which will fill out my needs nicely for a while.

So it's that Monsoon next and I'd love to pair an Ornaments & Crime module to a Doepfer A-192-1 (maybe) and control Nostromo from it. Then I'll consider more bleepy and bloopy as I expand into another case. I probably might have planned better, but everything total so far (plus that monsoon) is still less than I spent on Reason the past year.

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 116
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 27 Feb 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2019
Crumbfort wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Yeah, the Hexinverter Mutant Brain looks nice. I ended up going with this as I really liked the x4 configurable gate/pitch/cv1/cv2 options (plus the reset/division outs, pairs really nicely with PNW):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface

QPAS should come today! I'm stoked.
The Vermona module looks like a very good option as well. I did look at it but I'm on a HP budget (subject ...... bound to change!! :-/ ) I did look at the Instruo Aither as well. Very cool looking module. A lot more pricey than the Mutant Brain though. For the price & HP I think I'm sold on the Mutant Brain now. Next pay I think I'm going to buy one.

How's the QPAS (need I ask?!) Looks like Make Noise have hit it out of the park again with this one.
Definitely! The Mutant Brain looks like crazy great bang for buck.

Just got the QPAS today! Apparently there was much weather delay with the shipping. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I certainly will on the morrow!

I also sold my Make Noise STOs last week. I've just gotten a lot more enjoyment out of my Pittsburgh Primary Oscs and wasn't drawn to them as much anymore. Still an awesome sounding oscillator, though. Picked up a used one of these and I really like it:

Image

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1514
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 02 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
17 Feb 2019
So I’m covered getting note etc out of Reason into the rack, though any CV is not at audio rate. Going the other direction will take an ES-8 and another free USB port, which will probably happen in the big FX expansion I’m thinking…
I have an ES-8 and look forward to getting it to work fully, but it's on the back burner right now. Couldn't imagine being a Reason head and having a modular synth and not using Reason's CV with it, sounds like too much fun :)

Faastwalker wrote:
20 Feb 2019
I'm starting small. But every module towards filling up the Happy Ending has me thinking bigger :D
Really cool, and you have a bit of a white theme going on that looks super tidy, bang on!!

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

Compared to Modular - Reason CV is ... as predictable as Digi-1-2-3.

No... CV in the modular world is much, more exciting ... transient... unexpected.

Scaling CV in Reason is pure guess work - and most knobs (scaling CV) are in the back. (And - forget resetting the values..... tedious, tedious.)
Access to Reason CV is dependent on a MIDI controller... Doh! That's right!
- then! It's either choppy for boringly smoothed out.

Forget about Attenuverting or on-the-fly adjustment. At best - set it for forget it.

I have never lost any sleep disregarding Reason CV - when using Modular.
Jagwah wrote:
02 Mar 2019
I have an ES-8 and look forward to getting it to work fully, but it's on the back burner right now. Couldn't imagine being a Reason head and having a modular synth and not using Reason's CV with it, sounds like too much fun :)

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1514
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Mar 2019

O1B wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Compared to Modular - Reason CV is ... as predictable as Digi-1-2-3.

No... CV in the modular world is much, more exciting ... transient... unexpected.

Scaling CV in Reason is pure guess work - and most knobs (scaling CV) are in the back. (And - forget resetting the values..... tedious, tedious.)
Access to Reason CV is dependent on a MIDI controller... Doh! That's right!
- then! It's either choppy for boringly smoothed out.

Forget about Attenuverting or on-the-fly adjustment. At best - set it for forget it.

I have never lost any sleep disregarding Reason CV - when using Modular.
Jagwah wrote:
02 Mar 2019
I have an ES-8 and look forward to getting it to work fully, but it's on the back burner right now. Couldn't imagine being a Reason head and having a modular synth and not using Reason's CV with it, sounds like too much fun :)
I think I'm following you. I would definitely like to understand what you're saying here as it could save me a lot of time.

I don't know what a Digi-1-2-3 is.

When I think scaling CV, I think using a tool to trim the values. What is wrong with resetting CV values or attenuating or adjusting them on the fly in this situation? Does it crash or fail or something?

How / why do I need a midi controller for any of this?

