Computer Component Rising Prices

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
stfual
Posts: 114
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Contact:

12 Feb 2018

How do you feel about the Asrock motherboard? Reliable and configurable? Driver support? Can you turn everything you don't need off? They seem to be on the rise as a vendor but other than one disastrous build with Gigabyte I've always used Asus in the past.

The latest versions of reason and windows 10 creator seems to have introduced random stuttering and USB up/down problems into my elderly 2600K Z68 based system. I suspect it's the drivers for old hardware not being updated. I've been seriously considering an 8700K and Z370 build this week. I am a bit concerned that Z370 is an interim fudge against AMD and won't support new CPUs or Windows updates long term.

My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

12 Feb 2018

I've built with just about every well-known MB manufacturer over the last 25 years or so, both intel and amd chipsets, but always gravitated towards one or another for my personal builds. Over the last 4 years I found Asrock to be the most reliable, stable, compatible, and solid performing of all of them. Prior that for a long run of years it was Asus. Odd because Asrock used to be baby Asus, however they've surpassed them in my estimation, and I will continue to build with Asrock unless they start to diminish in quality like Asus did.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
Gorgon
Posts: 1233
Joined: 11 Mar 2016

13 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018
I've built with just about every well-known MB manufacturer over the last 25 years or so, both intel and amd chipsets, but always gravitated towards one or another for my personal builds. Over the last 4 years I found Asrock to be the most reliable, stable, compatible, and solid performing of all of them. Prior that for a long run of years it was Asus. Odd because Asrock used to be baby Asus, however they've surpassed them in my estimation, and I will continue to build with Asrock unless they start to diminish in quality like Asus did.
How so?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

13 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
13 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018
I've built with just about every well-known MB manufacturer over the last 25 years or so, both intel and amd chipsets, but always gravitated towards one or another for my personal builds. Over the last 4 years I found Asrock to be the most reliable, stable, compatible, and solid performing of all of them. Prior that for a long run of years it was Asus. Odd because Asrock used to be baby Asus, however they've surpassed them in my estimation, and I will continue to build with Asrock unless they start to diminish in quality like Asus did.
How so?
About what Gorgon? If you mean my comment about Asus diminishing, they became less reliable, especially with compatibility. They don't like the cold, seriously theres always been an issue for some reason with Asus MBs and cold. Even memory - you must run a solid memory tester initially like memtest, aside from the typical verifying qvl stuff. They have long-term issues, I had 2 systems fail after a couple years which is frankly unheard of for Asus, and aftet the 2nd was RMAd I never built another since going with Asrock - can handle everything you throw at them and haven't failed.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 4513
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

13 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
13 Feb 2018
About what Gorgon? If you mean my comment about Asus diminishing, they became less reliable, especially with compatibility. They don't like the cold, seriously theres always been an issue for some reason with Asus MBs and cold. Even memory - you must run a solid memory tester initially like memtest, aside from the typical verifying qvl stuff. They have long-term issues, I had 2 systems fail after a couple years which is frankly unheard of for Asus, and aftet the 2nd was RMAd I never built another since going with Asrock - can handle everything you throw at them and haven't failed.
Weird. I'm running 2 Asus motherboards right now. Run has been running 24/7 for 6 years without issue. The other is about 2 years old and is used a few days a week. Prior to that, I've had a variety of motherboards, but mostly Asus. I think I've had 1 Asus board fail on me in 15 years. Obviously, YMMV.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

13 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
13 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
13 Feb 2018
About what Gorgon? If you mean my comment about Asus diminishing, they became less reliable, especially with compatibility. They don't like the cold, seriously theres always been an issue for some reason with Asus MBs and cold. Even memory - you must run a solid memory tester initially like memtest, aside from the typical verifying qvl stuff. They have long-term issues, I had 2 systems fail after a couple years which is frankly unheard of for Asus, and aftet the 2nd was RMAd I never built another since going with Asrock - can handle everything you throw at them and haven't failed.
Weird. I'm running 2 Asus motherboards right now. Run has been running 24/7 for 6 years without issue. The other is about 2 years old and is used a few days a week. Prior to that, I've had a variety of motherboards, but mostly Asus. I think I've had 1 Asus board fail on me in 15 years. Obviously, YMMV.
Yep I ran Asus boards for about 10 years for clients and myself before switching to Asrock. I no longer build for others however I still have 2 Asus running here as well. Just clarified to him why I switched to Asrock.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

kitekrazy
Posts: 639
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

13 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018
How do you feel about the Asrock motherboard? Reliable and configurable? Driver support? Can you turn everything you don't need off? They seem to be on the rise as a vendor but other than one disastrous build with Gigabyte I've always used Asus in the past.

