Maschine Jam

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
electrofux

07 May 2017

Just found out that there exists a Controller Editor for the Maschine Jam which actually seems to give access to pretty much every item on the controller in a bidirectional way (including RGB LED colors). Which would be pretty awesome. Last time i asked NI if their controllers can be configured that way they told me it is not possible.

Given the fact that Maschine Jam can be also used as a VST, it would not only be a nice Reason Controller but also adding a powerfull sequencer. That would be even better if 9.5 also integrates VST Mdi which it doesnt but alas there are other ways.

O1B

09 May 2017

Controller editor? - Would you mind posting? Bi-directional...? Many controllers do that... livid bass, trigger finger pro, midi fighter twister, etc.

A powerful midi controller, imo, looks more like a synth - faders, knobs, sliders, XY, etc., and has a proper LCD screen. I don't see much improvement over the Livid Bass, TFP.

Nektar's P1 makes a better midi controller. Touch pads can't replace real faders/knobs.

Let us know how it goes!

electrofux

09 May 2017

I have digged a bit deeper into it. As a Reason Controller this seems to be next to perfect (to me at least) since it has a shitton of RGB buttons which is very good to visualize things. The touch pads are very good, they felt alot better than the Livid Base ones plus they aren't put so deep in the controller itself. And this part of the Maschine Jam works bidirectional. Sure knobs and real faders are nice but they have drawbacks too. Potis and Faders cause jumps, motor faders are annoying, encoders need LED rings and it is hard to find high resolution ones.

It is alot of work to put a codec for it together though, not sure i would go through this again.

But i was figuring using it also for the Maschine Software too since the Maschine and Midi mode is switchable and it can be loaded as a VST in the future.
The only problem in this area is that i found out that when for example you load up an external instrument in Maschine which you intend to route to a Reason device for sequencing you dont get bidirectional communication on this. Which means the touchpads won't refelct the state of the Reason device which is a shame.

Also VST Midi is coming at a later release of Reason so there might be problems creeping up too.

fennek

09 Dec 2018

Hello Electrofux,

It looks like you have worked out something nice. Recently I bought Machine Jam and also the MaschineR Jam tool from retouch control.
http://retouchcontrol.com/maschiner

Now I am having some issues with it.
Were you able to setup workable settings with the controller editor? And would you like to share that setup file?

With kind regards,
Joko, alias: Fennek
To beat continued...
https://FennekMusic.nl

• Information