If the end result is going to be crap, and I think that's what you are saying, I'd like to understand it better. I did finally get a bit of life out of my ES-8 when I last attempted using it, but I felt it needed a bit of wiring in Reason to work out how to calibrate it and have it perform well. Even then I only have two ports working, soundcard issue I didn't have time to sort out then.

I have an audio to CV module or more of an audio envelope follower, which to my surprise happens in this translation anyway (CV converted to audio, and back to CV again), would you say I'm better of using this and giving up on the ES-8? https://lzxindustries.net/products/sensory-translator. Interested in you expanding your thoughts here, thanks.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

Sorry! Digi1-2-3....means Digital.

Scaling and offsetting -
Scaling 1 to 10 or 1 to 100 - or 100 to 1! for that matter. Not so easy to do in Reason.
Offsetting : 1 to 10 goes to 20 to 30 or -10 to -20 or -20 to -10!

Off-setting in the Combinator is tedious still...and forget about scaling.
A proper scaling/offset tool in reason would have to be stand-alone - with control from the front.

Like ....
Image
or
Image
How / why do I need a midi controller for any of this?
How would you change the values... one at a time? with a mouse/keyboard? Maybe. But, its so much less 'musical'

I never used the ES-8, but I have HAD AIRAs - which allows CV transmission.
During testing, it seemed too clinical - for my taste. I much prefer modular CV sources.
would you say I'm better of using this and giving up on the ES-8? [https://lzxindustries.net/products/sensory-translator]
Don't give up on the ES-8. Take it as a challenge that I'm wrong. I never used the ES-8 and I do (kinda) want one - but... FH-2.

The ES-8 is - for me - the AUDIO bridge more than CV. Expert Sleepers' FH-2 for instance is USB-X, MiDi, etc. for CV. (No audio, I believe)

I have never tried LZX, but I will some day. the module you linked is Very interesting. I've never researched their products. I will now.

Anytime, Jagwah.
O1B

Note to self...
Image
Jagwah wrote:
15 Mar 2019
O1B wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Compared to Modular - Reason CV is ... as predictable as Digi-1-2-3.

No... CV in the modular world is much, more exciting ... transient... unexpected.

Scaling CV in Reason is pure guess work - and most knobs (scaling CV) are in the back. (And - forget resetting the values..... tedious, tedious.)
Access to Reason CV is dependent on a MIDI controller... Doh! That's right!
- then! It's either choppy for boringly smoothed out.

Forget about Attenuverting or on-the-fly adjustment. At best - set it for forget it.

I have never lost any sleep disregarding Reason CV - when using Modular.

I think I'm following you. I would definitely like to understand what you're saying here as it could save me a lot of time.

I don't know what a Digi-1-2-3 is.

When I think scaling CV, I think using a tool to trim the values. What is wrong with resetting CV values or attenuating or adjusting them on the fly in this situation? Does it crash or fail or something?

How / why do I need a midi controller for any of this?

If the end result is going to be crap, and I think that's what you are saying, I'd like to understand it better. I did finally get a bit of life out of my ES-8 when I last attempted using it, but I felt it needed a bit of wiring in Reason to work out how to calibrate it and have it perform well. Even then I only have two ports working, soundcard issue I didn't have time to sort out then.

I have an audio to CV module or more of an audio envelope follower, which to my surprise happens in this translation anyway (CV converted to audio, and back to CV again), would you say I'm better of using this and giving up on the ES-8? https://lzxindustries.net/products/sensory-translator. Interested in you expanding your thoughts here, thanks.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

Reason CV is AWESOME - to be clear. I wouldn't understand crap if Reason didn't exist for me.

It's just the implementation of it - now that I have modular CV access - that I am considering.
if you wanted to sweep a filter with CV, but invert the sweep - just 'cause (for example) ... Reason CV doesn't make it easy.

