New one fader controllers

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
sonicbyte

16 Jul 2018

Hi,

I noticed a few days ago behringer and presonus launch new one fader control surfaces:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -faderport
http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behri ... NE/p/P0CAP

Do you think this should work fine with Reason ? The old version of presonus wasn't compatible with Reason as far as I know.

Thanks

QVprod

16 Jul 2018

One would assume that if it supports Mackie Control, then it should work, but I did hear otherwise about the Faderport 8. That may or may not have been user error though.

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 Jul 2018

I have read here that the Behringer X-Touch series works well with Reason, with the exception that the clip indicators don't reset when you reset them in Reason.

Track colors also don't display, but that's a limitation of the Remote protocol.

Faastwalker

16 Jul 2018

I like the idea of a 1 knob and/or 1 fader solution to control everything. Makes a lot of sense. Maybe more so than a large bank of physical controls? I've been thinking about one of these to take control of Reason;

https://touchinnovations.com/kontrol-master/

kuhliloach

16 Jul 2018

It makes great sense. Since I first saw the Nektar Panorama P4 I've liked the idea of a single fader. One's all you need.

QVprod

16 Jul 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jul 2018
I like the idea of a 1 knob and/or 1 fader solution to control everything. Makes a lot of sense. Maybe more so than a large bank of physical controls? I've been thinking about one of these to take control of Reason;

It's a great controller. I did a review article on it here on ReasonTalk last year. Only thing is I also have a Nektar P6 and one pretty much cancels out the other in usefulness. It's a bit different from using a motorized fader though. Kontrol Master requires your mouse to be hovering over the parameter you want to control whereas even on a non motorized surface (Panoramas also have visual feedback for the regular faders) you can have more immediacy in controlling certain things. Where I think the Kontrol Master would excel over a single or bank of faders is in controlling synths and fx in the rack.

Djstarski

17 Jul 2018

One fader is nowhere near enough for me . Try using one fader when you have 4 vocal tracks to blend together . Give me 8 plus faders anytime .

Faastwalker

17 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Where I think the Kontrol Master would excel over a single or bank of faders is in controlling synths and fx in the rack.
I love the fact that it requires no real set-up & can control anything you hover over with the mouse pointer. It would be cool if you didn't have to select vertical, horizontal or circular control via the three buttons. By I'd imagine this would become pretty intuitive after a short time.

The Nektar controllers look good as well. At least you get feedback about which control is controlling which parameter. But what I'd really love is a big bank of endless rotary controllers that have visual feedback showing position & assigned parameter.

But there's not a solution out there for me that comes close to what I think a controller should be. There are caveats & compromises with everything. So many x8 knobs/sliders type MIDI controllers. You need more. But then you also need visual feedback so as not to loose track of what is doing what.

I'm curious to know how the Presonus Faderport works. How do you assign the fader/encoder? Could it be used to control synths in a similar way to the Kontrol Master? Could be an interesting prospect if it could work like this.

QVprod

17 Jul 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
17 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Where I think the Kontrol Master would excel over a single or bank of faders is in controlling synths and fx in the rack.

I'm curious to know how the Presonus Faderport works. How do you assign the fader/encoder? Could it be used to control synths in a similar way to the Kontrol Master? Could be an interesting prospect if it could work like this.
It doesn't. If it works in Reason it'll be in Mackie control mode which would work based on the mackie control remote map. Kontrol Master's knob works the way it does because it's not sending midi. It's directly controlling the mouse. here's an overview of how it works.

sonicbyte

17 Jul 2018

Which of them should work better with Reason in your opinion ? I bet the behringer is more "open" and flexible to customize... and the price tag is much lower consider that it has LCD screens on it.

Thanks

QVprod

17 Jul 2018

As much as I like Presonus, the Behringer will probably work better in Reason because the function buttons seem to be assignable. I'd be nervous about all the functions of the Faderport not working as well with Reason as it does with Studio One. Sadly Behringer is not as detailed about their products as Presonus is.

O1B

21 Jul 2018

I’d read up on those 2-3 star reviews for Kontrol Master: ($300 is better spent on a P-1)
aesthetic issues (size, plugs), file hacks to make it ‘compatible’, unused space..., etc.

fyi..... Faders.... who needs faders... for Audio or cv...?

Million Machine March (+ the ES-8.)

electrofux

23 Jul 2018

I have once recreated a 1 Knob mouseover function with Bomes Midi Translator.

It is cool but not as cool as one might think. And that is because you have to tell the controller if the underlying knob is a fader, or a knob and some other third category. It would be cooler if something like that is integrated into the DAW itself.

Still thinking about those 1 Fader Channelstrip controllers as an addition.

