Thinking of Getting a Mac!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

27 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
27 Oct 2017
OK, so explain the hostility towards the hackintosh approach.
Its a terrible hassle. Its not like sticking the components together and installing OSX at all, thats what you seem to imagine. Updates for anything are a nightmare as they might not work and in most cases require you do to things and run scripts before and/or after. If you're in the market for a Mac you're somewhere between a PlayStation and a PC in terms of configurability / simplicity ratio. and most probably you want it that way. The hardware is the only expensive thing in the Apple world though - on the PlayStation it's the software :)

pushedbutton

27 Oct 2017

OK well in that case I stand by my statement. I wouldn't be phased by the extra steps required to maintain a hackintosh. If you're put off by the hassle then fine but I only mentioned the route I would take after weighing up the pro's and con's. I'm in no way dictating to anyone else what they should do, just presenting an option.
The OP stated that the reason they wanted a Mac was so that they could use Logic X, not that they would prefer to have a hassle free experience, which is supposedly the big draw with apple products.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

normen

27 Oct 2017

Well you still don't know what that hassle actually is. I mean if somebody told me I have to clean toilets to get something I would want to have a look at the toilets first.. Anyway, I neither see you dictating anything nor do I see any actual hostility so I'll leave it at that while thats still the case.

jlgrimes

27 Oct 2017

A Mac mini (the newer one) has a relatively weak processor. Only Dual Core. Probably fine for just Audio and most Reason stock devices but not if you plan on using heavy REs and VSTs such as Serum, DIVA, Reaktor.

The 2012 version is a Quad Core but it is 5 year old technology.

Macbook Pro is probably the better option (especially if you want something less than 5 years old). Apple has a refurbished section or anywhere that sells used PCs as you won't get much deals buying brand new Macs (unless you are a student, or maybe work for a company that has Apple discounts).

QVprod

27 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
27 Oct 2017
It's not as simple to deal with. OS updates can brick the machine. OS install isn't straightforward. Some OS features may not work as they would on an actual mac.

EdGrip

28 Oct 2017

If you look at Logic as a DAW that requires a specific expensive computer (that you don't currently have) to run... You need to REALLY want Logic. Which is fair enough.

I tend to view iMacs as the worst of all worlds.
All the portability of a desktop computer, but with all the maintenance and accessibility/upgradability problems of a laptop - and with the same permanent built-in monitor that you're stuck with in an ever-changing world.
So of all the Mac options, iMacs would be bottom of my own list if I were looking. If I needed portability, I'd get the best used MBP I could afford; if not, the best used Mac Pro or PowerMac I could afford. I suspect for the same price they'd outperform a new Mac Mini, but I don't know.

I wouldn't try to spend PC prices on a Mac, and certainly not on a brand new Mac. You get so little computer, comparatively. If you're gonna Mac, it's best to save up as hard as you can and splash out on the better spec.

dana

28 Oct 2017

Something else to consider, Reason 10 using grain in a song.

Buffer of 1024 on a mac, 2 bars dsp - crackles not usable. (2015 macbook pro 15" - i7 Quad core 2.8Ghz 16Gb)

Buffer of 1024 on a pc, ALL bars dsp, loads of nebula 4, vst plugins, re's - no problem (5960x)

Similar cost to buy/build - even 2nd hand.

O1B

28 Oct 2017

Wow. That comment caused a stir.

On the one hand, there's the OP's request, and a flurry of mis/re-directions - which is always good - but how far, and to what end? To wit, building a mac....? C'mon Son! I hope the comments that followed gave some insights into how making music while building a hackintosh, an i7 Kaby - at that - will likely lead to failure at both.

Have you built a Kaby Lake i7? Seen one built? Im wondering if you've done it?

Seems these forums need two sub-threads for each topic:
One for suggestions IN the direction of the OP,
one for suggestions AWAY from the OP - (no matter what we tell ourselves.)
- I was only trying to... blah, blah, blah...

Trolling would go way down.

: I'm looking for a Girlfriend, tall, svelt, athletic, knobby
: I'd like you to meet Jennet Clairny
: ... that's not.... what i meant...