And, the transients that occur in the modular world are hard to reproduce ITB.
If you have any experience you want to share, Im all ears.
Jagwah wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I think I'm following you. I would definitely like to understand what you're saying here as it could save me a lot of time.
---
If the end result is going to be crap, and I think that's what you are saying, I'd like to understand it better. I did finally get a bit of life out of my ES-8 when I last attempted using it, but I felt it needed a bit of wiring in Reason to work out how to calibrate it and have it perform well. Even then I only have two ports working, soundcard issue I didn't have time to sort out then.
---

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1514
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Mar 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Don't give up on the ES-8. Take it as a challenge that I'm wrong. I never used the ES-8 and I do (kinda) want one - but... FH-2.

The ES-8 is - for me - the AUDIO bridge more than CV. Expert Sleepers' FH-2 for instance is USB-X, MiDi, etc. for CV. (No audio, I believe)

I have never tried LZX, but I will some day. the module you linked is Very interesting. I've never researched their products. I will now.
I have been thinking about this for the past few days and I keep coming back to how much easier this must all be with the envelope follower module (LZX Sensory Translator). I can design sounds to manipulate that module, I can also use CV to audio converters and vice versa inside Reason to take my sounds or CV data and send it through an audio out to the Sensory Translator. I already had this module working (I'm away from home right now) and it was simple, audio out to its in and bam it's in action (looks cool too with coloured LEDs). The ES-8 was and is a pain to get going, soundcard issues, driver issues, I am not looking forward to tackling it again to be honest. The question I am considering now is can the Sensory Translator do just as good a job as the ES-8? Given time I may be able to answer this myself.

LZX Industries' modules open up a whole new modular world to discover! I am grateful for owning them and coming across them when I did. Their backlog is massive due to high demand. I have an ongoing project in mind and these just took everything to a different level. Amazing stuff indeed.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!!

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 18 Mar 2019

YOUR message is my lesson for the day. LZX has been on my radar - but I've felt like being in that Zoolander scene reading about it


It's been that way finding my Best Gear, now that I think about it: Native Inst, Moog, Pioneer, MXR, Propellerhead...

"LZX Industries' modules open up a whole new modular world to discover! "
- Bingo! I'm on it!

btw, I may be mistaken but was it you that started out your modular using a box as a skiff?
whoever it was - it was THAT IMAGE, here on reasontalk.com, that got me into modular in the first place.

If it was you, Thank you. Sincerely.
Jagwah wrote:
18 Mar 2019
O1B wrote:
16 Mar 2019
I have never tried LZX, but I will some day. the module you linked is Very interesting. I've never researched their products. I will now.
I have been thinking about this for the past few days and I keep coming back to how much easier this must all be with the envelope follower module (LZX Sensory Translator). I can design sounds to manipulate that module, I can also use CV to audio converters and vice versa inside Reason to take my sounds or CV data and send it through an audio out to the Sensory Translator. I already had this module working (I'm away from home right now) and it was simple, audio out to its in and bam it's in action (looks cool too with coloured LEDs). The ES-8 was and is a pain to get going, soundcard issues, driver issues, I am not looking forward to tackling it again to be honest. The question I am considering now is can the Sensory Translator do just as good a job as the ES-8? Given time I may be able to answer this myself.

LZX Industries' modules open up a whole new modular world to discover! I am grateful for owning them and coming across them when I did. Their backlog is massive due to high demand. I have an ongoing project in mind and these just took everything to a different level. Amazing stuff indeed.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!!

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1514
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Mar 2019

O1B wrote:
18 Mar 2019
YOUR message is my lesson for the day. LZX has been on my radar - but I've felt like being in that Zoolander scene reading about it

...btw, I may be mistaken but was it you that started out your modular using a box as a skiff?
whoever it was - it was THAT IMAGE, here on reasontalk.com, that got me into modular in the first place.

If it was you, Thank you. Sincerely.

Haha love the Zoolander reference :D

I remember seeing that cardboard skiff, wasn't me though :) It's great Eurorack can be done 'reasonably' cheaply, TipTop Audio modules are a big help there too.

LZX Industries recently put out some videos that lay down a few of the basics. I swear it sounds like a less enthusiastic Ryan Harlin on these videos. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CwIJq1q9OI

The video modules are very complex, but you can learn by tweaking just the same as with audio synths. People seem to use video synthesis for shape generation, or for mangling a video signal in different ways. People also do 'Installations' where they project the visuals on to a live band or similar. It's very open to experimentation and it's given me lots of ideas to go with.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 19 Mar 2019

The video integration of the OP-Z and LZX interest me in how I can re-applying the information to my Sound.