Currently uisng a combination of Doepfer Pocket Dial, Ipad as a big ass LCD and Launchpad Mini to offer bankswitching and stuff.

joeyluck

23 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jul 2018

It's a great controller. I did a review article on it here on ReasonTalk last year. Only thing is I also have a Nektar P6 and one pretty much cancels out the other in usefulness. It's a bit different from using a motorized fader though. Kontrol Master requires your mouse to be hovering over the parameter you want to control whereas even on a non motorized surface (Panoramas also have visual feedback for the regular faders) you can have more immediacy in controlling certain things. Where I think the Kontrol Master would excel over a single or bank of faders is in controlling synths and fx in the rack.
I really like the concept of the Master Kontrol and I'm still holding out for them to make a smaller, more compact version.

The "nOb" controller seems to be the only alternative, which is smaller, but costs more and is never available. I'm not sure if they are even still making those. Image

So seems like Kontrol Master is it for this type of function. I would really like to just have the knob, and a small switch for the target type.

QVprod

23 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
16 Jul 2018

I really like the concept of the Master Kontrol and I'm still holding out for them to make a smaller, more compact version.

The "nOb" controller seems to be the only alternative, which is smaller, but costs more and is never available. I'm not sure if they are even still making those. Image

So seems like Kontrol Master is it for this type of function. I would really like to just have the knob, and a small switch for the target type.
Some of the Audient interfaces also have this functionality but it's obviously an audio interface so you’d be paying about the same amount perhaps without the knob behavior switching

joeyluck

23 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
23 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
23 Jul 2018

Some of the Audient interfaces also have this functionality but it's obviously an audio interface so you’d be paying about the same amount perhaps without the knob behavior switching
I might be mistaken, but I think with the Audient interfaces, the knob is only acting as a scroll wheel and only works with parameters of plugins that already support mouse scroll wheel for control?

QVprod

23 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
23 Jul 2018

I might be mistaken, but I think with the Audient interfaces, the knob is only acting as a scroll wheel and only works with parameters of plugins that already support mouse scroll wheel for control?
You're probably right. I haven't looked too much into it since I already have a KM.

O1B

23 Jul 2018

Thanks for the doepfer, FYI. Looks good.
electrofux wrote:
23 Jul 2018
I have once recreated a 1 Knob mouseover function with Bomes Midi Translator.

It is cool but not as cool as one might think. And that is because you have to tell the controller if the underlying knob is a fader, or a knob and some other third category. It would be cooler if something like that is integrated into the DAW itself.

Still thinking about those 1 Fader Channelstrip controllers as an addition.

Currently uisng a combination of Doepfer Pocket Dial, Ipad as a big ass LCD and Launchpad Mini to offer bankswitching and stuff.

Faastwalker

24 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jul 2018

The "nOb" controller seems to be the only alternative, which is smaller, but costs more and is never available. I'm not sure if they are even still making those.

What I really like about the Kontrol Master and the nOb is that there is no set-up, you can control every parameter with it & you can have that hands on control that is the bridge between the outside world and software. Of course we can have this with a plethora of MIDI controllers that are available. But I’ve not yet seen one that works really well – either two few knobs so not enough control over soft synths. Too many knobs & no visual feedback so you lose sense of what is controlling what. Probably one of the best solutions is the Nektar Panorama P1. But there’s really not many options out there like this. The one knob approach is a very interesting alternative solution.

Another thing that drives me nuts with Reason & mouse control is that if you mouse over a parameter, miss it slightly and click/drag you drag the whole device! Having the knob to control & mouse to select parameter would alleviate this problem completely. No more click, drag mishaps. I’d get one just for this! It’s worse if your using shift+mouse click/drag to use fine control. If you miss doing this you tend to drag the device, move it to a new space & un-cable it completely! It drives me spare. Bugger it, I’m ordering a Kontrol Master ASAP ;)

electrofux

25 Jul 2018

Btw the encoder on the Fader One seems to be dented. Which is ok for the displayed use cases but not optimal for parameter controls and which is one thing i dont like on my pocket dial. I will get a Midi Fighter Twister for that reason sooner or later.

The perfect controller doesnt exist and i think everyone has other ideas how it looks. Thats why i have gotten into Remote and made it myself.

pushedbutton

25 Jul 2018

I'd have a go at doing a little arduino project, probably a lot cheaper and more flexible.
Last edited by pushedbutton on 26 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

electrofux

26 Jul 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
25 Jul 2018
I'd have a go at doing a little arduino project, probably a lost cheaper and more flexible.
yeah, in case of a one knob controller a selfmade project might be alot cheaper and not that hard. As i said Bomes Midi Translater can translate midi to mouse movements and that is pretty much all you need. Sadly i have lost my little script which i used with a Mod Wheel but it only had a few entries and worked really good. I just found this way of controlling not perfect for me.

• Information