New Mac book pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
simon.hultin

29 Oct 2017

Hi!

Im thinking about buying a new laptop for my studio. I have found a macbook pro (check link below)

I know its hard to say but how well dose this machine manage larger protects. Dose anyone have experience with the performance of this laptop

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/barba ... 9323.8908/

Best regards Simon.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

dana

29 Oct 2017

I've had that computer, i sold it on. It was the slightly faster 2.3Ghz version.

Its faster than any of the macbook airs since it is quad core.

It depends on what you are using, if you want to use a few low to moderate cpu consumption REs its fine.

But don't expect to create a symphony of expanse instances at medium or high quality settings with a ton of high-end vsts.

With any of the macbook laptops, you will be expected to bounce to audio a lot to finish a song.

If you want to run a lot of plugins and not have to worry about bouncing audio at all most of the time you need a pc with a 5960x and the fastest ram you can get (3Ghz +) .. or mainly stick to the old built-in instruments and effects.

simon.hultin

29 Oct 2017

dana wrote:I've had that computer, i sold it on. It was the slightly faster 2.3Ghz version.

Its faster than any of the macbook airs since it is quad core.

It depends on what you are using, if you want to use a few low to moderate cpu consumption REs its fine.

But don't expect to create a symphony of expanse instances at medium or high quality settings with a ton of high-end vsts.

With any of the macbook laptops, you will be expected to bounce to audio a lot to finish a song.

If you want to run a lot of plugins and not have to worry about bouncing audio at all most of the time you need a pc with a 5960x and the fastest ram you can get (3Ghz +) .. or mainly stick to the old built-in instruments and effects.
Thanks alot!
That was exactly the info i needed!

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Oct 2017

I have a similar-spec MacBook Pro and I use a lot of REs and VSTs without bouncing, but I also don't generally make huge projects. Most of my Reason files are under 10 tracks (and usually no more than 2-3 Expanse instances).

If you want the portability and prefer MacOS, the MacBook Pro is a great option. If you want to layer Expanses like they're Subtractors, though, I agree that you'll want to go with something less elegant but more powerful.

O1B

30 Oct 2017

I saw the specs but can't get back to the page. You may not be in the USA so access to NEW NEW macs seem be harder, slower, $$$$, but Ill give you what I got.

2015 - 1600 RAM <1000 R/W specs, if I remember. The price i think was ~2300 USD?
Sounds high. I wouldn't - unless my info on your specs are all wrong.

I have a late 2016 and the new TBar 2017. That's where the changes are.

- I like the Late- 2016 for the USB-2 vs ( usb-c TB3 -'17).
Post- 2013 macs processes audio well.
- 2017 - Kaby Lake. 2300 RAM. 3000Gb/s Read/Write SSDs... and the incessant OS X upgrades.
careful there...

2015- 2016, apple stopped making that MBP - unless you specifically ordered one - because everyone was waiting for Kaby Lake throughput upgrade. Pre '17 MBP are part of the old system... [see dana]

That's where the issue is with Apple.
But, keep in mind, if you can get the Kaby MBP, or wait for the next upgrade, you will have a solid computer for .... 2 years... sorry. that's how it seems... - if you want tot RUN heavy VSTs, REs, whatever. I think mac now turns their attention to batteries/power consumption.

If you're on PC, I 'd love one for the PC only VSTs, but
- same OS issues (more so), build quality, OS X thangs... SPEED, ???Brand???

The new iPhone X's A11 Bionic is faster than NEW 2017 i5 MBPs (13") ...
Godspeed,
O1B

Check your link.. it may be broken
simon.hultin wrote:
29 Oct 2017
Hi!

Im thinking about buying a new laptop for my studio. I have found a macbook pro (check link below)

I know its hard to say but how well dose this machine manage larger protects. Dose anyone have experience with the performance of this laptop

Best regards Simon.

simon.hultin

09 Nov 2017

O1B wrote:I saw the specs but can't get back to the page. You may not be in the USA so access to NEW NEW macs seem be harder, slower, $$$$, but Ill give you what I got.

2015 - 1600 RAM <1000 R/W specs, if I remember. The price i think was ~2300 USD?
Sounds high. I wouldn't - unless my info on your specs are all wrong.

I have a late 2016 and the new TBar 2017. That's where the changes are.

- I like the Late- 2016 for the USB-2 vs ( usb-c TB3 -'17).
Post- 2013 macs processes audio well.
- 2017 - Kaby Lake. 2300 RAM. 3000Gb/s Read/Write SSDs... and the incessant OS X upgrades.
careful there...

2015- 2016, apple stopped making that MBP - unless you specifically ordered one - because everyone was waiting for Kaby Lake throughput upgrade. Pre '17 MBP are part of the old system... [see dana]

That's where the issue is with Apple.
But, keep in mind, if you can get the Kaby MBP, or wait for the next upgrade, you will have a solid computer for .... 2 years... sorry. that's how it seems... - if you want tot RUN heavy VSTs, REs, whatever. I think mac now turns their attention to batteries/power consumption.

If you're on PC, I 'd love one for the PC only VSTs, but
- same OS issues (more so), build quality, OS X thangs... SPEED, ???Brand???

The new iPhone X's A11 Bionic is faster than NEW 2017 i5 MBPs (13") ...
Godspeed,
O1B

Check your link.. it may be broken
simon.hultin wrote:
29 Oct 2017
Hi!

Best regards Simon.

Thanks for your help, I think Im going for a more powerful MBP.

simon.hultin

11 Nov 2017

I have keept on looking for the right laptop and found these two. I need some help with wish of them i should go for.

Nr 1 (older version)
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/50108 ... na-display

Nr 2 (2017)
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/50110 ... space-grey

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Nov 2017

Hmm, for about $120 USD more, the older one gives you a 512Gb SSD instead of the 256. I'd say that's worth skipping the touch bar and USB-C.

I'm thinking about it this way: You will probably find you need more space sooner than you will find you need USB-C.

simon.hultin

13 Nov 2017

fieldframe wrote:Hmm, for about $120 USD more, the older one gives you a 512Gb SSD instead of the 256. I'd say that's worth skipping the touch bar and USB-C.

I'm thinking about it this way: You will probably find you need more space sooner than you will find you need USB-C.
Thanks alot!

What about the procrssor the older version got a i7 4th gen boosted to 4,0ghz.
The newer version got a i7 7th gen boosted to 3,8.
Is there a big differens between the generations so that i should avoid the older one?

• Information