Paratek's new modules returned me to thoughts on such explorations recently.
Image

But, I wanted something a little - scratch that - a LOT MORE - interactive.

War of the Ants... Liquid TV... Polar Fringe and Marble... Escher Sketch...! Wow!
The LZX Industries Sensory Translator very interesting by spec for sure.

I do hope Nick Batt does some upcoming videos.... LZX does not make their videos easy to watch.
Castle 100 Multi Gate seems a no-brainer - when it's released.

Thanks again.
Jagwah wrote:
18 Mar 2019
...
The video modules are very complex, but you can learn by tweaking just the same as with audio synths. People seem to use video synthesis for shape generation, or for mangling a video signal in different ways. People also do 'Installations' where they project the visuals on to a live band or similar. It's very open to experimentation and it's given me lots of ideas to go with.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 23 Mar 2019

What's your verdict on the E370?

If you don't mind... I'm very interested.
Thanks.
selig wrote:
01 Feb 2019
E370....

Good times ahead!

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1510
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Apr 2019

Just bought a 2nd hand Erica Synths Black Hole DSP 1. 20HP left on the Happy Ending .............

Image

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2019

Please share your thoughts on the BlackHole DSP, FW.
... and, Maths, dude. 20HP. You need a Mixer. You need a snappier Driver for your TeleH-.
You want to use channel 2/3 to sweep filters instead of the module's dedicated Cutoff knob.
Trust me.

Im experimenting with Prism, the MMF-2 and the SPH-2, atm.
Next is the Dipole, and some Freq/Phase Shifting.

Modulation sources Matter.
IMG_0046 copy-2.jpg
Faastwalker wrote:
04 Apr 2019
Just bought a 2nd hand Erica Synths Black Hole DSP 1. 20HP left on the Happy Ending .............

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1510
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
05 Apr 2019
Please share your thoughts on the BlackHole DSP, FW.
... and, Maths, dude. 20HP. You need a Mixer. You need a snappier Driver for your TeleH-.
You want to use channel 2/3 to sweep filters instead of the module's dedicated Cutoff knob.
Trust me.

Im experimenting with Prism, the MMF-2 and the SPH-2, atm.
Next is the Dipole, and some Freq/Phase Shifting.

Modulation sources Matter.
Only just bought the Black Hole. Waiting on it to be delivered. But was sold on the YouTube vids I watched. I wanted a nice FX module but didn’t want to spend the Earth or for it to be one specific effect, although I was very tempted by the Thonk Spring Reverb & tank.

Maths is still very much on the radar. I can route a couple of channels to the Phenol, which is my mixing capability for now. I know I need more. But I’d like to save this for when I have more modules - a second happy ending or larger skiff is a certainty at this point I’m sure. I’m very close to buying a Hexinverter Mutant Brain MIDI to CV converter module. That way I can have more modulation & gates from Reason - I’m currently limited to the Phenol’s single gate, pitch and modulation output, which works very well from Reason but I need more outputs.

The Qu-Bit Prism looks very interesting. How are you finding it? I keep coming back to the Worng Vector Space myself. Very interesting module that one. I’d also like another oscillator and filter ..... oh and a quad VCA. Yep, running out of space. Need more space!! Very exciting though. I love it :thumbs_up: I need more patch cables as well ;)

User avatar
emilng
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Oct 2017

Post 05 Apr 2019

I've been sequencing from either Reason or Reaktor routed through the ES-8. This also allows the audio to be in separate channels with their own effects. I also have a Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 that is stand-alone until I get a larger case. The Orthogonal Devices ER-301 and Monome Teletype both came in this past week. They're both DEEP modules so I'm not sure if I'll feel like expanding my case until I get the hang of them. I'm thinking they'll be able to keep me busy for the rest of the year.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/889655

Image
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2019

I'm still waiting for Selig/you maybe? to school me on that ER-301. It looks busy! - but Awesome!
What's that clean aluminum module on the right ? (nice 4U skiff, btw)

That is one Trigger/ENV producing mega-skiff you have there. Good Jesus. Every Protocol known to Modern Man.
...Holding out on the 1U Midi module/Intellijel? Maybe that 1U Buffered Multi?