The latest versions of reason and windows 10 creator seems to have introduced random stuttering and USB up/down problems into my elderly 2600K Z68 based system. I suspect it's the drivers for old hardware not being updated. I've been seriously considering an 8700K and Z370 build this week. I am a bit concerned that Z370 is an interim fudge against AMD and won't support new CPUs or Windows updates long term.

My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.
All the systems I've built I never forked out major money on boards. An Asus or Asrock board under $150 will last as long as a $300 board. I've never had issues with Gigabyte, Asus and Asrock.

User avatar
4filegate
Posts: 822
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

14 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018
My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.
The "green vintage" - motherboard and the blue/white design? You can find it on some workstation WS Xeon motherboards.
R10 msi gt72 windows10 abluesky mediadesk 2.1 CME WaveIdea Bitstream 3X/Xkey37 4filegate YT ▢▢ allihoopa

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1001
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

14 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018
syncanonymous wrote:
31 Jan 2018
(ugh, I know...spent all that coin and didn’t buy a dvd drive...I gonna remedy that)
DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!
Is there any software that actually ships on Blu-ray? I think physical media is going the way of the Dodo. And most games consoles can play Blu-ray movies.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 4513
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

14 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
14 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018


DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!
Is there any software that actually ships on Blu-ray? I think physical media is going the way of the Dodo. And most games consoles can play Blu-ray movies.
Not the cheap drives, but there’s a plethora of free - legal - choices on the web. I primarily use my Blu-ray drive with MakeMKV to archive my discs onto my Plex server.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

14 Feb 2018

Man there's no better option for loading a new OS than Rufus and a stick. Don't even think about optical media, grab your OS, grab Rufus, and never look back. Does em all.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 4513
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

14 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Man there's no better option for loading a new OS than Rufus and a stick. Don't even think about optical media, grab your OS, grab Rufus, and never look back. Does em all.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Is this even needed still? You can create a bootable Windows 10 installation from within Windows using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
Psuper
Posts: 524
Joined: 29 May 2016

14 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Man there's no better option for loading a new OS than Rufus and a stick. Don't even think about optical media, grab your OS, grab Rufus, and never look back. Does em all.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Is this even needed still? You can create a bootable Windows 10 installation from within Windows using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
Rufus is the only app you need or want and works for every os out there. Try both, I hate MS's tool.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 4513
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

14 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Rufus is the only app you need or want and works for every os out there. Try both, I hate MS's tool.
I don't use any other OS other than Windows 10, but will give it a spin. Thanks
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

15 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018
Oquasec wrote:
01 Feb 2018
Yep. other areas are selling stuff higher than the actual manufacturer website these days cuz they can say it's all about convenience for pc parts.
Talking about region-free Blu-Ray players, it might be more regional licensing BS. I can pick up a region-free Blu-Ray player on Amazon, shipped in 2 days to my doorstep, for just $179 USD (which is about 143 Euro).

If that same deck is going for 1000 Euros in France, there's definitely some shady stuff going on!
Hmm, nope...I don't think multi region is inexpensively available in France :-/

I is going to the UK Mar-May and will pick one up then

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

15 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018
How do you feel about the Asrock motherboard? Reliable and configurable? Driver support? Can you turn everything you don't need off? They seem to be on the rise as a vendor but other than one disastrous build with Gigabyte I've always used Asus in the past.

The latest versions of reason and windows 10 creator seems to have introduced random stuttering and USB up/down problems into my elderly 2600K Z68 based system. I suspect it's the drivers for old hardware not being updated. I've been seriously considering an 8700K and Z370 build this week. I am a bit concerned that Z370 is an interim fudge against AMD and won't support new CPUs or Windows updates long term.

My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.
I am a newbie to PC building. The last desktop tower I operated was a Gateway 2000 233MHz PII.

When I did my research, a lot of forums and buyer reviews complained about ASUS lack of documentation and requirement for experienced builder's trading tools. I read many reviews of ASUS mobo being delivered DOA. I was originally specing for Xeon and had decided upon ASRock back then.

The Fatal1ty BIOS is very extensive...I have nothing but laptop OEMs to compare the ASRock BIOS to any competition.

As far as looks go, I was afraid this mobo would be a red painted olympics billboard...In fact there is a single, fine red painted line... The rest is black and grey... Don't let the red box fool you... You can disable all the onboard RGB...I wasn't gonna have any lighting either... Until I messed around with it... so I succumbed.

So far, I love it...I am going to get into OC I the coming year...

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 340
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

15 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
14 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018


DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!
Is there any software that actually ships on Blu-ray? I think physical media is going the way of the Dodo. And most games consoles can play Blu-ray movies.
Well, so much is downloads in our "modern" world... And my internet speed is 1.6 mbps at its very fastest
Steam is not an option

My PS2 will not play blu-ray ;-P

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests