2012 Macbook Pro 15" good enough for Reason 10?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Troublemecca

08 Jan 2019

Just wondering if anyone still uses this machine in their creative process? checking one out on ebay for <$500... anti glare display, 16G of RAM, 1TB HDD, 4-core i7 ivy bridge @ 2.6ghz (turbo to 3.6) , dedicated graphics card

I'm running off the experience of my 2009 Mac Mini... which I gave to my nephew years ago and is still running great (though I never tried Reason on it).

kinkujin

08 Jan 2019

I'm just getting started in Reason with a 2012 mbp 13". No issues so far ...

Troublemecca

11 Jan 2019

kinkujin wrote:
08 Jan 2019
I'm just getting started in Reason with a 2012 mbp 13". No issues so far ...
Sweet, ty, just received it and testing it out... the DSP meter doesn't even budge, lol. This thing is a beast... pleased i didn't go the new route... it is chugging at 6 years old.

eusti

11 Jan 2019

Well, it's really dependent on what you expect... Would love my 2012 13" MacBook Pro to be able to run more instances and devices, but it still gets stuff done.

D.

Troublemecca

21 Feb 2019

Yeah, I've definitely hit roadblocks with more developed tracks now... The gui is especially unforgiving at high load, updating at what seems like <10fps...but as a mobile recording and light mixing solution it's been good to me. I have poor mixing hygiene after being spoiled by my desktop, inserts where there should likely be sends, etc. Perhaps with a more streamlined approach i can squeeze more out of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

tommyshelby

11 Mar 2019

I used to have the machine for doing the creative process on my Mac system but now I am not using it as it is creating problem while doing the process and I think that the compatibility of the machine is no longer and that is why the problem happened.

dhruan

11 Mar 2019

I actually tried R10 on a 15" retina MBP from 2012 last weekend (pretty similar specs aside from the HDD which is 750GB)... it was pretty ok but what killed it for me overall was the fact that it had a HDD in it and the system kept loading and swapping like crazy which made the use of the system somewhat painful. Clean install of Mojave to boot so kind of... weird.

If you get that one my recommendation would be to swap the HDD to an SDD and you should actually be good to go (depends on your ambitions of course > how many tracks and devices and what devices you are going to run in R10, some are real CPU hogs).

I currently have a 15" retina MBP from 2015 which has a SDD and the difference in overall use is like night and day because the SDD speeds up loading times and whatnot so much that the general UX is improved immensely.

Otherwise the 2012 and 2015 models are not that far apart when it comes to raw processing power alone as that period was pretty damn quiet for Apple fundamental component upgrade wise.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Troublemecca

11 Mar 2019

1TB HDD tho... Which isn't presenting major hurdles atm... So I'm loathe to do away with it. I believe Mountain Lion was the update that made HDDs obsolete on Macs; i know some light surgery will make her scream though... Thinking about replacing the optical drive, but nostalgia grips me.

I've got a desktop/laptop workflow now... Where i do the creative stuff on the laptop, and the editing/mundane stuff on the PC.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Information