But... I see..... somewhere squeeeeeeezed in there is a tiny, tiny, tiiiiiny LPF. A man after my own Heart.
emilng wrote:
05 Apr 2019
I've been sequencing from either Reason or Reaktor routed through the ES-8. This also allows the audio to be in separate channels with their own effects. I also have a Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 that is stand-alone until I get a larger case. The Orthogonal Devices ER-301 and Monome Teletype both came in this past week. They're both DEEP modules so I'm not sure if I'll feel like expanding my case until I get the hang of them. I'm thinking they'll be able to keep me busy for the rest of the year.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/889655

Image

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 06 Apr 2019

Check! on the BHole. Anytime. It's a real 'convenient' module for what it does - if it sounds Great.

I gotta say, the Modcan Quad LFO must be considered. As an LFO source, it may Best Maths for the dynamics it can produce.
I believe it is mostly because of the different shapes/modifications/ and CV ''strength', but the results are undeniable.
I thought I would sell for another Maths - but, no way! The Quad LFO was built for Filter mangling.
Image

Prism is FUN so far. It's a five trick pony, but it sounds Great!
- The Filter sounds Great for FX moments - and can be bypassed.
- You can Control the "Timing" in such a way as to get slapback, or metallic, but it's not a typical delay otherwise.
- You can Crunch - which has it's moments depending on the signal/ Filter mode/ and Res.
- You can Freeze, which is just too much fun t-t-t-t-t-t-to to to to to tooo dooooooooo!
- You can GO Crazy with CV.
- It's Stereo!
- or are there 6 tricks...? There's even more to it. Keeper!
But, back to Phonogene? or Echophon? or Erbe-Verb? or Morphagene? or Magneto?

The Worng is something I have to look into further myself - that, and the Addac Quadraphonic Spatializer.
Image
Faastwalker wrote:
05 Apr 2019
O1B wrote:
05 Apr 2019
...
Modulation sources Matter.
Only just bought the Black Hole. Waiting on it to be delivered...

Maths is still very much on the radar. I can route a couple of channels to the Phenol... for now.
... I know I need more. ...I’m very close to buying a Hexinverter Mutant Brain MIDI to CV converter module. ...

The Qu-Bit Prism looks very interesting. How are you finding it? I keep coming back to the Worng Vector Space myself.
Last edited by O1B on 21 Apr 2019, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
emilng
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Oct 2017

Post 06 Apr 2019

O1B wrote:
06 Apr 2019
I'm still waiting for Selig/you maybe? to school me on that ER-301. It looks busy! - but Awesome!
What's that clean aluminum module on the right ? (nice 4U skiff, btw)

That is one Trigger/ENV producing mega-skiff you have there. Good Jesus. Every Protocol known to Modern Man.
...Holding out on the 1U Midi module/Intellijel? Maybe that 1U Buffered Multi?

But... I see..... somewhere squeeeeeeezed in there is a tiny, tiny, tiiiiiny LPF. A man after my own Heart.
I just got the ER-301 so I'm still trying to figure things out myself :D Basically it's a self contained digital modular system in Eurorack format. It can take in external CV and audio. You can send out audio but you can't easily send out CV. I'm planning on using it as a sampler/effects/sound generator module.

The module to its right is the Monome Teletype. It allows you to write small (6 lines of code long) scripts that can be triggered by the 8 trigger inputs and can output to 4 gates and 4 CV outputs. It can be directly connected to the ER-301 in the back which allows for up to 100 CV outputs to the ER-301. It comes with a small USB QWERTY keyboard that connects to the front USB port and you can view and edit scripts in the built-in screen. This has its own scripting language and way of working. I got this a couple of weeks ago and still have a lot to learn.

I was actually thinking that there weren't enough trigger/envelope generators! :D When I eventually get a larger case, I'll probably get a Pam's New Workout for clocking and LFOs. I think you can use it for envelopes, but if it ends up being too annoying to tweak individual envelopes, I'll probably get another module dedicated to envelope generation. The blank 1U slot on top will probably contain another Quadratt. It's super useful as a mixer and as a knob controller for the ER-301.

