Quick Noob question!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Darwin

12 Mar 2017

Reason 9.2
Focusrite 2I4
Mac OSX Sierra
Roland FA-06

I cannot figure out when running my Keyboard into my audio interface If I should switch it to Line* level or Instrument* level?? I've found out that both can work depending on this and that. What do most people use for keyboards? Line or instrument??

I have been using *Line from day 1. The reason I started looking into it was that it seems I dont get much volume out of my Monitors. Have not made a recording yet, just trying to feel it all out.
:question: Darwin

Creativemind

12 Mar 2017

So I'm guessing your midi controller has no usb option?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Darwin

12 Mar 2017

Yes! It is a NEKTAR Panorama P4

Im playing Keyboard thru my audio interface because that is the only way to amplify it other than headphones. Just want to use the FA-06 standalone for now, when I get my head around Reason Im sure I'll integrate it but for now I just want to use the Focusrit to run it through my monitors. Make any sense?

Darwin

12 Mar 2017

I've only had the Fa-06 for 2 days. I just want to listen to all the sounds and learn it with the best audio quality I can get. Thats what i'm trying to do for now

Olivier

12 Mar 2017

For keyboards i use Line. Especially since line on my interface is balanced, and my synths have balanced outputs (using TRS cable).
The instrument inputs i have are not balanced.

About what to use, instrument level is usually that what you get from a guitar or mic. It is something that usually needs some kind of amplification.
Line level is that what you get from synths in general, and line level outputs of outboard devices such as for example FX processers. It is often balanced and has enough level that it does not have to be amplified.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Darwin

12 Mar 2017

Ahhhh.. Thank you Olivier!

I'll have to look into this Balanced/Unbalanced thing and find out what I'm working with.

• Information