Creativemind

28 Oct 2017

Gorgon wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Hi All!

I'm thinking of getting a Mac
Why?
VGA
W...What?
'Cause I'm thinking of getting Logic and VGA is just something I read on another forum. DVI (not DVA) to VGA lead cames with Macs someone said.

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

pushedbutton

28 Oct 2017

O1B wrote:
28 Oct 2017
Wow. That comment caused a stir.

Have you built a Kaby Lake i7? Seen one built? Im wondering if you've done it?
I already said I've not done it, I've already said I don't use mac.
I've already said you can LOOK INTO IT. I didn't say YOU MUST DO IT!
Here's a couple of random videos that illustrate the process and potential problems.
Too many people scaremongering on behalf of daddy mac here.
Think for yourself.

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

normen

28 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
28 Oct 2017
Too many people scaremongering on behalf of daddy mac here.
Well if we ignore OB‘s personal style of conveying information I don‘t really see anyone scaremongering here. Just look at it like this: Somebody suggests to do something and you‘re the guy that did that and pulled his hair out while doing it. I guess you would at least mention that, right? :)

pushedbutton

28 Oct 2017

I don't really see your point.
Just cos I suggest you go to the cafe overlooked by the cliff I don't expect you'd think 'but I'd have to throw myself off the cliff to get there.'

normen

28 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
28 Oct 2017
Just cos I suggest you go to the cafe overlooked by the cliff I don't expect you'd think 'but I'd have to throw myself off the cliff to get there.'
I don't know why you change the example but to take yours: If *you* fell off that cliff - not because you were too stupid - and somebody says he wants to go there you wouldn't mention it and warn him?

Again, nobody says you can't say what you said or that OP shouldn't use a hackintosh, what people (including me) say is that they did it and that its not easy and that they didn't enjoy it.

esselfortium

28 Oct 2017

I built a Hackintosh several years ago that I use for all of my production work (Reason, Photoshop, etc.), and it's great. I've been a Mac user for as long as I've been using computers, and this machine has been as stable and reliable as any Apple hardware I've had.

I originally installed macOS 10.10 Yosemite on it, and updated to 10.12 Sierra via the app store without significant problems. If you learn how to inject kexts properly with Clover and avoid using bundle packages like Multibeast, updating the OS is generally a pretty minor concern.

I upgraded the hardware earlier this year with an additional hard drive and a nicer video card. At some point in another year or two I'll probably upgrade the motherboard and CPU (right now it's got an i7-4790k) for a few hundred dollars. I'm looking forward to that a lot more than I used to dread having to drop a ton of money on a completely new Mac every several years.

Hackintosh takes some tech-savviness to begin with and a willingness to research, learn, and be your own tech support, but the value of the r/hackintosh reddit and other hackintosh forums can't be understated -- there's a treasure trove of information out there and a lot of very helpful people willing to answer questions. It's definitely not for everyone, but personally I am very happy with mine.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Gorgon

29 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
28 Oct 2017
Hackintosh takes some tech-savviness to begin with and a willingness to research, learn, and be your own tech support
This is why it will never work of the starter of this topic. No chance.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

29 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
28 Oct 2017
'Cause I'm thinking of getting Logic and VGA is just something I read on another forum. DVI (not DVA) to VGA lead cames with Macs someone said.
VGA is obsolete, why would you even consider using it.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

O1B

30 Oct 2017

I appreciate Normen mentioning my 'personal style.' I really, really mean no harm.
But I dont want to make this about me, so, think of it this way:

You bring a box if no-dads, knick-knacks, and do-hickeys, dump them out, and say 'build a Kaby Laky i7 MBP.... But, ... I want to make music... i know but this will work.... Yes, but i want to make - - i know. just put the pieces together and... Can you understand?

Gorgon tech-savy response is NOT followed by simple step-by-step instructions.
But, if he can offer some up to help you, me and OP, I dont use IGNORE so ill be reading...

Now, if I remember you correctly, you used to have a little mouse gif that was Cool. If that was you, I used to listen to all the music you posted - i just havent had time on this site lately - I just never commented. Lots and lots of happy chip tunes if I remember. You were about a good time and making music.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7502967&p=349903&h ... 1#p349903
You are also the person who bought a broken AMP for $30 (full $80) paid another $20 and then another $10 only to hear from another member that that old ART AMP was crap.
"I have a Art Tube MP. It is shit and noisy. It was given to me"
Then, I suggested the NEW ART TUBE MIX for you - and posted solid reviews of their Stereo Compressor and 31 band EQ:Art 231. You say ' i..... heard .... the company was awesome and shiite - with no evidence' You may have to accept that you're that guy that doesn't really want to SOLVE the PROBLEM. .... just TINKER with broken things...

maybe, I'm wrong, but this hackintosh thing seems right up the same alley.
If NORMEN is saying Hackintosh-ing is a PITA, who do else do you need to at LEAST consider being reasonable? I read all your words, Normen. I'd be an IDIOT not to - so I'm glad you're back. And, we all have styles, don't we?

PushButton, make a song and cool out.

And - I see - you do the alihoopah! thing... i .. don't... so that's probably why i dont hear anymore.
pushedbutton wrote:
28 Oct 2017

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
28 Oct 2017
I tend to view iMacs as the worst of all worlds.
All the portability of a desktop computer, but with all the maintenance and accessibility/upgradability problems of a laptop - and with the same permanent built-in monitor that you're stuck with in an ever-changing world.
So of all the Mac options, iMacs would be bottom of my own list if I were looking. If I needed portability, I'd get the best used MBP I could afford; if not, the best used Mac Pro or PowerMac I could afford. I suspect for the same price they'd outperform a new Mac Mini, but I don't know.
I think it totally depends on the user and their needs…

As an iMac user for well over a decade now, my experience says otherwise. I ditched the "pro" tower approach because it just took up space and I never needed the "advantages" (and the cost, and the noise) of the system. Once I ditched PCI cards, which was when I got the first iMac, I never looked back.

I've also owned a MacBook Pro or two, and besides the tiny screen size and underpowered processor, I DID appreciate the portability (though hardly took advantage of it). Mostly it sat on my desk, often with an icepack under it to keep it from overheating when working on big projects.

Finally, the iMac gives the most power for the least 'buck' compared to the other two options IMO, so if money is an issue, you don't need portability (though I've taken the iMac to MANY live gigs), and can't take a hit on the available power and screen size, then maybe an iMac is for you.

And to be clear, I'm NOT saying to get an iMac, I'm just providing another experience to consider when making this decision.

Written on an iMac…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

30 Oct 2017

:thumbs_up:

normen

30 Oct 2017

O1B wrote:
30 Oct 2017
I appreciate Normen mentioning my 'personal style.' I really, really mean no harm.
You sometimes seem to forget that in a forum we only get the lyrics, not the complete music ;)

yamguitar

30 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
30 Oct 2017
As an iMac user for well over a decade now, my experience says otherwise.
I wholeheartedly agree. My last four computers, stretching back to 2000, have all been iMacs, and they have all been fantastic. I would happily pit the stability, specs, and performance of any iMac I've owned against any other desktop of the time. Plus, these days Apple has been ramping up the relative power of the iMac line steadily, as more and more professionals choose them as opposed to a more sprawling tower system.

...and, obviously, an iMac isn't as portable as a laptop, but I have occasionally taken mine on extended vacations and such. I would never try that with all the components of a typical desktop.

fieldframe
RE Developer

31 Oct 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Suggesting someone try building a hackintosh is like suggesting someone try boat ownership.

A hackintosh is a massive, ongoing project. Even when you finally have everything up and running without too many compromises, every update to the OS is a crapshoot that might bring the whole thing back down again. It’s absolutely not something you’d want to rely on for everyday audio work.

dana

31 Oct 2017

If you want to play with logic etc. just get an old 13" 2011 / 2012 macbook pro i5 or i7 for around 300 quid, you can upgrade the sata to ssd and the memory to 16Gb if you want later. It has firewire, ethernet, thunderbolt, etc.

• Information