The LPF was a freebie that came with the General CV which I got used :D It's been useful for splitting out the second OSC on the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 into its own voice.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7902
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Apr 2019

Update on my rig - ditching the Malekko Quad LFO and Quad Envelope for the XAOS Batumi and Mutable Instruments Stages. Loving both. Really needed the direct editing of LFO rates and Envelope steps, and wanted CV control too (not to mention curve controls for the envelope stages). Much happier overall now, I have to say, and Stages is a BEAST.

Still have 2HP left… ;)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/856175
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1510
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Apr 2019

selig wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Update on my rig - ditching the Malekko Quad LFO and Quad Envelope for the XAOS Batumi and Mutable Instruments Stages. Loving both. Really needed the direct editing of LFO rates and Envelope steps, and wanted CV control too (not to mention curve controls for the envelope stages). Much happier overall now, I have to say, and Stages is a BEAST.

Still have 2HP left… ;)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/856175
The Batumi has featured on a hell of a lot of rigs I've seen. Very popular module. Stages looks interesting as well.

I'm still looking for a solution for CV control from Reason. I was looking at the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. Also the Expert Sleepers ES-8. Massive price difference in those two modules & each has it's advantages & disadvantages. I'm hearing that MIDI to CV conversion is not so good in some circumstances (i.e. stepping with slower modulation sources). The ES-8 also seems to be handicapped by the requirement to set it up as an aggregate device. Less of a headache on Mac OSX. But requires something like ASIO4ALL on Windows, which looks to be a weak link in an otherwise solid solution.

Best bet at the moment looks to be an audio interface with ADAT I/O paired with an ES-3 possibly expanded with an ES-6 for 6 inputs. My current interface, a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, doesn't have ADAT I/O. So I'm considering the possibility of upgrading to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. This would negate the need to have a 2nd audio interface & the problems associated with this set-up. The cost wouldn't be far off the price of an ES-8. So it's comparable from an economic perspective. On the other hand the Mutant Brain is peanuts compared to either Expert Sleepers options. Decisions, decisions :shock:

User avatar
emilng
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Oct 2017

Post 17 Apr 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I'm still looking for a solution for CV control from Reason. I was looking at the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. Also the Expert Sleepers ES-8. Massive price difference in those two modules & each has it's advantages & disadvantages. I'm hearing that MIDI to CV conversion is not so good in some circumstances (i.e. stepping with slower modulation sources). The ES-8 also seems to be handicapped by the requirement to set it up as an aggregate device. Less of a headache on Mac OSX. But requires something like ASIO4ALL on Windows, which looks to be a weak link in an otherwise solid solution.

Best bet at the moment looks to be an audio interface with ADAT I/O paired with an ES-3 possibly expanded with an ES-6 for 6 inputs. My current interface, a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, doesn't have ADAT I/O. So I'm considering the possibility of upgrading to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. This would negate the need to have a 2nd audio interface & the problems associated with this set-up. The cost wouldn't be far off the price of an ES-8. So it's comparable from an economic perspective. On the other hand the Mutant Brain is peanuts compared to either Expert Sleepers options. Decisions, decisions :shock:
Something else to consider when figuring out CV control from Reason is pitch calibration. If you're working with analog oscillators it makes it much easier to get everything in tune if you use something like Silent Way or the pitch block in Reaktor. You'll need to have a way to get audio back into Reason in order to handle calibration. If you're going the MIDI control route, the Bastl 1983 MIDI to CV converter includes tuning calibration in the module. One thing I learned about pitch calibration is that the calibration source should be a simple waveform like a sine wave. You're not going to get good results if you're trying to calibrate a complex oscillator that's all FMed and wavefolded.

I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. I'm on OSX so it works fine as an aggregate device with the ES-8 and ES-6, but I have no idea about how that would work with ASIO4ALL. Depending on how much I/O you're looking for, the Expert Sleepers ES-40 and its expanders work with SPDIF. That would be a middle solution since the 6i6 has SPDIF I/O.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests